Red Push on Component Output on VOOM Receiver?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I have connected both component and DVI to my Sony GWII. I have noticed that although the quality seem to be almost the same, there is a red-push on component. I have been trying to capture almost similar pictures of both and have not been succesful at getting them. Here are two pictures that I took.

Note: When I use my 6000 receiver on the same output there is no red-push. Also, do not concentrate on the picture quality because my intention here was to capture the red-push comparison between the two video output.

Attachments

• dvioutput.JPG
    dvioutput.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 285
  • Redpush.JPG
    Redpush.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 291
Have both inputs been tweaked with user-level controls using a calibration disc like AVIA or DVE prior to this test?

I also have voom hooked up to a 60" GWII using a dvi cable. Just an awesome picture on the dvi input. I adjusted my DVD component input with "UMR does GWII". Have you looked at this thread? I haven't decided yet if i am going to touch my #7 input. I think i really like it the way it is.

bigrocco said:
I also have voom hooked up to a 60" GWII using a dvi cable. Just an awesome picture on the dvi input. I adjusted my DVD component input with "UMR does GWII". Have you looked at this thread? I haven't decided yet if i am going to touch my #7 input. I think i really like it the way it is.

I was one of the first who helped UMR and gave feedback to him as well regarding the tweaking of the various inputs in the GWII. I also created with UMR's input the pdf file as well. In my GWII, I tweaked Video 3 which I use for composite input from my 721. Video 5 and Video 6 I have also tweaked using AVIA and using UMR's procedure. I did not do his last tweak which it was using the filter. The Video 7 does not need any tweaking at all. I tweaked video 7 before to get rid of overscan when I had my HTPC connected to it. But for HD, it could not be better.

The red-push I am seeing is not due to the TV component input. I have connected my 6000 receiver to the same component input and the 6000 receiver does not show any red-push. It is only with the VOOM receiver using component output that I have seen this red-push. On the other hand, DVI is fantastic as it is.

Sorry....It's been a while since I looked at that UMR thread and I didn't recognize your name. You had great input in there and you really know your stuff. I have this GWII about a year now and I really love the way it shows HD.

bigrocco said:
Sorry....It's been a while since I looked at that UMR thread and I didn't recognize your name. You had great input in there and you really know your stuff. I have this GWII about a year now and I really love the way it shows HD.

I agree that's an excellent TV! I will also do the test on my Samsung DLP to make sure I am getting the same thing.

This evening I compared the Showtime HD picture from Dish Network with Voom. The Voom picture had a severe red emphasis. The Dish Network picture from my Dish 5000 receiver had a normal color balance. Both signals were fed from their component outputs through a Yamaha receiver to the same input on my Sony VPL 10HT front projector.

I have noted this red shift on all of the Voom movie channels. On this evenings movie the white end credits had a red "drop shadow".

dubinvero said:
This evening I compared the Showtime HD picture from Dish Network with Voom. The Voom picture had a severe red emphasis. The Dish Network picture from my Dish 5000 receiver had a normal color balance. Both signals were fed from their component outputs through a Yamaha receiver to the same input on my Sony VPL 10HT front projector.

I have noted this red shift on all of the Voom movie channels. On this evenings movie the white end credits had a red "drop shadow".

Thanks for the comparison. I am glad to know that I am not the only one seeing this red-push on the VOOM receiver. I still have some more tests to do. Did you use the component cable provided by VOOM or do you use another component cable? This is another test I want to do to make sure the component cable is fine.

I used the Voom component cable. This evening I reversed the component cables while watching Showtime HD. There was no change in the picture from Voom. It still had a severe red push.

With my Sony projector I could not correct for the red push by adjusting color or hue. The Sony comes with 6 different color settings. One of them did improve the picture, but it still had a red push and did not look as natural as the picture from Dish Network.

I used the Voom component cable. This evening I reversed the component cables while watching Showtime HD. There was no change in the picture from Voom. It still had a severe red push.

With my Sony projector I could not correct for the red push by adjusting color or hue. The Sony comes with 6 different color settings. One of them did improve the picture, but it still had a red push and did not look as natural as the picture from Dish Network.

Sean Mota said:
I was one of the first who helped UMR and gave feedback to him as well regarding the tweaking of the various inputs in the GWII. I also created with UMR's input the pdf file as well. In my GWII, I tweaked Video 3 which I use for composite input from my 721. Video 5 and Video 6 I have also tweaked using AVIA and using UMR's procedure. I did not do his last tweak which it was using the filter. The Video 7 does not need any tweaking at all. I tweaked video 7 before to get rid of overscan when I had my HTPC connected to it. But for HD, it could not be better.
Sean,

Any chance on getting the tweak file? I had it one time and it looks like it is no longer on AVSForum. I would like to revisit the tweaks now that I am more familar with my set.

Did you try the archive search on avs? because now that's the way it is. I would search user name UMR. I do not have a copy of the latest pdf. I would look.

I'll post this to the benefit of everyone regarding the red push. This is what Wilt say:

That's why I said I'll post it to Moto to take a look--can't do that with every individual issue, to be sure, but if there's evidence of more than one or two, it's worth a shot.
So, if you want to hold off a little on the call, and aren't too troubled by what you're seeing, let me see what Moto has to say and go from there.
Whatever you prefer.
Thanks again,

If you have have seen a red push on your box, it may be a defective box. I'll wait until Wilt touch basis with Motorola.

hi guys,

Just a couple of random thoughts as I am still waiting for my Voom to be correctly installed.

You can not "really" evaluate red push until your gray scale is correctly set.

DVI and component can have very different signal paths and therefor very different "looking" signals. To calibrate for either DVI or component you need to have a reference unit connected to it (a DVD player or HD signal generator) and have the unit sending the appropriate scan rate. This will ensure your gray scale and color decoder is correctly set.

Regardless of an accurate display, HD TV is still TV (satellite, Cable, OTA). Meaning it is not reference and every channel will vary relating to color hues and intensities.

FWIW,

Gregg Loewen
Lion Audio Video Consultants
www.lionav.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)