Status
Please reply by conversation.

minorthr

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 8, 2004
earth
Ok my HR10-250 died and D* replaced it with an HR20. I'm trying to give this thing a chance, but its really frustrating me. Why is it if I want to record a show thats on multiple channels say spongebob for instance. Its on nick nick 2 nicktoons. When i setup a Season pass for it it only records on the channel I originally selected it on 299 nick, unlike the tivo which would pick it up on all channels. Am I doing something wrong or is this just how this thing is going to be?

You have to setup different prioritizer season passes per channel. Sorry.

Thats what i figured and not only does that blow its completely ridiculous I hope a future CE takes care of that.

I thought that back when this unit (HR-20) came out, it was mentioned that it recorded by the show name ????
Was this incorrect ?

I could have sworn that it said if a show changed channel or time it would find it automatically, (I'm sure that it would have to be a series recording) was this not true ?

Jimbo

I thought that back when this unit (HR-20) came out, it was mentioned that it recorded by the show name ????
Was this incorrect ?

I could have sworn that it said if a show changed channel or time it would find it automatically, (I'm sure that it would have to be a series recording) was this not true ?

Jimbo

I dunno really. I do my kids stuff on the Windows Media Center which is across channels and has an awesome list of options for times, channels, how many to record a day, etc. HR20 has limited options. From what I have recorded, I have stipulated the channel in the initial search and scheduler settings. I actually prefer this as I want something from only a specific channel like my OTA HD and no other options. I dont think its going an grabbing anyone it finds but I could be wrong.

Was this incorrect ?

Jimbo

Actually, it's supposed to work that way on any of the DVR's ... at least according to the video on ch201.

I actually prefer this as I want something from only a specific channel like my OTA HD and no other options.

I agree,
I too want it to ONLY record from the channel I tell it to ....
Why would I want it to record SD for me when I can tell it to record the HD channel, if it records other channels for the same program,it would also be waisting hard drive space that at some point may become important causing me to miss programming I really wanted.

Jimbo

The Windows Media Center is by no means the best DVR but there are things I actually like about it over Tivo, Dish Network and Directv. Look at some of the season pass options. Its great for the multi channel multiple showing kid recording things minorthr was asking about. Its actually one of the reasons why I put the kid recordings here over Tivo and Directv boxes.

Attachments

• MCE.jpg
    MCE.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 158
The Windows Media Center is by no means the best DVR but there are things I actually like about it over Tivo, Dish Network and Directv. Look at some of the season pass options. Its great for the multi channel multiple showing kid recording things minorthr was asking about. Its actually one of the reasons why I put the kid recordings here over Tivo and Directv boxes.

How accurate can this be when it's set to start "Around 3:30 " ???

Jimbo

Most likely the original poster mispoke. Sounds like on his Tivo he was using an autorecord Wishlist, not a season pass since a season pass is only on 1 channel just like a series link is only on 1 channel on the HR20.

HR20 has a similar feature to the Wishlist. Do a search for Title or Keyword "Spongebob" and you can choose to autorecord it. Same thing as the wishlist.
The problem though is that it will do the autorecord across all channels, including ones you don't get. Not really a problem for something like Spongebob but can be a big problem with sports.

How accurate can this be when it's set to start "Around 3:30 " ???

Jimbo

Very. The 3:30 is a time it found a program. It will give you clues as to find programs. If they move it to 4:00 it will still record. If they move it to 9 AM, it may have a problem. But then you can compensate with record all in a day or go after 2 or 3. Its really flexible and definately designed at shows like SpongeBob and other kid shows that are on multiple times and channels.

Most likely the original poster mispoke. Sounds like on his Tivo he was using an autorecord Wishlist, not a season pass since a season pass is only on 1 channel just like a series link is only on 1 channel on the HR20.

HR20 has a similar feature to the Wishlist. Do a search for Title or Keyword "Spongebob" and you can choose to autorecord it. Same thing as the wishlist.
The problem though is that it will do the autorecord across all channels, including ones you don't get. Not really a problem for something like Spongebob but can be a big problem with sports.

I'm not using wishlists I have one season pass for the each of the following Blues clues, spongebob and Little Einsteins. The Tivo records them all on multiple channels.

I'm not using wishlists I have one season pass for the each of the following Blues clues, spongebob and Little Einsteins. The Tivo records them all on multiple channels.

I don't want to argue but a season pass is channel specific on a Tivo (as it is on an HR20).
An Autorecord Wishlist (which appears in the season pass manager) goes across channels.

I don't want to argue but a season pass is channel specific on a Tivo (as it is on an HR20).
An Autorecord Wishlist (which appears in the season pass manager) goes across channels.

first off , never argue with someone who has a season pass/wishlist or a desire to record every episode of spongebob, little einsteins orblues clues. i think this may be the new unabomber LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)