Recourse for dead 508 that I own?

kstile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
After nearly 7 years, a 508 that I own finally gave up the ghost. I'm not too concerned as there wasn't anything critical on the HD and I happen to have another 508 waiting in the wings that I also own that was replaced by a 942 and then 622 long ago.

My guess is that it's the power supply - the Power light just doesn't stay on (though the fan does and, I think the hard drive), and there's no video signal coming out of coax or RCA (didn't try S-video).

I'm thinking this is headed for the trash unless there's some program at Dish I'm not aware of. I don't have Dish Home Protection or anything similar. Any thoughts?

If the power supply is dead, the light won't come on at all, nor will the fan or hard drive. The power supply could be dieing, of course.

If you want it fixed or replaced, sign up for DHP, get it swapped, then cancel. Hell, if you call tech support some of them will even suggest doing this !

Sounds like you got your money's worth out of it. Not much future value to it- maybe 2 or 3 years before so much goes MPEG-4 as to make it worthless.

You're definitely right about getting my money's worth. I think that the power supply is dying, yes, and maybe not completely dead. I hadn't thought of signing up now for DHP so I may do that. The 508 is nice for the TV in the bedroom (don't have HD in there yet) b/c it doesn't have the DVR fee and doesn't need to be plugged into a phone line.

Are there plans to move SD to MPEG-4? I hadn't heard about that. I know all new HD channels coming online are MPEG4, but I didn't realize that would work on switching out the SD channels as well. I guess bandwidth is bandwidth so there's no reason for them *not* to do it.

You're definitely right about getting my money's worth. I think that the power supply is dying, yes, and maybe not completely dead. I hadn't thought of signing up now for DHP so I may do that. The 508 is nice for the TV in the bedroom (don't have HD in there yet) b/c it doesn't have the DVR fee and doesn't need to be plugged into a phone line.

Are there plans to move SD to MPEG-4? I hadn't heard about that. I know all new HD channels coming online are MPEG4, but I didn't realize that would work on switching out the SD channels as well. I guess bandwidth is bandwidth so there's no reason for them *not* to do it.
Digital Home Protection Plan is what you want to signup for $5.99/Mo. is cheap enough to get the 508 replaced. Mpeg4 will become the only broadcast standard eventually but it will be several years probably before either DISH or Directv is willing to replace all receivers to make the transitition possible.:)

Vague ones.

After all HD moves to MPEG-4, they'll probably start shifting premiums over, to encourage people to upgrade on their own. Then they might start with top tier unique programming, and work down. There will be good reason to upgrade long before the last SD (actually, MPEG-2) channel converts over to MPEG-4. Maybe Family Pack channels will be the last holdouts, there for many years.

Actually, as HD becomes more popular, that will probably do the trick. Just having all HD in MPEG-4 pretty well ensures a majority of folk, IMHO, will upgrade over the next 3 or 4 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts