Dropped HD Package for lack of "Compelling" content

cincyguy2k4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Dropped Dish HD today.

Signed up for the DVR Advantage 250 + HBO.

With all the fees (HD Enabling etc) it should be a 4 dollar savings a month.

After waiting for a year for much of nothing and still no external storage I am tired of thowing money away to Dish for nothing.

I never watch the channels. Over 90 percent of my HD viewing on Dish is my Locals.

I guess if Dish ever gets Cincinnati area locals in HD I might have to subscribe again, at least I think to get the locals in HD you have to pay for the worthless package.

Dish should drop VOOM and give us what we sub for in HD for like a 5-10 fee. $20 bucks is not worth it.

I might get it back when NASCAR comes to TNT later in the year. Stil feel like I am getting ripped for paying 20 bucks for one HD channel I will watch.

Dish better get the storage option available before my 18 month commit is up on my 622 because apples to apples I can get a better deal with Time Warner if I get a package deal with cable phone and internet. I can also DVR 2 local channels in HD because they got the locals in HD on their network.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear you haven't found the programming worth your while.

Personally, I'm having a hard time keeping up w/ all the HD movies, docs and concerts that I want to record. Too often, things overlap and I can't nab them on first go w/ my R5000-HD mod 622 (my suggested solution for the 'endless wait for external storage').

I mean, the original Star Wars in HD on HBO (w/ new titles like Syriana and Silent Hill coming on later in the month), the likes of Blade Runner and Kurosawa classic films and cool concerts (Depeche Mode and Gorillaz, for instance) and great horror titles like Halloween on Voom, plus things like Dan Rather Reports and Full Metal Jacket on HDnet/movies, the upcoming Planet Earth 11-pt series on Discovery HD...it's hard to watch it all, imho. I have some network shows that I watch in HD, sure, but for movies and other content--the HD pack is full of interesting stuff in my book. And all of the above are just the things I want to record and archive--we watch a LOT more, especially my wife (she LOVES UltraHD, and I don't mind it either ;)) To each their own, I guess.

So, again, it's too bad it didn't seem worth it to you, but in my book, all I want is more...whether I can digest it all or not :D

Last edited:

Personally, I'm having a hard time keeping up w/ all the HD movies, docs and concerts that I want to record. Too often, things overlap and I can't nab them on first go w/ my R5000-HD mod 622 (my suggested solution for the 'endless wait for external storage').

I mean, the original Star Wars in HD on HBO (w/ new titles like Syriana and Silent Hill coming on later in the month), the likes of Blade Runner and Kurosawa classic films and cool concerts (Depeche Mode and Gorillaz, for instance) and great horror titles like Halloween on Voom, plus things like Dan Rather Reports and Full Metal Jacket on HDnet/movies, the upcoming Planet Earth 11-pt series on Discovery HD...it's hard to watch it all, imho. I have some network shows that I watch in HD, sure, but for movies and other content--the HD pack is full of interesting stuff in my book. And all of the above are just the things I want to record and archive--we watch a LOT more, especially my wife (she LOVES UltraHD, and I don't mind it either ;)) To each their own, I guess.

So, again, it's too bad it didn't seem worth it to you, but in my book, all I want is more...whether I can digest it all or not :D

Isn't a lot of the content on the HD channels just up-converted? A lot of the movies and concerts that are shown were not filmed in HD so I assume that they are up-converted....and some not very well. I agree that I am not sure that it is worth $20.00 per month since most of what I watch on HD is locals which is not available from Dish.

Bruce

Isn't a lot of the content on the HD channels just up-converted? A lot of the movies and concerts that are shown were not filmed in HD so I assume that they are up-converted....and some not very well.

Most of the movies and concerts were down-converted from film which has a much higher resolution than HD.

NightRyder

:up

I agree I like HD but not for $20 a month when I really only want 2 or 3 channels in the pack none of which are Voom ones. I had my HD receiver setup to just get our premiums in HD and my locals OTA but got tired of paying the HD enabling fee and for the premiums that I rarely watched so I just recently cut it all off including that HD receiver. I may hook it back up in the future if they start offering something compelling to watch in HD at a resonable price. I just feel $20 a month is too much and to me honestly SD doesn't look that bad. I'm watching it on a 106" projector setup so I can't imagine how HD looks soo bad on smaller sets either. For me for $20 a month it wasn't worth it for the difference in PQ.

I agree I like HD but not for $20 a month when I really only want 2 or 3 channels in the pack none of which are Voom ones. I had my HD receiver setup to just get our premiums in HD and my locals OTA but got tired of paying the HD enabling fee and for the premiums that I rarely watched so I just recently cut it all off including that HD receiver. I may hook it back up in the future if they start offering something compelling to watch in HD at a resonable price. I just feel $20 a month is too much and to me honestly SD doesn't look that bad. I'm watching it on a 106" projector setup so I can't imagine how HD looks soo bad on smaller sets either. For me for $20 a month it wasn't worth it for the difference in PQ.

:shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked

NightRyder

I, and a lot of other people, would be very unhappy to see them drop Voom.

$20? I couldn't take my wife to the movies ONCE for that amount. Fuel, tickets, and god forbid you buy any food there. For about 2 hours of entertainment? Assuming, of course, you can be entertained among the filth and audience noise.

No, I'll gladly pay $20 a month for more HD than I can watch today, every day of the month. If you can't appreciate the difference, well, save your money. Sell your HDTV.

confused0054.gif

If I dropped HD my wife would kill me!

DITTO!!!! There are quite a few channels I watch periodically like, RAVE, great concerts, Equator, love the travel shows, even Worldsports, just for the fantastic picture! I might not have the greatest eyesight but what I get with my 50" Philips plasma is just downright great. I wonder what it will really look like when they broadcast in true HD. It's good enough for me and the wife and $20 is dirt cheap.

I have the origional $10 HD pack and would love to drop it as well. $10 for 5 channels is ludicris! I hardly watch any of them except for ESPN HD. And, I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay an additional $10 to get more HD that I could care less about...the VOOM stuff! I'd gladly pay $20 a month for all major networks...ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX in their original native non compressed, non bit-rated starved formats though!!!

I, and a lot of other people, would be very unhappy to see them drop Voom.

$20? I couldn't take my wife to the movies ONCE for that amount. Fuel, tickets, and god forbid you buy any food there. For about 2 hours of entertainment? Assuming, of course, you can be entertained among the filth and audience noise.

No, I'll gladly pay $20 a month for more HD than I can watch today, every day of the month. If you can't appreciate the difference, well, save your money. Sell your HDTV.

Wow thats a little harsh. There is plenty for me to watch on my HDTV besides their package. Games, HDDVD, OTA locals, downloadable HD content etc.

When I first got the voom package I watched some concerts and other documentaries on it, even checked out hdnews several times but now I never turn those channels on.

I got 10-20 hours a week of HD content right now without the pack and to me thats enough. More than that I would feel I am on the couch too much.

The only thing I was using the HD pack for recently were CSI Miami reruns on A and E (I love they actually show the ones in HD that were filmed in HD instead of the TNT way), and some sports (HDNet Hockey etc).

For now I will pick up HBO for Entourage that is about to start back up again and be happy. That should speak volumes of how I feel also. I am paying 12 a month for four 30 min shows each month for 2-4 months. The occasional movie is a bonus.

Coming from a 10+ year subscriber I am just telling dish what I think of their current package the loudest way I can, which is my wallet. When RSN's, History HD, and maybe a few others start up I will reconsider.

Last edited:
Wow thats a little harsh. There is plenty for me to watch on my HDTV besides their package. Games, HDDVD, OTA locals, downloadable HD content etc.

When I first got the voom package I watched some concerts and other documentaries on it, even checked out hdnews several times but now I never turn those channels on.

I got 10-20 hours a week of HD content right now without the pack and to me thats enough. More than that I would feel I am on the couch too much.

The only thing I was using the HD pack for recently were CSI Miami reruns on A and E (I love they actually show the ones in HD that were filmed in HD instead of the TNT way), and some sports (HDNet Hockey etc).

For now I will pick up HBO for Entourage that is about to start back up again and be happy. That should speak volumes of how I feel also. I am paying 12 a month for four 30 min shows each month for 2-4 months. The occasional movie is a bonus.

Coming from a 10+ year subscriber I am just telling dish what I think of their current package the loudest way I can, which is my wallet. When RSN's, History HD, and maybe a few others start up I will reconsider.

It is like someone always say --different people have different taste in programming. What is worthless to you...it is gold to someone else...or viceversa...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts