Records but no sound on playback

rogerramjet

Original poster
I have not been able to get TimeTrax setup.
--using an XM PCR, create signal on both sat's and also full ground signal
--have good recording signal on the VU meter
On the TimeTrax Recast Record Mixer, Line In is selected with the volume in the middle...the meter to the far left "Recording Control is grayed out with the meter and the bottom and the Balance to all the way to the right. I have uninstalled several times, downloaded the program twice...can't figure it out. When I play back the songs anything in the library from before plays but the recast downloads will not.
Please advise.
Thanks

howdy

i have the same problem. instead of starting another thread i thought i'd tag along. hope you don't mind.

i have sirius. i can record. i have the file but when i play it, no sound.

i've read what i could find but couldn't figure it out. the only think that i'm a bit confused about is that the manual seems to refer to making sure that your sound card is changed in 2 different locations. i can only find the one in the configuration area. i could be mistaken.

In "levels" i have the mic clicked. that was the preset. does this need to change?

any idea what i need to fix?

thank you.

I am going to work with everyone here to figure out what questions we need answered to determine if there is a common denominator between your problems. Stay tuned.

Do either of you have open support tickets that I could refer to? If so, please PM or e-mail me (dkieffer@timetraxtech.com) me with the ticket numbers or your e-mail address so I can pull them and look at them.

Problems of this sort usually have to do with PC sound system configuration issues, but besides you two, another user mentioned a very similar sounding issue yesterday.

Thanks for your patience while we try to help out.

David K.
Time Trax

go into your recording software and setup the "record what you hear" box...I had the same problem and after testing and looking this is what I can up with.
Hope this helps

The 'record what you hear' is the correct setting if you are using XM ONLINE, but not if you are recording from the hardware receiever. It will work - but it is not going to get you the best audio and it will include any other system noises that occur while recording.

Although, if you are still having trouble recording, try to use 'what you hear' or a similar setting. If that works then it helps give us some direction to troubleshoot.

David K.

Similar problem for me with v1.4 and PCR. I've isolated it to the PCR not outputting any audio at all with TT 1.4, but still working fine with XM's software. Current problem ticket number forwarded to David, but his autoreply says he's out of the office/country until 11/14/05 (perhaps a typo meaning 12/14?). To the others in this thread, you say you're recordings are blank, but can you verify output from the PCR?

Today I moved my XM_PCR to another machine in my home. I decided to locate it on my Media Center machine running XP MCE 2005. Im having a similar problem as this thread. Software 1.4 installs OK, Radio tunes and plays OK, but on record I get an mp3 file with no sound.
I reverted back to the Classic version 3.4 with the same results.
Any progress on this issue?

10EC said:
Today I moved my XM_PCR to another machine in my home. I decided to locate it on my Media Center machine running XP MCE 2005. Im having a similar problem as this thread. Software 1.4 installs OK, Radio tunes and plays OK, but on record I get an mp3 file with no sound.
I reverted back to the Classic version 3.4 with the same results.
Any progress on this issue?

If you reverted back to an older peice of software (TTClassic 3.4) and still experience the same problem, its my opinion that this is just a SoundCard config issue with TT not being able to record what you hear.

Just my thoughts... obviously open support tickets with the TT group.

I reverted back to 1.2 as well as "classic" and still have no audio. It can't be a soundcard issue as there is no audio being output from the PCR itself. For those having similar problems, would you be so kind as to verify if you're receiving audio from the PCR or not? In my case, the XM software will "activate" the PCR and audio is output, but TimeTrax will not.

mixman said:
I reverted back to 1.2 as well as "classic" and still have no audio. It can't be a soundcard issue as there is no audio being output from the PCR itself. For those having similar problems, would you be so kind as to verify if you're receiving audio from the PCR or not? In my case, the XM software will "activate" the PCR and audio is output, but TimeTrax will not.

The topic of this thread is records but no sound on playback. I was under the impression the PCR is delivering sound during regular playing, but when you listen to a recording there is no sound.

If the above is true, its more a configuration issue between TT product to record the correct line in and the sound card to list the correct line-in to the TT product.

If the above is false, I am having trouble beleiveing how this is a TT problem unless the PCR plays sound ONLY when connected to another PCR application or the original XM application. Then there is a problem with the way TT is initializing.

Regardless... I hope you all have support tickets open - cuz this thread is getting messy :)

PhuckNut said:
The topic of this thread is records but no sound on playback. I was under the impression the PCR is delivering sound during regular playing, but when you listen to a recording there is no sound.
If the above is true, its more a configuration issue between TT product to record the correct line in and the sound card to list the correct line-in to the TT product.
If the above is false, I am having trouble beleiveing how this is a TT problem unless the PCR plays sound ONLY when connected to another PCR application or the original XM application. Then there is a problem with the way TT is initializing.
Regardless... I hope you all have support tickets open - cuz this thread is getting messy :)

Hey PN - I have a ticket in with TT and have been waiting for a solution. I seem to have stumped them with the fact that my PCR does have audio out with applications other than TT. Thus, I agree with you that it is quite possibly an initialization issue.

I posted to this thread because I believe there is a chance the others with "records, but no sound" may not actually be recording anything. With my current issue, TT will appear to record. VU meters even show some sort of level. However, as the others in the thread have stated, these files are blank. Unless I'm wrong (and I certainly could be), I think they too may not have any audio coming from the PCR. I was hoping one of them could check. If I'm wrong, then you're correct...my problem is different.

(If I'm right, then it's a neat thread :)

Ok, Great info... then at least I do not feel lost... I was sooo confused.

I hope the TT people have some answers. Have they asked you to attempt a 'debug' session to try and figure this out? Or has it just been 'check audio drivers' check config type of stuff.... I bet a debug would help them.. they just need to explain how to do it - that is if its available on the 'release' software as I think it was available on the 'betas'.

Actually, they had me do a debug first. But they said it showed everything initialized fine. Then we started moving on to sound drivers, etc. However, once I clarified no output from the PCR...well...that's been a few days without any response. I asked them a few hours ago if they were familiar with this thread and if they are giving up on supporting the PCR at this point. I'm hoping their final solution isn't "buy our hardware!"

Well... If the TT support group knows your issues then I am sure they are working on it.

If I may suggest something, I would recommend unplugging the XM PCR for a long time, maybe a few hours. Some way to get it to kinda reset. In my simple opinion - I wonder if its got something to do with the switching back and forth between programs. I think thats a far fetched plan, but, just trying to isolate the variables. Going between programs and differences between the way each program might try to communicate with the PCR.

Worst case scenario, the other programs left the XMPCR in a 'stuck state' then this power down and disconnect might help it reset.

If the TT folks did not delete the guys post from the supposed company that made the PCR - we possibly could have asked him what he thought.

- Good luck Bro - :)

PhuckNut said:
I would recommend unplugging the XM PCR for a long time, maybe a few hours.

That's a good idea. I'll give it a shot later today. I have unplugged it for about 5-10 seconds, but longer might not hurt to try. I might even go so far as unplug, restart, then plug back in (after an hour) and see if reloading the USB drivers might help.

Hi,

We haven't forgotten about you.

I forwarded your ticket to our development group to see if they could shed some light on it.

The sound driver suggestion came from them as that sometimes fixed the interface between the PCR and TimeTrax.

We will continue to support the PCR as best as we can .... so don't worry about that.

We are not going to force you to buy our hardware unless that is a last resort.

I will check the support tickets later today to see what the status of your ticket is.

Sorry for the delay.

Derek

Fixed the problem

I had the same issue. I updated my sound card driver no help. Then I went to the options in the mixer and set the volume controls for recording, instead of playback. Then select the line in and deselect the mic. Bingo, all the mp3's now have sound. Of course, the MP3's are not anywhere near the same quality as those ripped from a cd, since we are taking an analog signal and redigitizing it and converting it to MP3. Perhaps that will keep the lawyers away from this excellant product. I think a higher quality sound card will improve the sound.

howdy.

i've been avoiding dealing with this but as i need something up and running by Jan 9th, i thought i'd see if anything has been resolved here.

i haven't done a ticket yet but wanted to try adjusting the mixer per the earlier suggestion. unfortuantely, even after reading the online manual, i can't figure out how to find the mixer.

any simple directions would be appreciated.

thanks

I had the same problem, check in TT options- configuration-make sure the correct recording device is listed, mine was listed as the onboard sound, I changed it to my soundcard and now it works

hey guys.

can someone walk me to the area where i can change the "mixer" per an earlier suggestion. i can't locate it. i know i was there when i set this software up initially but can't find my way back.

i'm old and know how to spell computer. be nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)