Redskins name controvesy

Easy solution, no more names at all, just numbers. Wait, numbers offend me...maybe letters, no, that offends John....damn, there's no solution to this problem at all.

My wife is a good part Cherokee and she actually views the name Redskins in a positive light, as the meaning is that the team is strong like an Indian, not meant in a derogatory way.

Look, and I know we are veering close to PIT conversation but, if you are upset about what someone from the FCC is considering or even thought, call your congressman, your Senator's, the WH, and the FCC and voice your opposition or support. That is what I do. I will say it again, I don't care what Snyder names his team but it is pretty sad that "so" many are "offended" by a simple name when it has ZERO impact on their life. Develop some thicker skin people.

Reactions: thechaz05
I don't see how the FCC has the authority to ban a teams name after xx number of years. The courts will easily slap them down on this

Congress looking to take NFL's tax break away if it doesn't change Redskins name
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-...t-doesn-t-change-redskins-name-222237825.html
Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton is cosponsor of the House bill that would cut off the NFL's tax break. She represents the District of Columbia. ABC News said new bills were introduced in recent weeks to take away the not-for-profit designation. Norton said that the NFL might get that cushy tax break yanked ... unless it changes the Redskins' name.

"The NFL greed is so widespread that they’ve chosen to operate as a tax-exempt organization. So we want to take that choice away from them unless, and until, they decide not to profit from a name that has now officially been declared a racial slur,” Norton said on the ESPN/ABC podcast “Capital Games,” according to ABCNews.com.

If Congress does take away the NFL's tax exempt status,whether or not you agree that they should or should not be tax exempt,then the NFL should merge with the CFL & move their headquarters to Canada. Can you say tax inversion? I just wonder when the U.N. & the International Court of Justice will get involved with this nonsense? Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton represents the District of Columbia(which if I recall,IS NOT a state,& therefor Ms. Norton doesn't have a vote in congress),& has as much influence there as the congressman from Guam.

Couldn't they still use the nickname but use a red skin potato for a mascot instead of an Indian?

Couldn't they still use the nickname but use a red skin potato for a mascot instead of an Indian?

I actually made a graphic last year about that and posted it to my facebook page... I have seen a lot of folks using it as of late. :D
redskins.jpg

Reactions: hallrk and stmcld
I know no one reads the thread before posting, but I psted earlier in the thread if the tram had a potato mascot (name him Spuds McKenzie...perfect revival for cross promotions), fans wore potato hats and sang the potato fight song, this woulnt be an issue.

Efforts to force Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder to change the name of his NFL team got a boost Sept. 30 when FCC chairman Tom Wheeler said he would consider a petition to strip Snyder's Washington radio station of its license over the issue.
But this is only phase one for activist law professor John Banzhaf III, who filed the petition.

Banzhaf tells THR he wants to file petitions in L.A. to challenge the licenses of TV stations owned by ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox, whose on-air broadcasts use the name. He chose L.A. because it has a large Native American population and all California licenses are up for renewal Dec. 1.

Banzhaf is in talks with several Indian groups (he would not name names) about supporting his effort. He can't personally petition an L.A. station. It has to be done by a resident of the station's viewing area.

hollywoodreporter.com

Time for all who respect freedom to fight this law professor imho...

Reactions: osu1991
Efforts to force Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder to change the name of his NFL team got a boost Sept. 30 when FCC chairman Tom Wheeler said he would consider a petition to strip Snyder's Washington radio station of its license over the issue.
But this is only phase one for activist law professor John Banzhaf III, who filed the petition.

Banzhaf tells THR he wants to file petitions in L.A. to challenge the licenses of TV stations owned by ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox, whose on-air broadcasts use the name. He chose L.A. because it has a large Native American population and all California licenses are up for renewal Dec. 1.

Banzhaf is in talks with several Indian groups (he would not name names) about supporting his effort. He can't personally petition an L.A. station. It has to be done by a resident of the station's viewing area.

hollywoodreporter.com

Just a guy looking to cause trouble and get his 15mins of fame

hollywoodreporter.com

What happens when he comes across Indians that are fine with them using the name ?

Reactions: . Raine
People need to learn how to pick their battles.....

Practically every 2nd team name in pro-sports offends someone. You dont see them running for the hills screaming bloody murder

He could just as easily find a Scandinavian who disliked the Vikings name as an Indian who dislikes the Redskins name. It's not hard to find someone somewhere who hates anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)