Recording Local OTA and E* Local at the same time

cummingsje

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
DVR Newbie question: I thought I remember reading this somewhere but I can't find it now. My question: I'm not 100% confident that my local OTA HD will record without the signal fading in/out, so I also want to record the matching E* SD local as an extra measure. However, when I set up a "New" only timer for each the system won't record both and says it is a "duplicate". Other than manually overriding this each time there is a recording, is there a way to universally tell the receiver to record both? I am using the 622.

You might try record all instead of new.
It still won't record it. It knows the episode # of each and tags one as a duplicate.

cummingsje: Try to set a manual recording for one. Also, set the start time for 5-10 minutes early, i.e. start at 7:50pm vs 8:00pm. This way it will think it's recording the show that starts at 7:00pm or 7:30pm.

It still won't record it. It knows the episode # of each and tags one as a duplicate.

cummingsje: Try to set a manual recording for one. Also, set the start time for 5-10 minutes early, i.e. start at 7:50pm vs 8:00pm. This way it will think it's recording the show that starts at 7:00pm or 7:30pm.

Thanks! I'll try that.

If you view the skipped recordings, you can highlight it and set it to record.
Are you sure ?? I think I've tried that, i.e. "force" it, and it still balked, telling me it's a duplicate. You get a different screen that basically tells you it's already being recorded on channel "x" at time "y".

That's what I've been doing but it seems that some of the time the timer "reverts" back to being skipped (especially if I restore it a few days in advance). It does this without any kind of warning and then I end up with a show not recorded that I initially set up to record on two different channels.

I do remember a many weeks back, when the Program Guide had changes in it, I had problems and had to select "Once" which worked okay. However, another time, an episode was mislabeled and it would not record it to disk because it was already on the disk, but I was able to over-ride it as it was starting.

Besides setting the MANUAL timers as above, you might try this with the AUTO timers:

Select the program after the one you want to watch, go into OPTIONS and set START for 60 minutes before. :D :D or

Select the program before the one you want to record, go into OPTIONS and set END for 90 minutes after. Then you can use the "Skip Forward" button a few times. :D

A manual timer -- that starts early -- will definitely work. In the DVR list though, it will be labeled with the name of the show that's on during that time slot, which can throw you at first.

A normal timer, with the start time set early, will still possibly fail. I suspect the DVR still keys off the fact that you chose the (duplicate) program originally as what you want to record. The start early or end late options are just that, options.

Thanks for all the info! I'm going to play around with the timers tonight. Perhaps the manual timer route is the way to go.

I have had this same problem, for the same reason you have (most of the time my OTA is fine, but occasionally it is awful). The only way I have ever been able to get this to work is the manual timer route described above. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)