RedBox Trial

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
I got an email from Redbox today with a code for one month trial for their new RedBox instant Beta program. Only problem is I couldn't get it to let me access the site. I used to get the dvd's at the kiosk so they have all my info already. It kept asking for credit card info to bill after the one month trial. The website was stuck there at my existing credit card info. I went to RedBox chat three times trying to fix the issue...they couldn't help either lol. They are going to have someone email me in less than 72 hours to try and solve the problem. From what I can tell it's similar to Netflix's movies. I didn't see anything special like Tv shows etc...Looks to be $8 a month and 4 movie credits to use at the kiosk. Good news they said it will be added to Roku box after the beta is done. So I sit and wait to get more info from them in a few days and I'll report back if and when it works.

I got it also and have tried and and so far so good and if they get series it will rival Netflix but they have some catching up to do imo :)

Brian, I'm trying to log on to their new service and when it gets to the credit card info screen I keep getting an error 400 or 404. It gets stuck in a loop and times out it looks like. I've tried deleting credit card and re entering with no luck. It won't let me change anything. Redbox already has my credit card info from a few years ago, when I used to rent dvd's. It doesn't appear to be a issue with cookies or pop up blocker either. The issue is with the Redbox Instant log on and not the normal Redbox log on. Problem would've already been solved if you could talk to a real person in this country, rather than a chat session in a foreign country lol

Netflix informed me via email today that they're working on solving my problem...I'm not impressed so far lol

Redbox? Netflix? I'm confused. I think you meant Redbox?

I'm interested in hearing how you like it though if you get it working. Thanks

Owl,

I had problems signing up as well. Try using IE and make sure you check every box and enter all required fields. That worked for me.

As for the service itself, PQ is acceptable, selection is terrible, but 4 discs per month is nice. But not even in the same ballpark as Netflix content-wise, so I'll definitely cancel after the trial.

Looked like the only advantage Redbox has is the 4 discs per month. A lot of the content has already been taken by Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc...I don't see it lasting long term, unless they can pull a rabbit out of a hat so to speak. Guess I try this week and see if it works again or not.

Finally got signed into Redbox Instant today for my free 30 day trial. Might try and watch a couple of movies tonight. I quickly looked thru movie selection and it looked ok. I did get 4 movie credits to use this month. Since the Redbox box is only a mile away I figure I'll use two credits today or tomorrow. The movie credits might be a worthwhile incentive for some if the selection of instant movies are any good. At this point I figure I'll cancel at the end of the 30 days though. The selection of movies at the box isn't all that, so perhaps one would have trouble getting 4 really good free movies a month. Honestly I'm figuring Netflix is what we'll stick with long term. We've had it a couple of months and seem to like it so far along with the free Hulu stuff too.

If RedBox starts offering recent movies (2012), then it may be worth it...you won't see most recent movies on NetFlix (streaming) for a couple of years (with the exception of really bad ones).

Concord, I agree. Since the all the others beat RedBox to the game, I don't see where RedBox will have much to offer as far as content goes. Especially any good recent stuff.

More info for my earlier posting....Well I checked a couple of movies on RedBox. Frankenweenie and Hotel Transylvania which I guess are fairly new dvd releases. I also looked to see where else they were available. I thought since I've got Netflix for $8 a month first I'd check there. I didn't see them on Netflix so I looked some more. I found them at Amazon for rental at $3.99 each. RedBox had one on the instant beta and the other at the kiosk. Not sure if all the RedBox movies that are at the kiosk are supposed to be on RedBox instant or not. I would think so but in this case I found one but not the other. I'll do some more digging tomorrow and compare. Looks like its like everything else we like to watch...let's spend time looking for which service has what particular program or movie we want and pay accordingly. Wow all this streaming sure made my life easier....NOT lol

Last edited:
Ok here's my take on Redbox after further research last night. I checked on 11 movies available at the kiosk. All 11 movies weren't available for streaming! Not good. Redbox has this response...The movie studios don't let us stream every title on Redbox Instant by Verizon. That's where the kiosks come in -- making sure you can get the new releases you crave. So after 30 days I'm done with Redbox. Not a good service at all. Unless there's major changes I don't see this lasting long.

Ok here's my take on Redbox after further research last night. I checked on 11 movies available at the kiosk. All 11 movies weren't available for streaming! Not good. Redbox has this response...The movie studios don't let us stream every title on Redbox Instant by Verizon. That's where the kiosks come in -- making sure you can get the new releases you crave. So after 30 days I'm done with Redbox. Not a good service at all. Unless there's major changes I don't see this lasting long.

Which movie was available through streaming? And was it part of ther subscription or was there an extra fee involved to watch it? I see people talking about Redbox Instant not having that big a selection, but nobody specifically mentions what is available. Is it stuff that isn't on Netflix? If there isn't much of an overlap between Netflix and Redbox Instant ala carte selections, then the four dvd package would be good to complement Netflix streaming.

Mochuf, This morning I went to the RedBox kiosk site on the main page it had list of new movies to Redbox. I picked 11 at random and checked to see if they were on instant. None of them were. They are probably fairly new dvd releases which would be an advantage for RedBox instant. I didn't check Netflix or others to see if they were there. One older one was the movie "The Help" which isn't all that new and it wasn't on RedBox Instant. I'm sure that's available elsewhere by now. Without checking other sites I suspect maybe Amazon might have some of the new releases, at an additional cost of maybe $2.99-3.99 each, which doesn't help if you want the pay one price plans...which I prefer myself. At this point Netflix has RedBox beat any way you look at it. Just the vast amount of content that Netflix has beats RedBox whether its old or somewhat new.

Checked four movies on RedBox Kiosk site. Movies are Flight, Here comes the Boom, Hit & Run, and House at the end of the street. None available on RedBox Instant, only at the box. Amazon has Flight for $4.98 they have the others I mentioned at $3.99. RedBox could have an advantage if these type movies were part of the $8.00 a month deal...guess not

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)