Recording 1 Channel, Watching another!!??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

analoguesque

Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Why does DirecTV DVR require 2 seperate signals to watch one channel while recording another?

Using a splitter does not work. Why? :what

Logically (in my mind anyway :eek: ), the signal is decoded by the DVR box, so why wouldn't a splitter work?

I would appreciate any feedback on this because I'm pretty bummed that i can't use an el-cheapo splitter to record one channel and watch another. :(

Thanks
Ian

el cheapo splitter can't handle the switching of 13-18 volts that come down from the sky

Your channels are on Transponders... thus different channels, different transponders... which require different voltage... hope this helps!

anyone else?

I have heard the only way to do this is with a stacker/destacker.

not sure what a stacker is but the multi-switch is what they are now calling a voltage switch. this is whats required unless you have the newer phase3 dish with built in switch.

charper1 said:
not sure what a stacker is but the multi-switch is what they are now calling a voltage switch. this is whats required unless you have the newer phase3 dish with built in switch.

How does the multi-switch work? For example, how would I use it to split the signal into 2 so that my DVR can have 2 inputs?

BTW, DirecTV hinted that the solution was a multi-switch, although they weren't exactly forthcoming on the support :( . I was told to speak to the techie where I purchased the DVR from. Think the guy at Circuit City who sold it to me is going to be able to help? Mmmm, I'm not so sure about that. :rolleyes:

Much appreciate the help, thanks.

Ian

I'm telling ya the only solution you will have is either run the second line from your dish to your Dtivo or get a stacker/destacker setup.

A multiswitch will not work.

022266 said:
el cheapo splitter can't handle the switching of 13-18 volts that come down from the sky

Your channels are on Transponders... thus different channels, different transponders... which require different voltage... hope this helps!

anyone else?
Enlighten us on how they manage to send 13-18 volts 22 thousand miles without a wire.
This must be a hell of a satellite.

dishjockey said:
Enlighten us on how they manage to send 13-18 volts 22 thousand miles without a wire.
This must be a hell of a satellite.

The voltage is provided by the IRD, through your homes cabling to the LNB on the dish. That 13/18 voltage changes the direction of the circular polarity in the LNB to receive odd and even transponders.

Neutron said:
I'm telling ya the only solution you will have is either run the second line from your dish to your Dtivo or get a stacker/destacker setup.

A multiswitch will not work.

The pricing is extremely prohibitive though. I may as well install another DirecTV DVR upstairs and it would be less than half the cost :no

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)