Redskins name controvesy

I don't know if I count as an "Activist" but the name Braves is fine with me. Many hada problem with some imagery that the Atlanta Braves uses (Chief Noca Homa comes to mind) but absent that the name is fine. It certainly is not something that was developed as a racail slur like the R-word. But I do not think that the Washington (or Boston) ownership ever intended it as a slur.

My question to those "offended", just how has the name hampered your life? Did you keep you from getting a job? Did it cause you to lose a job? Did it ruin your marriage? Did you suffer financially from the name? Does it cause you not to sleep? Did you develop depression or anxiety? Has it caused you to be admitted into a mental institution because of the anguish? Just how has the name Redskins being used by the Washington football team impacted your life in a negative non football fan way? I am appalled how MANY people portray and what they think of Southerners. Guess what? I either laugh, shrug it off and call them idiots, or I make fun of them. But, my life is not impacted by what people say. Who cares how derogatory that term is in today's society. If you are letting it impact you and getting so mad that you want to hit someone, well, that is on you and nobody else. How sad it must be to let other's have that much control over your open joy or happiness.

My question to you is how does someone asking you not to use a racial slur hamper your life?

You could replace the word "Redskins" with the N word and still make all those statements you just made. You're right, people shouldn't let any word someone says ruin their life. Still, why can't people have enough respect for other human beings to avoid derogatory terms? I feel like some people need to go back to kindergarten to learn some respect. "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all." What is the point of referring to a group of people by the n word or other racial slurs? All it does is make the person saying it look like an ignorant jerk with no respect for other people.

Reactions: Peter Parker
I don't know if I count as an "Activist" but the name Braves is fine with me. Many hada problem with some imagery that the Atlanta Braves uses (Chief Noca Homa comes to mind) but absent that the name is fine. It certainly is not something that was developed as a racail slur like the R-word. But I do not think that the Washington (or Boston) ownership ever intended it as a slur.
I put "activist" in quotes, mostly for those that are arguing against any indian imagery no matter how tasteful it might or might not be. Personally I think the Redskins name should be changed, as it is a slur.

Chief Noc-a-homa has been gone since '86 (the last noc-a-homa was actually an Odawa Indian). I remember when they got rid of him, and changed the logo from noc-a-homa to the tomahawk. So the Braves did bow to correctness and change things. I liked the logo change, so it didn't bother me. As for the mascot, I think they should have just changed the name, and dropped some of the slapstick and gone to a more straight mascot, such as how FSU handles Ocelola(sp?).

Agreed on the Braves. That is why I do not object to it. To me it is totally different. although some insist even that isa n issue but certainly not to me.

I think the name should stay as it is primarily out of respect for tradition. It was never intended as a racial slur and there are many years of tradition and loyalty built around the name. Had the name developed out of hatred or to ridicule I would agree with changing it, but that simply is not the case.

Tradition means nothing in the NFL, otherwise the Titans would still be called the Oilers, the Ravens would be the Browns.

As it is, changing to the Braves upholds tradition, as it's their original name.

My question to you is how does someone asking you not to use a racial slur hamper your life?

You could replace the word "Redskins" with the N word and still make all those statements you just made. You're right, people shouldn't let any word someone says ruin their life. Still, why can't people have enough respect for other human beings to avoid derogatory terms? I feel like some people need to go back to kindergarten to learn some respect. "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all." What is the point of referring to a group of people by the n word or other racial slurs? All it does is make the person saying it look like an ignorant jerk with no respect for other people.
If the team had black owners it would b a-ok

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

When someone uses the "N" word as a name for a business, sports team, or whatever, come talk to me. Until then, that is a straw man argument.

The other problem is, it will never stop. Something will ALWAYS offend someone. Again, we have developed a nation of sensitive wusses who allow words to dominate instead of actions.

If Nigger & Redskins are the same thing, why is one called the N-Word but the other isn't called the R-Word? If one is as bad as the other, shouldn't they be treated the same?

And why are there high school football teams called the Redskins on Indian reservations?

At the end of things, Washington is a privately owned team, the owner is free to name them whatever he wants. And people are free to not watch or buy anything associated with it. The Feds have no power to force a name change (that pesky 1st amendment), and people are free to not associate with or buy from the team.

Reactions: Tyralak and osu1991
If Nigger & Redskins are the same thing, why is one called the N-Word but the other isn't called the R-Word? If one is as bad as the other, shouldn't they be treated the same?

And why are there high school football teams called the Redskins on Indian reservations?

At the end of things, Washington is a privately owned team, the owner is free to name them whatever he wants. And people are free to not watch or buy anything associated with it. The Feds have no power to force a name change (that pesky 1st amendment), and people are free to not associate with or buy from the team.

I didn't say those two words were same thing. I just said he could swap the N word in for Redskins and make all the same statements. No, saying those words isn't gonna kill anyone. My point is that there is no reason to use words like the n word when referring to other human beings. Yes, you have the legal right to go around calling people whatever racist term you want to but it shows a total lack of respect for other people. I guess respect is the wussification of America though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I frankly don't care what Snyder does with the name. I have never liked that team anyway and root against them almost always. No, respect is not wussification but there seems to be a divide on whether the term Redskin, in the context of the name of this team (only in that context) is offensive or not. If you show that the owner or whoever named the team did it under the guise of trying to demean Indian's, you have a point. But, that isn't the case in this instance. But again, overall, my point remains that words seem to offend much more than actions and we have a minority who is setting this agenda. Also, when you get rap artists and other black's who constantly use the "N" "B", "C" word, and other derogatory words to describe blacks, women, and other's, then your idea of respect might mean something. Until then, as I say, people are just picking and choosing and using a double standard.

Tradition means nothing in the NFL, otherwise the Titans would still be called the Oilers, the Ravens would be the Browns.

As it is, changing to the Braves upholds tradition, as it's their original name.
Sad to say that the Bills are probably next on that list. If there's a fan base that deserves to keep their team it's the Buffalo Bills fans. Always selling out their games no matter the team or weather.

Sad to say that the Bills are probably next on that list. If there's a fan base that deserves to keep their team it's the Buffalo Bills fans. Always selling out their games no matter the team or weather.

Yep. Everyone knows Bill is just a slur for William. Clearly any William out there should be offended.:)

Reactions: riffjim4069

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)