Recording HD to D-VHS - VOOM says its possible!

jnardone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Hi:
I wrote to VOOM asking about the HD-DVR and got this as part of the response:

"In the mean time, there are several commercially available, VOOM-compatible alternatives to record your favorite programs. TiVo and other commercially available DVR's are compatible with VOOM and can be used to record your favorite standard definition programming. If you are interested in recording high definition programming, a D-VHS machine will allow you to do so. However, D-VHS does not provide the full functionality of a DVR."

How exactly would I record HD programming from the VOOM box to DVHS? Would I connect by DVI or component cables? What brand of DVHS is compatible with the VOOM box?

Thanks,
Joseph

jnardone said:
What brand of DVHS is compatible with the VOOM box?
I've never owned DVHS myself, but it's been out there for a few years. It's just a type of VCR, so I sure wouldn't think brand would make a difference...

Re: [VOOM] Recording HD to D-VHS - VOOM says its possible!

On Nov 7, 2004, at 9:02 PM, VOOM@yahoogroups.com wrote:

> How exactly would I record HD programming from the VOOM box to DVHS?
> Would I connect by DVI or component cables? What brand of DVHS is
> compatible with the VOOM box?

To really make that work, the Voom box needs a firewire port - which it
seems they will never have.

That's not just a Voom issue, as the whole industry seems to be
organizing around making sure home recording stays locked out of HD
(like recording to tape on the shelf rather than delayed viewing).
Pretty much the only thing a D-VHS recorder is good for is recording
your OTA HDTV signal (because they have to allow it). No other provider
will give any access to the high def signal. So you might as well save
the bucks for a D-VHS and just record to VHS out of the Standard DEF
output.

Of course its possible to record to D-VHS, because all those recorders
are backwards compatible. They'll play your old VHS tapes, and they'll
record a standard-def signal. Its probably slightly better fidelity
than recording on your old VHS deck, but the digital tapes are
expensive. It would be cheaper to buy your favorite show on DVD than
record it yourself on D-VHS tape. Though that will probably get better
if the format becomes more widely used.

SR

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/EyMolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VOOM/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
VOOM-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

http://db.widescreenreview.com/dvhs/news/FMPro?-db=webnewsearch.fp5&-format=record%5fdetail.html&-lay=layout%20%231&-sortfield=year&-sortorder=descend&-sortfield=month&-sortorder=descend&-sortfield=day&-sortorder=descend&-op=cn&Type=DVHS&-max=50&-recid=41607&-find=

JVC has some units. HDMI with HDCP. I guess youd need an HDMI to DVI cable. I think im going to look into it as well. Since the transfer rate is 28.2 Mbps under mpeg2 it can easily handle 19mbps. ANd a tape holds 50 gigs. The problem is that the Voom moto does not have firewire, so you will have to risk recording over the DVI connection and hope that copy protection doesnt stop you.

Dvhs

Looking at the JVC DVHS recorder/player, it says (I think) that Firewire is the only way to record HD.

jose44 said:
Looking at the JVC DVHS recorder/player, it says (I think) that Firewire is the only way to record HD.
That's right. I don't believe there is any consumer product on the market capable of recording HD signal from DVI or Component connection. And it's not just because of the Hollywood’s paranoia, but also due to technical reasons: you need an inexpensive real-time HD MPEG-2 encoder to record uncompressed HD signal.

So what is VOOM talking about in their scripted response? - they obviously check these scripts before they start using them.

They do have w-vhs. Its not as great of quality as d-vhs but still looks nice. Can't record the 5.1 track or output one either. They still cost a lot more then a d-vhs too if you can find one.

This I believe to be the only way to record VOOM exclusive programming in HD. Now if you want to record OTA HD, you could do it with an HTPC and a MyHD card or similar. That's what I do. Or get another STB that has firewire and use it for your OTA exclusively. But then you have to get the DVHS machine.

z71tahoe193 said:
They do have w-vhs. Its not as great of quality as d-vhs but still looks nice. Can't record the 5.1 track or output one either. They still cost a lot more then a d-vhs too if you can find one.