Redoing roof in near future. Who’s responsible for DirecTV dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My understanding is the installers will no longer go up on a roof due to new OSHA regs, and there's a bunch of them, from the safety gear you're required to wear if you're within 6 feet of an edge (most dishes I've seen mounted on a roof) to how high a ladder you're legally allowed to use whether portable or permanent (2 different rules). If you don't follow the rules and you get injured your insurance may not pay.

OSHA's New Fall Regulations to Affect 112 Million Workers
D* is required to stay on the ladder when doing a roof install now, been that way for multiple years now.
Also, they are suppose to only install over a Non Living area, all though I don't know how strict they are about that one.

Mine is at the edge of the roof. Certainly accessible with just a ladder. I don’t own one big enough to reach, so when there’s heavy snow we just have to wait it out.

Mine is at the edge of the roof. Certainly accessible with just a ladder. I don’t own one big enough to reach, so when there’s heavy snow we just have to wait it out.
A long broom, even a stick, will get enough of the snow off the dish to restore a signal.

If the crack is underneath a super soaker can get into the lnb. Unless the dish is inaccessible, I'd go with a stick or broom.

My dish is on the corner of my two story house at eave level. Kinda wraps around the edge of the roof. The only time I do that is during a snow storm, so no ladder for me.

Thanks for the tip though, was not aware of that.

I used to use a large paint brush duck taped to the end of an old in-ground pool pole (the ones designed for vacuuming the pool). I stopped using that when I thought there might be a risk of doing damage.

My dish is on the corner of my two story house at eave level. Kinda wraps around the edge of the roof. The only time I do that is during a snow storm, so no ladder for me.

Thanks for the tip though, was not aware of that.

I used to use a large paint brush duck taped to the end of an old in-ground pool pole (the ones designed for vacuuming the pool). I stopped using that when I thought there might be a risk of doing damage.
You do have to be careful if you are using a stick. You don't want to whack the dish with anything heavy.

With DISH but recently had a roof replacement because of wind and hail damage.

My homeowners policy did give me a small amount added to my check for re-pointing of dish, i did not ask, they just included. My dish is accessible from a shorter 8 foot ladder on the eave of my breezeway roof on the back side of house. I did not allow the roofers to reinstall. roofers wanted to cut wires and I told them no, just had them leave the dish hanging and I sat the dish on the ladder for support until DISH installer showed up. Called DISH, added the coverage plan and they came out and reinstalled dish and re-pointed, no additional cost other than the monthly coverage plan. Will keep the coverage plan until past the required time limit and then will cancel.

Worked pretty simple for me.

If the crack is underneath a super soaker can get into the lnb. Unless the dish is inaccessible, I'd go with a stick or broom.

If it has a crack it should be replaced. If you are going to be worried about squirting water on it in the winter due to cracks "underneath" maybe you should squirt water on it in the fall and see if anything happens so you can get it replaced by Directv before it snows :)

If it has a crack it should be replaced. If you are going to be worried about squirting water on it in the winter due to cracks "underneath" maybe you should squirt water on it in the fall and see if anything happens so you can get it replaced by Directv before it snows :)
Good point.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Well I got the roof replaced today and the roofers asked if I wanted them to remount the “antenna”. I said yes because the sales guy said they mark it and put it in the exact same spot. They also have a 10 year no leak guarantee. Well tonight TV was working fine, at least Disney JR for the kids, and locals. I cannot get audience channel or any of the HBO’s, says signal loss. Signal strength on 101 is in the 90’s. I thought if 101 was good they all would be good since that’s in the middle of 99 and 103.

99 ca is 16 0’s flanked by 8 NA above and below it.
99cb shoes they are around 38 to 53.
99 s seems to just freeze up. Well it takes a long time to display a 0 at a time.
103(s) 4 zeros, 10 NA, then the next 9 range from 21 to 73.
103 ca numbers are between 20 and 38.
103 cb numbers are between 33 and 55.

I guess I need to call AT&T and get the dish pointed. I can’t reach it and if I did borrow my neighbors ladder, I wouldn’t be sure how to adjust it. Plus there is a screen that claims it makes beeping noises. I don’t hear any noises, even on 101 tp 1 which is at 95%.

Well I got the roof replaced today and the roofers asked if I wanted them to remount the “antenna”. I said yes because the sales guy said they mark it and put it in the exact same spot. They also have a 10 year no leak guarantee. Well tonight TV was working fine, at least Disney JR for the kids, and locals. I cannot get audience channel or any of the HBO’s, says signal loss. Signal strength on 101 is in the 90’s. I thought if 101 was good they all would be good since that’s in the middle of 99 and 103.

99 ca is 16 0’s flanked by 8 NA above and below it.
99cb shoes they are around 38 to 53.
99 s seems to just freeze up. Well it takes a long time to display a 0 at a time.
103(s) 4 zeros, 10 NA, then the next 9 range from 21 to 73.
103 ca numbers are between 20 and 38.
103 cb numbers are between 33 and 55.

I guess I need to call AT&T and get the dish pointed. I can’t reach it and if I did borrow my neighbors ladder, I wouldn’t be sure how to adjust it. Plus there is a screen that claims it makes beeping noises. I don’t hear any noises, even on 101 tp 1 which is at 95%.
The tones haven't worked in years.
Yes, let them re point it ... then you'll be good to go ...

Yeah I will call later. It’s doing this weird thing where it periodically claims signal loss on satellite in 1 at the bottom of the screen but there are no visual or audio impairments. It’s more of a nuisance / nag message, or boy who cried wolf syndrome, because the current channel is playing fine.

Depending on the lead time how long it takes to come out here, I’ll try one of those 5 or 7 day free trials of YouTube TV or Hulu live or something.

Reactions: c-spand
This happened to me and my neighbor. Get the protection plan before you call for repoint. Pay for the one or 2 months of plan and then opt out of plan,

Yeah I will call later. It’s doing this weird thing where it periodically claims signal loss on satellite in 1 at the bottom of the screen but there are no visual or audio impairments. It’s more of a nuisance / nag message, or boy who cried wolf syndrome, because the current channel is playing fine.

Depending on the lead time how long it takes to come out here, I’ll try one of those 5 or 7 day free trials of YouTube TV or Hulu live or something.
It's not a "weird thing". The satellite/transponder that is generating the 771 is probably nothing to do with the station you are watching.You need to look at all the transponders on all the satellites to see where the problem lies.

Reactions: raoul5788
It's not a "weird thing". The satellite/transponder that is generating the 771 is probably nothing to do with the station you are watching.You need to look at all the transponders on all the satellites to see where the problem lies.

To be honest, I could give two sheets what’s going on with transponders I’m not currently watching. There is no dismiss button on the banner, just a more button that fills the screen with troubleshooting info. That all makes sense IF I’m tuned to one of those transponders.

The phone call was brutal, took forever to get through. I could barely understand the lady between the thick accent and extremely low volume and loud background noise. I sounded like I was on speaker phone in a very overcrowded call center. Anyway she wanted me to do all kind of resets. No lady, I know the issue, I’m getting 0’s on a lot of transponders. I just got a new roof and the dish needs repointed. She didn’t seem to know what any of that meant. She could not help and gave me another number to call. 844-822-3352. The guy at that end was able to set up a tech visit for Saturday morning. He had an accent too, but not as thick and there was no background noise. The only issue is that this call (and every call) they wait forever for their computer systems to refresh. It sounds like they have terribly slow and underpowered systems at their desk. It was the same thing when I got the free LCC back in the summer. Really slow systems, apologies for the systems being slow... but eventually their 486SX computers got the information they needed to complete the transaction.

Guy came today. Was quick. He called me from his cell and I had to watch the screen and I heard him ratcheting away at something and one direction was worse and the other was good. Got all the signals around 95 on 99 and 103, and it even improved 101 a bit (some near 100).

Signing out was on an AT&T Samsung galaxy tab tablet. He drove a green dodge caravan with ladders on the roof rack and an authorized AT&T contractor magnet on the side.

Reactions: c-spand

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)