Recording from live TV

It might depend on what specific equipment you have but here's how I do it on my VIP211k. I hit the Back button and take it back to the beginning of the show, then hit Record and it starts recording from the beginning.
My antiquated 722k works similarly.

Recording Live TV in progress should (and does, for me with H3 and even legacy DishPro models) work like this:

1. If you have been tuned to the Live channel since BEFORE the current program started (as in you first tuned to the channel with a show, and then later that show ended and another new show started), pressing the REC button will save and record the ENTIRE newly started program--from its beginning--From any place in the show BEFORE it ends, provided you were tuned to that show BEFORE it started on that same channel. This means the entire buffer containing that current show airing will be saved in its entirety.

2. If you have tuned to a channel with a show already in progress, then pressing the record button will save a recording ONLY from the moment you press the record button. In other words, if you tune to a show already in progress and wait, say, 10 minutes before you press the Record button, then you will ONLY get a recording from the moment you pressed record and the previous ten minutes buffer is purged and NOT saved as part of the recording.

3. If you have tuned to a show already in progress, and watch that show for some time before realizing that you would like to save the content you've already watched along with the remainder of the show, then you can REW back as little (say you just want to save as far back as a few minutes before, but not more than that because you just want to pick up where you left off for later viewing and don't need the entire buffer of what you've already watched) or as far back as the entire buffer, and then press Record. That will save the a recording from the point you have REW to--including the entire buffer if you REW all the way to when you can REW no further--and to the end of the scheduled show time. *Remember, if you were already tuned to that channel BEFORE that show began, then just press RECORD (as stated in #1), and that will save the entire program. You don't need to monkey around getting REW to just the right spot that is the start of the show.

4. If you tune to a show already in progress, and you would like to see in its entirety, rather then a sloppy or incomplete recording, look for the message on the bottom right of the screen that states, "Press Select to see this show from the beginning," and press SELECT while the message is still displayed, and you are offered either the entire show as a (free) VOD or a list of repeat broadcasts ("Showtimes" button will present a list of subsequent showtimes of the same episode for recording) of the very same show episode or both VOD and later broadcasts in the next 7-8 days. You chose which you prefer (I often pick BOTH--one at a time--VOD and later repeat broadcast to cover my bases). Also, if easier or you miss the message to watch from the beginning, you can press the INFO button and you should see some options near the left bottom that often (but not always) include VOD or repeat broadcasts as options so that you can see the entire episode from the beginning. Of course, you just move the on-screen selector onto a the list of repeat broadcasts and select the one you want to record and the timer is set automatically. The list will include if the showing is in HD or SD and on WHICH channel because a few channels are offered in both HD and SD such as Disney Channel and the premium movie channels.

There are a few times when the VOD option for a show/episode is not offered in the INFO screen or via message, but if you manually search the VOD, that episode is, INDEED, available to VOD. It is an annoying quirk of the Dish VOD, so don't assume that just because it is not listed as on option in the INFO screen that is isn't truly listed and available on VOD.

5. Lastly, if you tune to a show or series already in progress and there are no other options to view from the beginning (VOD or later repeat broadcasts), then I just select "Record Seires" from the INFO screen in case the show airs after the 7-8 EPG period, and often it records the same show/episode fairly soon, but there are a few times when that show/episode may not air for weeks or even months, but the DVR records it for me to watch from the beginning. Also, the VOD library may add that show/episode some days or weeks later from when you first viewed the live broadcast in progress, so keep checking/search VOD persistently.

I often use #4 because I don't always know in the first few minutes if I want to see a show in its entirety when I channel browse, but I always take a notice of the "Start from the beginning" on-screen message.

I hope that makes sense. There are a lot of things the Hopper or other Dish DVR's do that are not documented because features are added over time and known mostly to power users. Good luck.

I would just add to #1 above that the guide information is not always accurate to the exact minute when the show starts. So, the show may have actually started a minute or two before the start time listed in the guide information. In that case, relying on a simple press of the record button to get the entire show would actually cut off the first minute or two of the show. Therefore, the method in #3 above is still the best option, even if you tuned to the channel before the show actually started.

From the last paragraph of #4 above:
There are a few times when the VOD option for a show/episode is not offered in the INFO screen or via message, but if you manually search the VOD, that episode is, INDEED, available to VOD. It is an annoying quirk of the Dish VOD, so don't assume that just because it is not listed as on option in the INFO screen that is isn't truly listed and available on VOD.
On the Wally, I tend to find that the Episodes list includes more episodes than are actually available on VOD at the moment, with episodes that were recently on VOD (or about to be added to VOD) showing up on the list with Availability listed as "Not Available." The cases where a search is necessary in order to find more episodes tend to be because some episodes from the same series have been incorrectly placed in a separate folder through the VOD menu. For these reasons, I fully agree with the recommendation in #5 above, to keep checking the VOD list often.

Recording Live TV in progress should (and does, for me with H3 and even legacy DishPro models) work like this:

1. If you have been tuned to the Live channel since BEFORE the current program started (as in you first tuned to the channel with a show, and then later that show ended and another new show started), pressing the REC button will save and record the ENTIRE newly started program--from its beginning--From any place in the show BEFORE it ends, provided you were tuned to that show BEFORE it started on that same channel. This means the entire buffer containing that current show airing will be saved in its entirety.

2. If you have tuned to a channel with a show already in progress, then pressing the record button will save a recording ONLY from the moment you press the record button. In other words, if you tune to a show already in progress and wait, say, 10 minutes before you press the Record button, then you will ONLY get a recording from the moment you pressed record and the previous ten minutes buffer is purged and NOT saved as part of the recording.

3. If you have tuned to a show already in progress, and watch that show for some time before realizing that you would like to save the content you've already watched along with the remainder of the show, then you can REW back as little (say you just want to save as far back as a few minutes before, but not more than that because you just want to pick up where you left off for later viewing and don't need the entire buffer of what you've already watched) or as far back as the entire buffer, and then press Record. That will save the a recording from the point you have REW to--including the entire buffer if you REW all the way to when you can REW no further--and to the end of the scheduled show time. *Remember, if you were already tuned to that channel BEFORE that show began, then just press RECORD (as stated in #1), and that will save the entire program. You don't need to monkey around getting REW to just the right spot that is the start of the show.

4. If you tune to a show already in progress, and you would like to see in its entirety, rather then a sloppy or incomplete recording, look for the message on the bottom right of the screen that states, "Press Select to see this show from the beginning," and press SELECT while the message is still displayed, and you are offered either the entire show as a (free) VOD or a list of repeat broadcasts ("Showtimes" button will present a list of subsequent showtimes of the same episode for recording) of the very same show episode or both VOD and later broadcasts in the next 7-8 days. You chose which you prefer (I often pick BOTH--one at a time--VOD and later repeat broadcast to cover my bases). Also, if easier or you miss the message to watch from the beginning, you can press the INFO button and you should see some options near the left bottom that often (but not always) include VOD or repeat broadcasts as options so that you can see the entire episode from the beginning. Of course, you just move the on-screen selector onto a the list of repeat broadcasts and select the one you want to record and the timer is set automatically. The list will include if the showing is in HD or SD and on WHICH channel because a few channels are offered in both HD and SD such as Disney Channel and the premium movie channels.

5. Lastly, if you tune to a show or series already in progress and there are no other options to view from the beginning (VOD or later repeat broadcasts), then I just select "Record Seires" from the INFO screen in case the show airs after the 7-8 EPG period, and often it records the same show/episode fairly soon, but there are a few times when that show/episode may not air for weeks or even months, but the DVR records it for me to watch from the beginning. Also, the VOD library may add that show/episode some days or weeks later from when you first viewed the live broadcast in progress, so keep checking/search VOD persistently.

I often use #4 because I don't always know in the first few minutes if I want to see a show in its entirety when I channel browse, but I always take a notice of the "Start from the beginning" on-screen message.

I hope that makes sense. There are a lot of things the Hopper or other Dish DVR's do that are not documented because features are added over time and known mostly to power users. Good luck.

This guidance is informative and helpful. It clarified some things for me that I was not fully understanding.

If another show starts you will no longer be able to record anything from the end of what you were watching. I suppose the reason for this is because of the Hopper 3 feature that lets you record the entire newly started program_from it's beginning just by pressing record from any place in the show if you were watching it from the start. The VIP receivers must not have had this feature. On the VIP receivers I could still rewind into the previous show and record from the point where I pressed record. I don't think I understood the Hopper's features before I read this. I will take the Hopper 3 over the VIP receiver's even though I actually manually recorded the end portion of a lot of shows after another show had started on my VIP receivers. Partial recordings were my middle name.

Thank you DishSubLA.

Yes, the only drawback when you do that is that it then records the entire buffer from that point all the way up to Live TV. So, if you rewind one hour back, and you only want to record the first half-hour, it will still record the entire hour immediately as soon as you hit the record button. It would be nice if you could use the stop button when it reaches the end of what you want to record, so it would only record exactly what you want. Alternatively, it would be nice to have a way to edit the DVR events after they are recorded, to remove any section that you don't want, and save hard drive space that way.
I was wondering that you seem to post a reply in almost every post. Are you trying to get some record or fame by replying to every message . Do you happen to work for Echostar to be considered a Dish expert?. How about turning your computer off and enjoy some television. Maybe it’s me but it’s rather annoying to see you in every post.

I was wondering that you seem to post a reply in almost every post. Are you trying to get some record or fame by replying to every message . Do you happen to work for Echostar to be considered a Dish expert?. How about turning your computer off and enjoy some television. Maybe it’s me but it’s rather annoying to see you in every post.

I recommend the "ignore" feature... Though I would never ignore crodrules. :D

Last edited:
Wow, I was not expecting to be so entertained when I came to this thread today. :oldlaugh

I hope I am not annoying you by quoting your message. :p I post the reply (quote) box in almost every post, just to make it clear which post I am responding to, even if it is the post directly above mine. This board can get quite busy, so quite often someone else may slip in another post before I am done typing my reply. I could hardly say that I reply to every message. Not by a long shot. However, once I take an interest in a thread, I will continue to reply to new messages in that thread as long as there are still new posts to respond to, or I will post any new observations I have on the topic until I get bored with the thread. I actually did do some work for Dish for more than a couple of years. (For clarity, Echostar has long since been spun off as a separate company.) It is people like you who make me want to turn my computer off for awhile. I do not come here to be called out by a brand new member with only one post, who just joined today. Really??? Your sole reason for becoming a member of this site was so that you could post how annoyed you get when you read my posts?! :imshocked :wtf2 Well, whatever floats your boat. :wave :oldsmile2

When it comes to recording Live TV already in progress old habits are hard to break. Instead of trying DishSubLA's technique of hitting record from where I was in the program to capture all of it, I rewound to the beginning and hit record. I think DishSubLA's method would have been easier. Hopefully I will be able to do it next time.

This is a really great trick. I did not know about this trick and I am learning it.

Today, I recorded the show that just ended on the channel that I was watching live and the trick did not work on the current program. In my mind I was watching the channel with the new program live since BEFORE the program started, but the recording of the previous show that just ended on this channel that I was watching live recorded the beginning of the current live show. This happened to me twice.

Maybe I could change the default recording perimeters so that the recording of the the previous program doesn't record the first of the current program to remedy this but I doubt it?

I loved the feature where the DVR in the VIP receivers could be rewound and record from the point that you activate recording in the previous program after the new program starts. The Hopper 3 cannot be rewound and record from any point that you activate recording in the previous program after a new program starts:(.

Recording live TV is an interesting phenomena:).

This is a really great trick. I did not know about this trick and I am learning it.

Today, I recorded the show that just ended on the channel that I was watching live and the trick did not work on the current program. In my mind I was watching the channel with the new program live since BEFORE the program started, but the recording of the previous show that just ended on this channel that I was watching live recorded the beginning of the current live show. This happened to me twice.

Maybe I could change the default recording perimeters so that the recording of the the previous program doesn't record the first of the current program to remedy this but I doubt it?

I loved the feature where the DVR in the VIP receivers could be rewound and record from the point that you activate recording in the previous program after the new program starts. The Hopper 3 cannot be rewound and record from any point that you activate recording in the previous program after a new program starts:(.

Recording live TV is an interesting phenomena:).
Unless I misunderstood your reply: If you wait until AFTER the new show starts, then the entire program of ONLY that recently started new show (having pressed REC at any point in the program) will be saved--NOT ANY PORTION of the just ended program. So, if you are tuned to a program that is ending, and then the NEW show starts, then if you want to save ALL of the new show, you must press RECORD any time BEFORE that new show ends, otherwise, if you wati unit AFTER the new show ends, you have MISSED your opportunity to use the "trick" of just pressing RECORD. In that case, you will have to REW all the way back to the start of the program and then press record to save the entire show--remembering that the buffer is only 60 minutes, so you may miss the first few seconds or so of the show for recording. I hope that clears things up, if I understood your reply.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts