Reduced OTA signal strength passing through 4-way diplexer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jeffbags

Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Would anyone have any ideas on this issue?

To summarize, I am sending my antenna signal to a two-way splitter. From there, one antenna signal goes straight to one of my satellite receivers and has a very good OTA signal strength. The other antenna signal leads into a 4-way diplexer and from there the combined OTA and satellite signal travels to 3 more receivers. The OTA signal strength on these receivers is not near as good as the single receiver connected directly to the antenna. Does this indicate that I need to amplify the antenna signal? If so, would I do this before or after the 4-way diplexer? Would I need a separate amplifier for each of the signals running to the three receivers and should 10db be adequate?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi, your problem could possibly be the splitter. If you can take out the splitter and hook your antenna directly to the multi-switch. See if you get any better results on the other receivers. If so I would suggest getting a diplexer for the other receiver. My setup is like this and I get the same signal quality on both my digital converter boxes. Also the length of the cable run will greatly affect your signal.

Thanks "Paul Mall"...I will give that a try and see what the outcome is.

Just out of curiosity has anyone had experience with amplifying a combined OTA/Satellite signal and if so, did you put the amplifier before or after the diplexer (4-way diplexer located at the distribution panel in my case)? If it is possible to place the amplifier on the antenna cable just before entering the 4-way diplexer I would assume that the amplifier would be split among the 4 outputs (10/4=2.5 db per output). If I cannot amplify the antenna signal before entering the diplexer, would it be best to utilize a separate amplifier (10 db?) for each individual cable coming out of the 4-way diplexer?

Thanks,
Jeff

Boba,

My antenna does not go through my multiswitch. The four outputs of the multiswitch run into a 4-way diplexer. I also have an antenna cable running through a two way splitter, with one cable going directly to a receiver and the other antenna cable going into the 4-way diplexer. The receiver hooked directly to the antenna seems to have better OTA reception. So for clarification, would I amplify just before the 4-way diplexer (after the multiswitch) or amplify each individual cable coming out of the 4-way diplexer(carrying both the OTA and satellite signal)? If I amplify befor the diplexer how much amplification is safe (30 db?) since it is being divided into 4 cables?

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)