REd Cross Satellite Trucks

Status
Please reply by conversation.
iafirebuff

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
With all the tornados/flooding - FEMA and the Red Cross have set up shop in the parking lot of the Police Department I work at. Anyway, the Red Cross has 2 satellite trcuks - Chevy Suburban type vehicles - pretty cool looking. I will try to take some pics if they are still there Wed (the next day I work). Just curious - anyone know what type of transmissions they do? The microwave antenna on it has a camera mounted just like the mobile TV station vans have.

chapelrun

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
Most FEMA trucks are KU band only

I work for FEMA and although I don't work with satellite comm. The Mobile Disaster Recovery Centers (MDRC) use KU band to get T-1 data connections.

I don't know of any FEMA trucks that use C band.

D

Davage

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 26, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I have some pictures of those Satellite trucks on my other computer. I could post a couple if people are interested. The Red Cross had one of those trucks at the Dayton Hamvention when I went there in 2007.

truckracer

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
I have heard they use Ku satellite links to get phone and data service going since in a disaster area most of the landlines are not functional.

They also have these mini - cell tower trucks that can create cellphone service for people using cellphone antennas and ku band data connections.

I think AT&T is big on this too.

L

lumpkin666

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 21, 2007
USA
I have a picture of one that is just down the street from me. I posted it in linuxman's thread. I'm not sure what they are doing since they are setup during the day just down the street, and our community has more bandwidth/etc than most large cities due to our fiberoptic telecommunications company. I assume they are doing some broadcasting or something, but not sure.

FEMA also canvased the town and put up fliers everywhere advising people where to seek assistance.

iafirebuff

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
I have not seen the trucks in the last 2 days. They looked just like what a tv station has - complete with tv camera and a micorwave set up in addition to the ku dish.

M

Machman

SatelliteGuys Family
May 26, 2008
Los Angeles
Here's one of those mobile cell sites that I saw in Kansas. Unfortunately they never deployed the Ku dish, probably since local phone service was still available (they were just doing a training exercise).

Attachments

• truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 146
  • truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 138
Status
Please reply by conversation.