Red Wings top 100 points for NHL-record ninth straight season

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Congrats on another fine season...which will only successful if they Keep the Cup!

[ame="http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=290315029"]Detroit Red Wings vs. Columbus Blue Jackets - Recap - March 15, 2009 - ESPN[/ame]

No need to hit the panic button, Detroit fans. Despite some bad games, rocky times and nagging question marks, the Red Wings are right back atop the heap.

Chris Osgood made 23 saves for his 49th career shutout, and the Red Wings beat the Columbus Blue Jackets 4-0 on Sunday to become the first team in NHL history to top 100 points in nine straight seasons.

"Obviously, to set an NHL record, it's phenomenal," coach Mike Babcock said. "I've only been part of it for four years, [but I'm] proud of the fact that for four years we've been over the century mark."

Babcock then went on to single out general manager Ken Holland, the Illitch family that owns the team and several veteran players, noting the patience they've shown to build a perennial powerhouse.

"That's beyond impressive," Babcock said. "When you look at that, I'm proud for those people. For us, we're just trying to get better and get prepared for the playoffs."

[ame="http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=290315029"]Detroit Red Wings vs. Columbus Blue Jackets - Recap - March 15, 2009 - ESPN[/ame]

This years team appears to come to play when there is something at stake.
A record in this case.
Earlier in the year they were going along playing so so, but when they got to the Top teams they put it together and played very good games.

If they are healthy in the playoffs, they should go far into the playoffs once again.

Jimbo

Its a nice accomplishment, I have some concerns about the defense though for the playoffs

I'm concerned too. If they put a few more games together like the last two, I'm sure the fears will wash away. Babcock announced yesterday that whoever plays best in goal from here out, will be the starting goaltender for the playoffs. Ozzie is off to a flying start on that!

GO RED WINGS!

This just penetrated my pea brain - The Wings just accomplished something the mighty Edmonton and Islander's teams didn't do. I hadn't thought of the current Wings to be in their class till now. 9 seasons in a row of 100 points! WOW! This team has to be thought of as one of the all-time best.

This just penetrated my pea brain - The Wings just accomplished something the mighty Edmonton and Islander's teams didn't do. I hadn't thought of the current Wings to be in their class till now. 9 seasons in a row of 100 points! WOW! This team has to be thought of as one of the all-time best.

Personally, I liked the mid to late 90's teams better.

But thats just me ....

Jimbo

Dad said I should read some article in Rolling Stone about Detroit, said it's really depressing and abysmal, glad to see something good is happening over there :p

Detroit has normally had pretty good Sports teams, something has to pick the city up.

Red Wings, Pistons have won championships.
Tigers have been contenders of late (I think last year was a fluke, I hope)
Lions, well, they are ... the Lions

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)