Recording Series on Hopper 3

Ok an update on the 'seek' timers. When you do a search to create a timer (my example is NASCAR again), you will get some 'series' or event listed to the right you will need to select one of these (it will not select all) and it will create a timer for that 'series'. In the case of NASCAR, it listed several different NASCAR programs, but it did list "NASCAR Racing". So this was good, I create a timer for this which gets defined as a "seek" timer and not a "dvr" timer.. So although not truely the same as the "dish pass" and recording everything with the word NASCAR, it will record all of the racing I was interested in across all channels. Cool. However, there are other issues.
1) You cannot edit the 'seek' timers. With a DVR timer you get the edit option which allows you to change the early start or late stop parameters, number of shows to save, etc. The 'seek' timer does not have this option so now you cannot default this timer to end 90 minutes late like I did on my VIP 722, because many races go past their scheduled event time.. That really sucks.
2) Ok I then went in to the scheduled recordings for NASCAR and was able to edit the actual scheduled event. I thought Ok this will be a work around. You can go in and edit the scheduled recording and there you can change the start early and end late parameters. Once you change them it shows "saving" on the screen. All good, except when you go back in to look at the scheduled event, these parameters have been set back to 0. So I currently do not have any means of allowing these recording to go beyond their scheduled times. This really sucks.

On a side note, as noted above you can set a 'seek' timer up for your favorites sports team and a timer will be created for them. I noted that somehow the end late parameter associated with these events gets set to a plus 60 minutes. I did not set it, it defaulted.

So I hope dish corrects this major oversight with regards to the 'seek' timers. I think you should be able to record everything that has your search word in it, and you should be able to edit the parameters of the 'seek' timer. This was how I created many of my timers on the VIP 722.

I hate to upgrade to new hardware and lose features that you had before.

Ok an update on the 'seek' timers. When you do a search to create a timer (my example is NASCAR again), you will get some 'series' or event listed to the right you will need to select one of these (it will not select all) and it will create a timer for that 'series'. In the case of NASCAR, it listed several different NASCAR programs, but it did list "NASCAR Racing". So this was good, I create a timer for this which gets defined as a "seek" timer and not a "dvr" timer.. So although not truely the same as the "dish pass" and recording everything with the word NASCAR, it will record all of the racing I was interested in across all channels. Cool. However, there are other issues.
1) You cannot edit the 'seek' timers. With a DVR timer you get the edit option which allows you to change the early start or late stop parameters, number of shows to save, etc. The 'seek' timer does not have this option so now you cannot default this timer to end 90 minutes late like I did on my VIP 722, because many races go past their scheduled event time.. That really sucks.
2) Ok I then went in to the scheduled recordings for NASCAR and was able to edit the actual scheduled event. I thought Ok this will be a work around. You can go in and edit the scheduled recording and there you can change the start early and end late parameters. Once you change them it shows "saving" on the screen. All good, except when you go back in to look at the scheduled event, these parameters have been set back to 0. So I currently do not have any means of allowing these recording to go beyond their scheduled times. This really sucks.

On a side note, as noted above you can set a 'seek' timer up for your favorites sports team and a timer will be created for them. I noted that somehow the end late parameter associated with these events gets set to a plus 60 minutes. I did not set it, it defaulted.

So I hope dish corrects this major oversight with regards to the 'seek' timers. I think you should be able to record everything that has your search word in it, and you should be able to edit the parameters of the 'seek' timer. This was how I created many of my timers on the VIP 722.

Could not agree more. I enjoy Superman movies and animated shows. I liked being able to just do a seek for Superman and getting everything.

Reactions: pattykay
Could not agree more. I enjoy Superman movies and animated shows. I liked being able to just do a seek for Superman and getting everything.
If you search "superman" then select (4) Superman Movies, there is also (under "Record When Available") a lot of animated stuff (no idea how much there is - I'm not into that) .... maybe that helps(?)

I see that - cannot record because all options say watch on Netflix. Thanks for pointing this - will have it fixed in a future release
Another strange thing on this ("Bates Motel") is that we can find the record when available option for "Damien" which starts the same day as Bates (either right before or right after).

Last edited:

That's a partial help but only IF there are hits to your search. If there are no hits, you can't set a timer.

This mechanism is of no use for shows that are on "vacation".

right - that was my point - why does "Bates" show nothing but Netflix, yet "Damien" which starts up the same day (March 7) has the "record when available" option? Sorry if I wasn't clear.
IMO that is a server issue at Dish or wherever that info comes from. I don't think that the H3 is doing it. You feed crap in, you get crap out.

Actually a few days after I got the new Hopper, I DID have a "Record When Available" seek timer set for Bates Motel. Until I heard that it doesn't work with Bates Motel and I said that I did actually got it. So I deleted that timer and have been unable to get it back since. Bummer...

Actually a few days after I got the new Hopper, I DID have a "Record When Available" seek timer set for Bates Motel. Until I heard that it doesn't work with Bates Motel and I said that I did actually got it. So I deleted that timer and have been unable to get it back since. Bummer...
REAL bummer!

It is truly "hit or miss" I searched three times for "Dark Woods Justice" - system responded with "no results" and no further options. Waited 15 minutes repeated the search and it responded with the "Record when available" option. Strange indeed...

EVERYONE needs to use the Dish Network "Contact Us" Email, complaining about their removal of the Old "Seek" Function.
.. Before.. it was TOO EASY to create a "Seek" of ANY WORD or WORDS.. for "Every Channel" or even selecting a Single Channel.
Example "Skating" being 1 word snags a recording of any title with Skating in it.
The "record future airings" only works for a SET TITLE that shows up in 2 weeks & it is NOT the old "Seek" function.
--- I want the OLD Seek that Hopper 1 & the Old Old DVR had.

Reactions: joegr and buist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts