Recording unreliable

cmaier

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Bought the thing so i could record stern's east coast feed and download it to my ipod so i could listen to it on my commutes. So this was the first real test.

About 2 hours in it bsod'd my computer. I put timetrax in my startup folder so it resumed from there (we'll see if it makes it to the end) but i can't find a temp file anywhere so i assume the first 2 hours are lost.

I'll try again with the west coast and replay feeds and hopefully get a complete feed at some point today, but this shakes my confidence. This was with the timetrax hooked to a machine that otherwise has been completely stable, and which ran timetrax (without recording) for 24 hours straight without a crash.

I guess for tomorrow i'll have to try hooking it to another machine, but if that doesn't work i guess i'm going to have to try an alternative approach to this whole thing.

cmaier said:
About 2 hours in it bsod'd my computer. I put timetrax in my startup folder so it resumed from there (we'll see if it makes it to the end) but i can't find a temp file anywhere so i assume the first 2 hours are lost.thing.

Why don't you have it set up so that the tracks are split when the display changes for title and artist - this way you might lose less?

My O&A set up is to record BOTH the East and West coast times in order to make sure I get a good quality feed. I also have it set so that the tracks are split up on song/artist (display change) so that I get more broken up files as I am in car with iPod and I hate trying to drive and fast forward :(

i will try that - i just assumed that maybe when you buy software it won't crash all the time :) I also wasn't sure how often the stern show would change its display - in fact, it looks to me like it just displays the phone number the whole time and doesn't change at all?

I am thinking of just getting a regular radio and using total recorder or equivalent since i don't need a setup to change the station since all i want to record is stern, anyway.

cmaier said:
i will try that - i just assumed that maybe when you buy software it won't crash all the time :) I also wasn't sure how often the stern show would change its display - in fact, it looks to me like it just displays the phone number the whole time and doesn't change at all?
I am thinking of just getting a regular radio and using total recorder or equivalent since i don't need a setup to change the station since all i want to record is stern, anyway.

Considering you are having issues with crashing... I think a whole different set up is your best bet.

Yeesh - I hope we see some answers.

Well, i have two high end desktops and three laptops sitting around. I'll move the setup from machine to machine and hope i find one that works (so far no luck on the desktops).

I suspect a possible interaction with flashcard readers (which use serial<=>usb drivers) with timetrax, so i'll play with disabling those, too.

cmaier said:
Well, i have two high end desktops and three laptops sitting around. I'll move the setup from machine to machine and hope i find one that works (so far no luck on the desktops).
I suspect a possible interaction with flashcard readers (which use serial<=>usb drivers) with timetrax, so i'll play with disabling those, too.

FLash card readers do not use the USB to Serial function. They are just USB devices and should never actually 'touch' or use the USB-Serial Driver.

Its worth a shot - but I think there is something else going on.

when i installed the card readers i go the "new hardware detected ... serial <-> usb device" popup, so i assume it's using such a driver for something. Perhaps only when a card is inserted.

cmaier said:
when i installed the card readers i go the "new hardware detected ... serial <-> usb device" popup, so i assume it's using such a driver for something. Perhaps only when a card is inserted.

Which Flash media card is this?

It shoud just load mass storage device drivers....nothing with serial - usb device drivers.

It was a mitsumi combo drive (floppy and multi-card reader). Don't remember the model number at the moment. I used a similar model from another mfg on my other machine and had the same experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)