recording hdtv

skierrob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
So... without paying $999 for a 921...

Is there a way to record HDTV from an 811 to my Windows system in true pvr fashion?

Or can I connect a digital VCR to record HDTV in all its great quality?

Thanks!

skierrob said:
So... without paying $999 for a 921...

Is there a way to record HDTV from an 811 to my Windows system in true pvr fashion?

Or can I connect a digital VCR to record HDTV in all its great quality?

Thanks!

a 1) To do this you would need a video capture card that can accept an HDTV feed from an HD component or DVI output. I am not aware of any such product that is currently available.

a 2) To do this you would need a Digital VCR that can accept an HDTV feed from an HD component or DVI output. I am not aware of any such product that is currently available.

Well, not any cheap cards for this anyway. I found some professional ones for like tv stations for a couple thousand.

honestly, If you wanna record HD I the 921 is the best way to go... unless you wanna wait for blue laser :D

Neutron said:
You sound just like Dale Gribble....

I do not sound just like Dale Gribble!! I am not a paranoid redneck from Texas!!! I was born and raised in Central Western Pennsylvania and do not speak with a Texan accent or in the Texan idiom!!!! :D

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you :smug :eek:

SimpleSimon said:
If there's a D-VHS unit with HD component inputs.

As for using the PC - the only HD vidcap cards I've ever seen only have ATSC inputs. :(
Actually if you surf the avs forum there is a wvhs that has component inputs... I believe it will record 1080i ,it is not sold anymore but you do see threads about them. For dvd quality(ie svideo in, but 480 progressive out) get a tivo standalone or the more versitile Replay... :) ps actually i do not think the standalone tivo has component outs, if it does I stand corrected.

If you are willing to settle for S-video quality, try a DVD+-R/RW recorder.
They are now cheaper that my post-Thanksgiving $229 Classic (+R/RW).
You do have to choose +R/+RW (Phillips...) or -R/-RW (Pioneer...). Many players will do both, check first.

You get near DVD quality (stereo only) for 2:03 hours, lower quality for longer times. Disk prices are below $0.50 for +-RW, half that for +-R.

I recorded a lot (~150) overnight before getting a 921. Early 811 recordings were dark, but that has passed.

DVD recorders are dirt cheap at WalMart. I was looking to buy one this fall when the X-Mas prices start being advertised. However, I have read that DVD-R/-RW is compatible with a wider range of DVD players in case you want to play your disk elsewhere or loan it to a friend. Don't know about that for sure, just read it somewhere.

The DVD-Recorder certainly seems like the practical replacement for the VHS VCR. Higher PQ and the prices are about what VCRs were just a few years ago. Will they record 16 X 9 content in 16 X 9 format on the disk for replay as widescreen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts