Recording to A DVD

jeff5656

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
I have a few questions about the getting a DVD recorder to use with the 722. I want to put things I recorded onto a DVD so I can free up space.
1st, what happens if the program is longer than what the DVD can hold? i.e. can a 3 hour football game fit? I heard DVD's for consumer burning holds less.
2cnd: if I recorded something in High def, will the transfer to DVD be downgraded to SD? How does this happen, does the recorder "know" to put it into SD?
3rd: how do I specifically get this to work? I have a 722. it is connected via HDMI, but there is also a component cable that goes to the back of the TV (I know, redundant and not used). How *exactly* does the DVD recorder connect to the DVR? And after I connect it, how does it work - in other words, to record the program I recorded on the DVR last week, do I have to go to the correct source on my TV (i.e. component vs hdmi) before hitting record on the DVD recorder?

In other words, the DVR has 2 tuners, TV1 and TV2 AND the previously-recorded things. So how will the DVD recorder know what to record? Does it record what is being displayed on my TV? What output in the back of the DVR goes to the DVD recorder? Will I need to unplug something that goes to my TV?

Last edited:
The programs are not transfered, Dish's recordings are encrypted so that cannot be done. You have to record in real time much like you would do if you were recording to a vcr. You can set the length of the recording to according to the length of the dvr. The dvd recording would be in sd (although the playback looks very good, especially if you use the s-video as the connection). Unless you have a very high end dvd recorder, best input would probably be the s-video. You would be viewing the 722 feed through the dvd connections, so when the program starts you would hit the record on the dvd remote and the stop button to end it.

The manual for the dvd recorder should have wiring diagrams in it.

Regular DVD is not HD, so your typical DVD recorder is only going to record in SD, regardless of source. If you are connected through svid or rca, you are going to get a downrezzed recording because that's all that's available through that port. You would need an HD-DVD burner or Blu-Ray burner (do they exist yet?) and connect to it through component or HDMI. Realistically, HDMI is intended as a countermeasure to recording, so you probably won't be able to do that. You're best bet might be to output to a computer using a component input card on your computer and the right software. That way you can keep an HD copy on your computer until the right technology comes along to move to a more portable format, plus you can output to a computer monitor that has high resolutions.

Thanks for the replies. I want to record football games to save, not movies (can always just rent them on netflix) 0 does anyone know if football has a broadcast flag to prevent me from recording on the DVD?

Also, what DVD recorder do you all recommend (i.e. one that works with the 722 obviously). I saw the back of my regular VCR and there is an s OUTPUT, but I assume a dvd recorder would havean S INPUT and the DVR has the output right?

Do I need to get a double layer recorder or are there reasons NOT to get this (other than price).

I got a panny DMR-EZ47V
say game is 4 hrs and 23 min long.
I set the DVD recorder time to 4hr 23 min.
It records the game at the best possible quality (called Flex recording)
real time, takes 4 hrs and 23 minutes.

then u can even make a backup copy on a pc dvd burner, takes maybe 8 or nine minutes.

fred

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)