recording hdtv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

skierrob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
So... without paying $999 for a 921...

Is there a way to record HDTV from an 811 to my Windows system in true pvr fashion?

Or can I connect a digital VCR to record HDTV in all its great quality?

Thanks!

skierrob said:
So... without paying $999 for a 921...

Is there a way to record HDTV from an 811 to my Windows system in true pvr fashion?

Or can I connect a digital VCR to record HDTV in all its great quality?

Thanks!

a 1) To do this you would need a video capture card that can accept an HDTV feed from an HD component or DVI output. I am not aware of any such product that is currently available.

a 2) To do this you would need a Digital VCR that can accept an HDTV feed from an HD component or DVI output. I am not aware of any such product that is currently available.

Well, not any cheap cards for this anyway. I found some professional ones for like tv stations for a couple thousand.

honestly, If you wanna record HD I the 921 is the best way to go... unless you wanna wait for blue laser :D

Neutron said:
You sound just like Dale Gribble....

I do not sound just like Dale Gribble!! I am not a paranoid redneck from Texas!!! I was born and raised in Central Western Pennsylvania and do not speak with a Texan accent or in the Texan idiom!!!! :D

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you :smug :eek:

SimpleSimon said:
If there's a D-VHS unit with HD component inputs.

As for using the PC - the only HD vidcap cards I've ever seen only have ATSC inputs. :(
Actually if you surf the avs forum there is a wvhs that has component inputs... I believe it will record 1080i ,it is not sold anymore but you do see threads about them. For dvd quality(ie svideo in, but 480 progressive out) get a tivo standalone or the more versitile Replay... :) ps actually i do not think the standalone tivo has component outs, if it does I stand corrected.

If you are willing to settle for S-video quality, try a DVD+-R/RW recorder.
They are now cheaper that my post-Thanksgiving $229 Classic (+R/RW).
You do have to choose +R/+RW (Phillips...) or -R/-RW (Pioneer...). Many players will do both, check first.

You get near DVD quality (stereo only) for 2:03 hours, lower quality for longer times. Disk prices are below $0.50 for +-RW, half that for +-R.

I recorded a lot (~150) overnight before getting a 921. Early 811 recordings were dark, but that has passed.

DVD recorders are dirt cheap at WalMart. I was looking to buy one this fall when the X-Mas prices start being advertised. However, I have read that DVD-R/-RW is compatible with a wider range of DVD players in case you want to play your disk elsewhere or loan it to a friend. Don't know about that for sure, just read it somewhere.

The DVD-Recorder certainly seems like the practical replacement for the VHS VCR. Higher PQ and the prices are about what VCRs were just a few years ago. Will they record 16 X 9 content in 16 X 9 format on the disk for replay as widescreen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts