Recording buffer on 622 ??

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
I thought the 522 I had in the past operated in a manner that it was ALWAYS recording whatever channel it was tuned to, even when you were watching a pre-recorded show. For example, if I'm tuned to Discovery and go into the DVR menu and watch something, it will continue to record Discovery in the background such that when I stop watching the pre-recorded show and go back to Discovery, I could rewind (up to one hour). Did the 522 work like that ?? I recall that the owner's manual even emphasized this but don't remember reading anything of the sort in the 622's manual.

My HD-DVR from Time Warner did operate this way too and it was really nice. Another example was watching ER by pausing it right at the beginning and waiting 15-20 minutes to start watching it. When the show was over and you want to watch the 11pm news, yes, you'd likely jump to "live" but you could rewind to the beginning of the news. Seems I can't do that now.

Yeah, Tivo does that too. That is one thing that I miss with the 622 (and the 942 for that matter).

The 522 and 625 will continue to buffer while you watch a pre-recorded DVR, but only the background tuner will buffer. If you want to watch a pre-recorded DVR, and you want both the background and foreground tuner to buffer, then you have to "record the foreground tuner. I posted a really long explaination of how the tuners buffer in an earlier post. It may also be in a thread about how to use the DVR's

Please go to the "How To's" thread and you will see a link for "how to buffer 2 tuners (single mode)" or similar title, to see full exlplainatio.
Thanks

Yeah, I understand there is a work around, but I really wish it would just do it like Tivo.

You mean, you want it to work much more slowly and report your viewings, and download stuff it "thinks" you want?

Let us count our blessings.

:) I am well aware of the Tivo problems and I am very happy with both my 942 and my 622, however, this is one thing that I wish they would change. Not a huge deal. But it was nice.

Yeah, maybe I shot my mouth off. I'm just very happy with my ViP622, relieved it wasn't like the 921 when IT first came out.

I asked if the 522 worked like that to be sure I wasn't imagining it but I'm 100% concerned with how the 622 works NOW. I was hoping it operated similarly and am not sure why Dish would remove this feature. I have the 622 now, not a 522, so if the 622 doesn't work this way, I don't care how the 522/625 buffers work...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)