Redskins name controvesy

What exactly are you asking me to prove?

The only time I asked anyone to prove anything was when they made a statement of fact, such as 90% whoever say X. I asked for the poll that said such. I was called an ass for doing that.

As to my Mick vs Irish comment, it is backed up by the English dictionary, pick your version.
And same goes for Redskin vs Indian.

Would the Chief of the Navajo nation be considered an expert on what is or is not disparaging to American Indians?

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/1...vajo-nation-president-during-game-agains.html

Bzxyu_uIUAAifxE.jpg

http://www.navajosquare.com/article...ins-mascot-indian-country-today-media-network

Friday, 11 April 2014 18:04
Navajo Nation Officially Joins Fight Against Redskins Mascot

Indian Country, News Report, Posted: Apr 14, 2014

The Navajo Nation Council has adopted a bill opposing the use of the name redskins, a term that the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples has called a “hurtful reminder. . .of the long history of mistreatment of Native American people in the United States.”

The Navajo Nation Council voted 9-2 on Thursday, April 10 on a bill called “Opposing the Use of Disparaging References to Native People in Professional Sports Franchises” introduced by Councilman Joshua Lavar Butler in March.

“It was not easy but we finally got approval by the council and the Navajo Nation has finally joined the rest of Indian country in this fight,” Butler told ICTMN on Friday. “I think the actions of our council clearly show that [members] recognize the negative impacts such derogatory names cause for our people and also for Indian country. As for our people, I think it gives them confidence in how they approach society and makes them proud to be Navajo knowing that their central government and their trust council finally took a position on this controversial topic.”

I know images are everything so the picture above proves to everyone that the Navajo are okay with the name, but it just isn't true.

The last line of the article posted with the picture above:
"This summer Shelly lost in a bid to be reelected president of the Navajo nation. His term will end early next year."

Take it for what it's worth

stmcld

I appreciate the thought it took to to compose your response. It is well considered and I appreciate your position. I have one question, though. Pick a racial or ethnic slur (as I posted previously), perhaps a disparaging aphorism that refers to an ethnic identity you may identify with and insert it in the place of the term Redskins in your post above. Do you still stand by it? If yes, great. No need to respond further. If not, why not?

And before someone else brings it up the equivalent terms is "Fighting Mics" not the Irish.

That, in my opinion, is a straw man argument. If and when you have a team that uses the N word or other terms along those lines in naming sports teams or whatever, then we can discuss that. Again, the thing for me, there are a lot more issues out there for me to get worked up about or upset about than the name of the Washington football team. It just isn't an issue in my opinion and many who are making it an issue don 't have the support to make Snyder change the name. If enough people agree that the name was derogatory, the outcry would force him to change the name or suffer the consequences. Heck, if enough season ticket holders felt that way and refused to buy tickets and most of those on a waiting list agreed, he would change the name. To this point, it just doesn't bother enough people. Let me give an example. The CEO of Starbucks said within the last year or so that he didn't want or need the money from Christians if they disagreed with him about SSM. Private business and that is what he wants or believes, so be it. I choose not to give him my money but my life has moved on and I have lost very little sleep over his opinion. Maybe I just have thicker skin that most people.

The Redskins Football team sued 5 native Americans?

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/native-americans-washington-redskins-lawsuit?
Five Native Americans are asking a Virginia judge to dismiss a lawsuit the Washington Redskins filed after the group successfully challenged the team's name, arguing it is offensive.
Lawyers for both sides were expected in federal court in Alexandria on Friday, where a judge was scheduled to hear arguments on whether the lawsuit should be thrown out.

I just saw on TV that the Navajo Nation high school Football team is named the "Redskins".

So I am not sure what this fight is about anymore.

Racial slur pure and simple. try naming a team the Blackies and see how long you get away with it. or the yellow skins. And it really reeks. We treated the Indians far worse than the slaves. The slaves were fed and clothed and housed and catered to for 200 plus years in guilt. The Indians? Oh we just slaughtered them and rounded the rest up into prison camps called reservations. We got away with the term redskin simply because there isn't enough of them left to complain.

Reactions: Tyralak
Pai: FCC Should Reject Calls to Ban Redskins Name

FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai did not weigh in on whether the Washington Redskins should change their name, but he did say the FCC should reject calls for the FCC to band the name.
That came in a speech at the Media Institute, where Pai keynoted the group's annual awards banquet.
But he said he was disturbed by an "eager constituency urging the federal government to ban the team’s name from our nation’s airwaves. Just think about what that could mean. A television station could be fined for accurately reporting that the score of last Sunday’s game was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 27, Washington Redskins 7. A radio station’s license could be revoked for using the team’s name during a news report on the controversy about the team’s name," he said.

"If the FCC took these steps, we would be squelching public debate about an issue of public concern. We would be standing in the way of media outlets reporting the news. And we would be prohibiting speech simply because we disagree with the viewpoint that is being expressed.

"No federal agency should cross that line. And public officials should not sound an uncertain trumpet when oft-offended opportunists urge us to undermine the First Amendment. We should follow Voltaire’s famous dictum: 'I may not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.' Anyone who takes seriously the Constitution — scholar or layman — knows the petition is meritless. The FCC should dismiss it tout suite, as Voltaire might have said."

broadcastingcable.com

FCC Refuses to Strip Redskins Owner's Broadcast License Over Team Nickname

The FCC has dismissed a series of claims against Snyder and his company Red Zebra concerning a Virginia radio station it owns, WWXX-FM, seeking to strip their license because the outlet broadcast the name Redskins which opponents claim is offensive to American Indians.

The FCC not only granted WWXX a license renewal, but also rejected arguments in petitions filed by opponents both on technical grounds and on the substance of the arguments.

The initial petition was filed Oct. 13 with the FCC by John Banzhaf III, an activist attorney and college professor, urging rejection of the WWXX license renewal and charging that Snyder does not "possess the character qualifications required of a commission licensee."

hollywoodreporter.com

Reactions: whitewolf8214
The challenges to broadcasters over the use of the term Redskins for the team whose name is, in fact, Redskins, are disappearing.

A second petitioner has withdrawn a challenge to Fox-owned KTTV Los Angeles over use of the Redskins name for the Washington football team.

According to a copy of the document filed with the FCC, Timothy Harjo has asked the FCC to discontinue the proceeding without any further action. He was one of three Native Americans to join legal analyst John Banzhaf on challenging broadcast stations over use of the term, which they argued was profane and perhaps hate speech.

That followed a similar move by Native American radio host Larry Smith Tuesday to drop his petition.

broadcastingcable.com

A great example of progressive, liberal thinking.

The Federal Government, which has Tomahawk cruise missiles, Apache
and Lakota helicopters and used the code name Geronimoin the attack
that killed Osama bin Laden, officially objects to the name
of the Washington Redskins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts