Record Plus on 622 unit

U.Whish

Original poster
May 19, 2009
Oklahoma
Hi folks,
As you can see I am new to this and all forums in general. Hope I don't do something wrong here.

Sometimes we will be watching a program and when there is a different program beginning to record, the 622 will jump to that channel, generally causing us to miss the last 2 minutes of what we were watching. This is becoming VERY annoying and we don't seem to be able to correct it either. I say "sometimes" because it seems that some of the scheduled recordings do not do this, while others do. I spoke to Dish and they told me to have everything setup to record to the 2nd tuner, which is the bedroom, which is hardly ever used. This has been no help, at all.

As added input, I have noticed when looking at the scheduled recordings, that some indicate a 1 and others indicate a 2. Not sure why!

Any help will obviously be much appreciated.
Dave

The "jump" to the recording has to do with the options button found on the recording setup screen. There is a default of 1 minute to give the extra time at the beginning of the recording so not to miss any of that program. Also note that the channel with change only when the program is set to record on tuner 1, which is the tuner set to the HD tv. When program is set to tv2 the same thing happens if you should be viewing the program on that tv. The number you see on the scheduled recording pages refers to the tuner the recording is set to (1 = tv 1 or your HD tv, 2 = secondary tv or the one in the bedroom.)

You'll need to set them up to record to the 2nd TV Tuner. This is different than the second TV. The tuner is just a way that the 622 recognizes where to record. You can still access the recording from the main TV (and the 2nd TV) when you want to watch it. It is good that the bedroom is rarely used, that means it won't interfere when the 622 switches that station to record your other show. Both tuners can record in HD, so don't worry about that aspect.

The scheduled recordings indicate which tuner it will be using. So, if you see a 1 that means it will be from your 1st tuner, which is connected to your main television. So if you are watching something else at this time, it could interfere. I sometimes will skip some of the shows because they do interfere. For instance, I'll make it skip the 9pm show of something on the history channel because I know it repeats at midnight, when I'm not watching TV, and can record that one.

If you have an antenna hooked up you also gain another "tuner". This will record just the OTA stations for you, so you could record up to 3 things at once.

I hope that helps and explains some things.

Make sure you do not have 2 programs set to record at the same time also. If you do, side 1 (the HDTV) will switch to one of the programs to record.

Hey guys, You are the greatest. I now understand what is going on. So, I will go thru all of the timers to be sure they are set for the tuner #2.

Yeah, Max, I learned real quick that there was a lot of History channel programs that were repeated in the wee hours allowing me to use the dvr for something else, in prime-time.

Thanks again to all of you!
Dave

I sometimes will skip some of the shows because they do interfere. For instance, I'll make it skip the 9pm show of something on the history channel because I know it repeats at midnight, when I'm not watching TV, and can record that one.
This is one if my biggest pet peeves with the DVR though. It should be able to figure this out itself and go ahead and record it at the later time automatically. I shouldn't have to go in and babysit it to tell it to skip the earlier recording so something lower in priority can record.

Ideally, this would be configurable, so if you didn't want it to work the way I've described, then it would operate like it does now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts