Referee aknowledges he blew calls, impacted Steelers win in SuperBowl XL!

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
Remember when the Seattle Seahawks totally got jobbed out of a Super Bowl trophy? Referee Bill Leavy does.
Haunted by blown calls in Super Bowl XL, referee Bill Leavy acknowledged officiating mistakes that may have contributed to the Seahawks' 21-10 defeat to the Pittsburgh Steelers 4 ½ years ago.

"It was a tough thing for me," Leavy said Friday. "I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter, and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that."
Seahawks | Super Bowl ref tells Hawks he blew calls | Seattle Times Newspaper

Remember when the Seattle Seahawks totally got jobbed out of a Super Bowl trophy? Referee Bill Leavy does.
Seahawks | Super Bowl ref tells Hawks he blew calls | Seattle Times Newspaper
Meh. Steelers still would've won.
helmet.gif

Let me preface this by saying I have been a Seahawks fan since their inception and I happen to live in Central PA where it seems 9 out of 10 people are Steeler fans, including my wife and many other family members and friends. When you wait three decades for your favorite team to reach the Super Bowl and they get stuck playing the one team you utterly despise most and you spend two weeks getting taunted by young children in Steeler apparel in restaurants and supermarkets once they noticed my Seahawks jacket (apparently the fact that they won four Super Bowls long before they were born was not enough for them). Then to have a game that went down the way it did, well its enough to nag at you for years to come.

I have never blamed the officiating as the sole cause of the outcome, the Seahawks made a few human errors themselves, at times they seemed overawed by the occasion. Those calls did infuriate me, but it infuriated me more that the NFL refused to acknowledge any errors in judgement. I lost a lot of respect for the NFL after that game and I am nowhere near the fan I used to be. I do respect Bill Leavy for stepping up and admitting this and that may start the healing process (Just in time for the lockout).

If the correct decisions had been made the Seahawks may have been champions, or maybe not, you never know how these things may have turned out. But here we are in 2010 and we have a team that is simply awful and you wonder why they didn't do a better job of seizing that special moment when they had the opportunity.

Last edited:
Let me preface this by saying I have been a Seahawks fan since their inception and I happen to live in Central PA where it seems 9 out of 10 people are Steeler fans, including my wife and many other family members and friends. When you wait three decades for your favorite team to reach the Super Bowl and they get stuck playing the one team you utterly despise most and you spend two weeks getting taunted by young children in Steeler apparel in restaurants and supermarkets once they noticed my Seahawks jacket (apparently the fact that they won four Super Bowls long before they were born was not enough for them). Then to have a game that went down the way it did, well its enough to nag at you for years to come.

I have never blamed the officiating as the sole cause of the outcome, the Seahawks made a few human errors themselves, at times they seemed overawed by the occasion. Those calls did infuriate me, but it infuriated me more that the NFL refused to acknowledge any errors in judgement. I lost a lot of respect for the NFL after that game and I am nowhere near the fan I used to be. I do respect Bill Leavy for stepping up and admitting this and that may start the healing process (Just in time for the lockout).

If the correct decisions had been made the Seahawks may have been champions, or maybe not, you never know how these things may have turned out. But here we are in 2010 and we have a team that is simply awful and you wonder why they didn't do a better job of seizing that special moment when they had the opportunity.

WOW, you THINK you got it bad, don't you ..... :rolleyes:

Try being a LION'S fan.

I have been a Lion's and a Steelers fan since I was very little, were talking my NFL rooting starts around 1969.
I have given up on the Lions since Barry's been gone, but still HOPE they win and cringe when I see some of the plays they make or don't make.

Some day they may be good again....
Personally, I'm hoping it's THIS year.

Btw, I'm just kiddin with you, but not about the Lion's.

WOW, you THINK you got it bad, don't you ..... :rolleyes:

Try being a LION'S fan.

I have been a Lion's and a Steelers fan since I was very little, were talking my NFL rooting starts around 1969.
I have given up on the Lions since Barry's been gone, but still HOPE they win and cringe when I see some of the plays they make or don't make.

Some day they may be good again....
Personally, I'm hoping it's THIS year.

Btw, I'm just kiddin with you, but not about the Lion's.

Very true, one could say at least the Lions had a few titles in the pre-Super Bowl era (just like the Browns, Eagles, and Cardinals) but they resonate as much as those pre-birth Super Bowl titles to those kids I was referring to. The Lions time will come. Every NFL team save the Texans has advanced to at least an Conference title game since 1984 and these things are cyclical. A team like the Bengals has started to shed the effect of years of mismanagement and I am sure before too long the Matt Millen era will just be another footnote in the Lions history. The Seahawks will have their day too, it just doesn't seem like it will be anytime soon.

Very true, one could say at least the Lions had a few titles in the pre-Super Bowl era (just like the Browns, Eagles, and Cardinals) but they resonate as much as those pre-birth Super Bowl titles to those kids I was referring to. The Lions time will come. Every NFL team save the Texans has advanced to at least an Conference title game since 1984 and these things are cyclical. A team like the Bengals has started to shed the effect of years of mismanagement and I am sure before too long the Matt Millen era will just be another footnote in the Lions history. The Seahawks will have their day too, it just doesn't seem like it will be anytime soon.

Every team has advanced to the Conference Title game ?
The Lions did ?
Was that the game they LOST 44-0 to Washington, or am I thinking of a different playoff game ....
Lions have only been in a few that they have really had a CHANCE to win.

They have had thier share of playoffs awhile back, but they were 8-8 or 9-7 teams with little chance of going any further.

Every team has advanced to the Conference Title game ?
The Lions did ?
Was that the game they LOST 44-0 to Washington, or am I thinking of a different playoff game ....
Lions have only been in a few that they have really had a CHANCE to win.

They have had thier share of playoffs awhile back, but they were 8-8 or 9-7 teams with little chance of going any further.

It was in fact the 1991 NFC Championship (actually January of 1992) at RFK Stadium. I think the final was 41-10. They had beaten the Cowboys quite soundly at the Silverdome the previous week.

It was in fact the 1991 NFC Championship (actually January of 1992) at RFK Stadium. I think the final was 41-10. They had beaten the Cowboys quite soundly at the Silverdome the previous week.

Well that was pretty close for this old brain. :eek:

Btw, It's always good to beat the cowboys !

I agree.

And WHY is this ref bringing this up almost five years later? :confused:

Perhaps to get his 15 minutes of fame. :rolleyes:

I wondered that too ....
Said it was his first time back in Seattle, but still, I'd want to forget about it, now he'll be asked about it for quite some time again.

I agree.

Because he is only thinking about himself. This game wouldn't of ended differently and those calls he made was correct, he is just trying to make himself look better to the NFL.

No they didn't.

I bet if it was another team except the team you are soooooo jealous of you wouldn't of said that.

Maybe just maybe one day your team can win a superbowl or world series or maybe a NBA championship.....ummmmmmmmm....No they wont.

Last edited:
meanwhile Rich Garcia will make a announcement soon that Jeffrey Maier leaning over and catching that ball in Yankee Stadium was fan interference and the batter was out back in 96 ;)

BillD1984 said:
I agree.

Mike Kerry will do the same thing in a couple years. It does no good, just opens old wounds that were already healed.

Never thought I'd have to bring this one back up, but here it is:
whine.GIF

That one call had no bearing on the outcome. The Seahawks killed themselves with interceptions and clock managment.

DISH Network could lose Tigers, Pistons and Red Wings games

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts