Recommendations sought - best netbooks?

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
my wife has informed me that she WANTS a netbook, and I am to find her one. She'll use it to enter sales data when she is at cooking shows (she sells Pampered Chef), and for email. Her only instruction to me was that she "wants a red one!" :)

Anyways, I have been checking them out for a bit, but am curious what people think in terms of the different options. Don't plan to spend a ton on this, so looking at Asus, Acer, Samsung. WinXP is perfect for her, as her software will run on it, and I figure I can add ram if needed.

I am open to suggestions on your experiences with different models. AND am particularly interested in thoughts about keyboard issues. As the reviews say that is really where these things differ.

Thanks guys.

Verizon wireless is getting ready to release one that is 50 bucks (but you have to have the 50 dollar data add on package) so if she needs to check her mail while she is out, but as far as reliability I read somewhere that acer makes a great netbook.

Not that I think they sell what you're looking for, but I advise AVOIDING WinBook. I recall reading about them having the lowest customer satisfaction scores, mostly due to having the highest failure rates.

Got a Asus 1000HE from Beach camera about 2 weeks ago, for $379, and $29 for 2gig memory stick, and
free shipping.
So far, I like it a lot. I added eeeubuntu to it, in a dual boot setup with XP.
Only downside is, that it is hard seeing the keys on the keyboard at night, if the room isn't lit up a little.
It has a built in web cam, and wireless 802.11n, and 3 usb 2.0
Runs fairly quick for a netbook.

Got a Asus 1000HE from Beach camera about 2 weeks ago, for $379, and $29 for 2gig memory stick, and
free shipping.
So far, I like it a lot. I added eeeubuntu to it, in a dual boot setup with XP.
Only downside is, that it is hard seeing the keys on the keyboard at night, if the room isn't lit up a little.
It has a built in web cam, and wireless 802.11n, and 3 usb 2.0
Runs fairly quick for a netbook.

Thanks. Did it come with 1 1GB stick, or two 512 sticks?

All that matters is-"Is it red":D

It has to run her stuff, but she is not really concerned about the specifics; she trusts that I'll get a machine that does what she needs.

THe Asus only comes in black or blue, but she might be willing to get the blue one. :)

It has to run her stuff, but she is not really concerned about the specifics; she trusts that I'll get a machine that does what she needs.

THe Asus only comes in black or blue, but she might be willing to get the blue one. :)

If all she needs to do is Email and a simple database any laptop will do that. :up

The Acer Aspire One [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AOD150-1920-10-1-Inch-Netbook/dp/B001QFZFSK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1239733784&sr=1-6"]Acer Aspire One (10 inch model)[/ame] comes in red and has some pretty good reviews. [ame]http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/acer-aspire-one-10-inch.aspx[/ame]

I ended up getting the Asus, even though it is not -- gasp -- red. I got her the blue one, which she thought was nice enough. I got it from CDW-G for $389, with free shipping and no tax (will arrive tomorrow as UPS from Chicago is basically over-night).

I liked the new keyboard on the 100HE and the 6-cell battery was definitely a sell.

Now I need to figure out how I can get her to let me get one too. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts