recording with the new dvr

snaggerbob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 16, 2004
Taylorville,Illinois
will we be able to record the local channels that come ota with the new dvr? i can not do this now with my tivo. it only does the satellite channels.

Yes, it will be able to do OTA or satellite channels. Tivo can normally record local OTA channels, too. You just have to set it up accordingly during the guided setup.

Sean Dudley

Hi there,

You *can* use TiVo to record OTA digital programs from the Voom box, but the "satellite locals" won't have any Program Guide information in the TiVo guide (the channels will just show up as "To be announced" in the guide). This means that to record programs from digital locals you can't use name-based recording and instead have to set them up manually.

I also connected my Tivo to an OTA antenna for analog locals.

To get your Tivo to "see" the local channels via the Voom STB you'll have to follow barth2k's instructions in this post here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=236002&postcount=3

Once the channels are added you'll have two local channels showing up in the guide for each station: for example my TiVo guide shows "4 WYFF" (our local NBC affiliate), and then "4 SAT" (the same program but through the Voom Box).

I then have program season-passes set on the Tivo so I know when new episodes will be coming on, and once a week go through and manually change the recordings from the analog local channel to the "SAT" equivalent.

Yes this is complicated, but then I can record Lost and Westwing in wide-screen without dealing with the Voom program planner.

Hope this helps!
CDH.

You're welcome. It makes a big difference to me. I don't mind configuring recordings of local programming manually and it makes a much higher quality recording than I could get via OTA analog.

Best wishes,
CDH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts