Recording New Shows

Cynthia Blue

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Since I won't be getting my dumb 622 today to find out myself...

A friend of mine has DTV and he has, I believe, a tivo with it. He can set the box to record all new shows of a series. Does the 622 do the same thing? I hear so much that Dish is better than DTV, but my current Dish box (I think it's a 301 but I forget, it's a couple 3 years old now), can only record shows during a certain time frame. If something different is on, doesn't matter, still records the time frame.

I would love to be able to record all new instances of my favorite shows.

Cool. So that's why people say if I get OTA locals I can 'only' record by the time frame. Well that's no different than what I'm doing now. :p
Thanks.

Of course, it's only as good as the Program Guide information. If you're recording your local Off the Air (OTA) digital stations and you don't subscribe to your Local-into-Local stations via Dish, you have to set up manual timers for those OTA programs. I got bit because "30 Rock" moved to 9:30pm on Thursday night and I hadn't changed the manual timer.

Yeah... we managed to get the dish installed last night, and it is rather annoying. Plus, with the OTA my husband can only view them in single mode on his TV in his computer room, so has to watch what I watch. I'll look at the pricing for locals via Dish.

Yeah when you are setting a timer just set it to only record new episodes. Ive always had this work really well for me with satellite channels. Ive never tried it yet with OTA on my 622. Usually the EPG guide for my OTA is pretty accurate but ive never tried to see how well it works.

Cool thanks. I subbed to locals today as well.. didn't have much time last night to play around with it as the installer got there late. I'll be spending some hours playing tonight!

Now that I have Dish Locals, I seem to have guide data on the OTA locals. If I'm correct... and I'm not sure I am, the Dish Locals are in the 8000 channel range? And my OTA local are still the 002-1 etc? Interesting.

And I've set up my timers... ooo that is nice, getting only new episodes! However, today all my shows are repeats. Boooo.

There is a setting somewhere under the setup that you can re-map the HD Dish locals from the 8000 back to the normal spots. If you do this they will show up as 002-0, 004-0, etc and your OTA locals will be right next to them in the guide, 002-1, 004-1, etc.

Menu - System Setup - Local Channels: select the "Sat Locals" button and make sure the "HD Priority" is selected.

Your locals via Dish will appear like primetimeguy said, as 0nn-00 in the guide. Some people feel that they "clutter" the HDTV channels, so it is possible to block these by disabling this feature (as you have it now, it seems).

Dish SD locals are in the 8xxx range.
Dish HD locals are in the 6xxx range.
The 0xx-x may be either Dish or OTA depending on your settings, somewhere. I prefer OTA. I'm forced to use OTA HD for CBS (no contract) or CW or PBS or when I have 3 shows at the same time.

New is fine except for programs like The Avengers (1966) or Star Trek Enterprise on HDNet, which are old but new to us. You can use All and provided there is differentiated guide data you will only get the first recording as the recorded show will block re-recording for a week or so. I often go in and skip the first show if it would interfere with other recordings or fill the disk. It will then pick up a later showing.

You do have to monitor your timers to be sure you have not lost a show by priority. An easy way is DVR, DVR, timers so you can check time left as you go through the recordings screen.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts