Regional sports channels

"There's not a single regional sports network in the country that will take an at-will deal like that," Altitude spokesman Tom Philand told The Denver Post. "It's a death knell for the RSN [regional sports network] business."

Oh yeah, they will say this. But not being on many providers at all does not help either. It's complicated. Channels are tied to team contracts - and those demands can't be met.

In a lot of ways this is the way this eventually goes - Altitude/Fox, etc. gets to decide what to charge and gets free access to the provider and keeps 100% of the take. DISH offered this as an alternative to locals over the years as well. Forces the sports team to show us how much they are taking from us.

And yes, the model won't survive. The model is set up to charge is $5 or $6 and require it across 85% of customers. As long as this is the model it will no longer work to get back on DISH, Youtube, and come this summer, Comcast.

The only real exit for all of this is to take the whole industry to bankruptcy, try to break contracts, and restructure.

A little hope. Dish did the same thing back in July - had an extension for 4 days, maybe? And then they were dropped.
I think you're right! A friend let me have one of his 6 Youtube TV subscriptions last summer, which enabled me to still watch Cardinal baseball. He was thrilled to hear about the extension today (as I was), but I told him I seemed to remember that extension for Dish lasting less than a week. Hope that's not the case this time.

What happens to the sports stars with million dollar contracts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
They better start earning them more, by encouraging more money spent direct to the teams and leagues. Otherwise, their value is no longer worth what they are being paid and they are let go. You better believe the teams and leagues are taking this into account as contracts renew. Otherwise the clubs also go bankrupt, and they disappear altogether.

Why can't dish get an agreement like YouTube tv just agreed to:

This is interesting in that Sinclair didn't make them take every RSN. Is that common to not force every single channel? Or maybe Sinclair is at the point they can't force it?

This is interesting in that Sinclair didn't make them take every RSN. Is that common to not force every single channel? Or maybe Sinclair is at the point they can't force it?

I think Sinclair knew they needed some coverage rather than lose carriage on all of them. Considering Amazon is part owner of YES, it wouldn't surprise me to see more games streamed through Prime or available as an add-on now.

Reactions: zippyfrog
They still don't have any of the AT&T Sports Net RSNs, so....

Has there ever been any talks about YTTV getting the AT&T Sportsnet RSNs?

Probably because Sinclair knows Charlie won't compromise much, besides Sinclair is in a dire situation, where they're losing coverage for their programming. They maybe willing to negotiate with Google/YouTube, but not hard ass Charlie. Charlie understands that a majority of his clients are not willing to pay more for sports programming that they're never or rarely going to watch. So he offered them an Al La Carte situation and they rejected it. I think it's bad enough that ESPN is able to get their money from people who dont watch it.

Reactions: Marv B
DISH can get the same deal as Youtube, and may. The idea is maybe keeping the primary market customers and pushing the regional ones over to the multi-sports package. I can see this might be workable. We'll see soon. Baseball is approaching.

Probably because Sinclair knows Charlie won't compromise much, besides Sinclair is in a dire situation, where they're losing coverage for their programming. They maybe willing to negotiate with Google/YouTube, but not hard ass Charlie. Charlie understands that a majority of his clients are not willing to pay more for sports programming that they're never or rarely going to watch. So he offered them an Al La Carte situation and they rejected it. I think it's bad enough that ESPN is able to get their money from people who dont watch it.

Reactions: Marv B
I'll bet it's as simple as Dish wanting to keep the Flex Pack add-ons intact, and Sinclair saying "no way".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)