? regarding TV2 output on dual tuner receiver???

asmcbride

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
WV/VA
I'm thinking of upgrading soon from what I currently have (one 811 and one 301). Before I do I have a few quick ?s regarding the newer receivers...I'm currently using the 811 on an HDTV with the old HD pack. The TV in my bedroom is currently using the 301 via an S-Video cable, which is decent enough for this room. What I'd like to know is if there is any way to use a newer dual tuner receiver (622) to do both my HDTV and my bedroom TV, and do this with a connection of at least SVideo? I know that TV2 (bedroom) can be powered via a coax cable, but I dont want to go that route. Is there any type of device that would take that coax signal going to TV2 and bump it up to a better signal where I can use SVideo or Component or something? It seems to me that with everyone upgrading to these nice widescreen HD TVs, it doesn't make any sense to have a dual tuner receiver that is only going to give that 2nd TV a mediocre input like coax...

If I were to hook up the HDTV (TV1) via HDMI, could I then use the component or SVideo output to run TV2, or does that mean that the channels will be the same on both TVs? Or is only one of those outputs live at a time?

--mcbride

thats what I thought. Does anyone know of any 3rd party device that can take the TV2 output from coax and increase it to a better type of output before it goes into the TV?

thats what I thought. Does anyone know of any 3rd party device that can take the TV2 output from coax and increase it to a better type of output before it goes into the TV?

Asmcbride,

I don't know of any device to convert RF to S-video. I just recently did what you are thinking about doing and the RF signal is much better than expected. It is not like the days of ch3 or ch4 VCR connections. If on a closed circuit with no OTA signals on the coax, it is very good.

The 622 does have composite out for TV2, and there are composite to S-video filters. That would work for what you want.

Miner

I'm thinking of upgrading soon from what I currently have (one 811 and one 301). Before I do I have a few quick ?s regarding the newer receivers...I'm currently using the 811 on an HDTV with the old HD pack. The TV in my bedroom is currently using the 301 via an S-Video cable, which is decent enough for this room. What I'd like to know is if there is any way to use a newer dual tuner receiver (622) to do both my HDTV and my bedroom TV, and do this with a connection of at least SVideo? I know that TV2 (bedroom) can be powered via a coax cable, but I dont want to go that route. Is there any type of device that would take that coax signal going to TV2 and bump it up to a better signal where I can use SVideo or Component or something? It seems to me that with everyone upgrading to these nice widescreen HD TVs, it doesn't make any sense to have a dual tuner receiver that is only going to give that 2nd TV a mediocre input like coax...

If I were to hook up the HDTV (TV1) via HDMI, could I then use the component or SVideo output to run TV2, or does that mean that the channels will be the same on both TVs? Or is only one of those outputs live at a time?

--mcbride

You can look at the TV1 feed on TV2 overe the coax it's at least a 16x9 feed and does not look to bad.

I am using the RF output from a 942 to feed a Panasonic DVD recorder and was pleasantly surprised with the quality. I will try the S-video output when the 622 arrives assuming the Panasonic will accept it but I doubt it will make a lot of difference.

asmcbride,

Another nice thing about the 622 is the RF output is for both TV1 and TV2 (with different channel frequencies). That way, once can watch 2 shows on the RF TV.
I'm also included a picture of the 622 from the dishnetwork portal showing the back connectors. TV1 is composite, S-video, component and hdmi, TV2 is composite only. The RF out can be set for TV1, TV2 or both. A composite to S-video adapter is under $10 and will give you what you want.

Miner

Attachments

• rece_622.jpg
    rece_622.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 185
thanks for all the info. I'm confused about what youre saying about being able to watch 2 shows from the RF output, how exactly does that feature work? Could I then potentially use this receiver to host 3 TVs? Could I push signal to a local TV with HDMI, then push signal to 2 more remote TVs by splitting the RF output after coming out of the receiver and sending it to 2 other TVs?

... Does anyone know of any 3rd party device that can take the TV2 output from coax and increase it to a better type of output before it goes into the TV?
You cannot "increase it to a better output". Once the signal has been degraded, the damage is done. If you don't like it as "channel 60" or composite video, then you really won't like it as "channel 60 or composite video converted to s-video" :)

I have an ExpressVu 9200 (which as we know is basically the same box as the Dish942). I send the TV2 composite video and stereo audio to one of the RF modulators in my "in-house" cable system. It looks surprisingly good on the remote TV's. If at all possible, see if you can demo the PQ of the RF output somewhere. You may find that flexibility -- especially the ability to get both outputs as two different channels -- outweighs the loss of direct s-vid.

If you must have the best possible output -- and yeah, no s-video on TV2 is an old sore spot -- then you can, as mentioned, send composite over coax a fair distance, and AV-over-Cat5 systems that go much farther are not too terribly expensive either.

asmcbride,

What the 622 allows is RF output of both TV1 and TV2. You can always split the coax and distribute it to more than 1 TV, even with the basic 301. But the 622 allows you to watch 2 different shows on the TVs that are connected via coax. For example, I have my 622 connected to my HD via HDMI, and then 2 TVs connected via RF (master BR and garage), with TV1 on 60 and TV2 on 62. On the remote TVs, 60 shows whatever I'm watching on the HD, and 62 shows whatever I have on TV2. If the wife wanted to watch something in the MBR I would tune the garage TV to 60 and tune the HD to what I want to watch. If the wife (or kid) wanted to watch something on the HD, I tune the garage TV to 62 and watch TV2. My 942 did not have that feature.

It will not output 3 different signals over Coax, just 2. That would be really nice.

Miner

An additional benefit of the 622's TV2 output is that you can see the all of the HD Channels programming down converted to SD. Your 301 will not give you that access.

Pat

I put the 622 in the bedroom as TV1 via s-video and have coax going to the living room TV as TV2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts