Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Respond to this post by replying above this line
New post on sbeblog

Register Your C-Band Receive-Only Earth Station Now
by SBE
The Battle for the C-Band Heats Up

On April 19, 2018, the FCC issued a public notice of a temporary freeze on applications for new or modified fixed satellite service earth stations and fixed microwave stations operating in the 3.7-4.2 GHz band. This is the C-Band downlink. The notice also established, as a limited exception to the freeze, a 90-day window allowing existing entities that now own Fixed Satellite Service earth stations to register or license them if not currently licensed or registered. During this 90-day window, earth station users of this band can also modify currently licensed or registered earth stations.

The FCC explains plainly that the purpose of the freeze is to preserve the status quo in the C-Band pending FCC action in its open inquiry into "the possibility of permitting mobile broadband use and more intensive fixed use of the band" pursuant to Docket 18-122. This is known informally as the "mid-band proceeding" and it is a freight train. Congress, in the Mobile Now Act (Part of the 2018 Appropriations Act), called on the FCC to study the feasibility of federal and non-federal sharing of the 3.7-4.2 GHz band and to submit a report to the Secretary of Commerce and Congress within 18 months. In other legislation, the Repack Airwaves Yielding Better Access for Users of Modern Services (Ray Baum's Act), the NTIA and the FCC are required to submit reports evaluating the feasibility of allowing commercial wireless services to share use of specified frequencies between 3.1 and 4.2 GHz. If such sharing is feasible, the reports must identify which of the frequencies are most suitable: (1) for sharing with commercial wireless services through the assignment of new licenses by competitive bidding, (2) for sharing with unlicensed operations, or (3) for sharing through a combination of licensing and unlicensed operations. So there is a direct threat to the C-Band.

As noted in the public notice, there is a 90 day filing window for Receive-Only Earth Stations that have not been registered or licensed and current registrations and licenses can be modified. It is critical that you immediately see to the licensing or registration of your C-Band receive-only earth station within this window or risk losing the programming feeds. The window opened April 19 and it closes July 18, 2018. Don't miss this opportunity.

Read the public notice
Info on registering Earth station sites

SBE | April 23, 2018 at 3:17 pm | Categories: INDUSTRY, LEGISLATIVE UPDATE, NEWS, TECHNOLOGY | URL: Register Your C-Band Receive-Only Earth Station Now
Comment See all comments Like
Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from sbeblog.
Change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
Register Your C-Band Receive-Only Earth Station Now
Thanks for flying with WordPress.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds double ungood.

Gets them a mailing list of someone they may wish to go after one day.

That was my first thought also. And even if the federal government has no interest in shutting us down, it provides a database that just invites local tin-badge zoning officials to come snooping around. People who've had dishes for years could suddenly receive a letter from local officials demanding that their dish be taken down, or that they'll be fined if they don't.

Personally I'd rather take my chances with potential interference before I'd give up all that personal information on a government form (I know you ham radio guys probably think I'm stupid because you've been voluntarily giving up your personal information to the government for years, and they have reciprocated by putting your information online where anyone who knows your ham radio call can find your address. You may be willing to make that trade, but not everyone is. And as a ham you do have some protections against local zoning officials that others don't, and even then the locals will sometimes attempt to force a ham to remove his tower, at least until the ARRL and/or an attorney gets involved).

Plus that form is way overly-complicated for the average person with a dish, but that was probably their intent all along. I would be genuinely surprised if more than 1% of private dish owners register their dishes (commercial entities excepted). I'd even be surprised if more than 10% of the people who read this thread and who are not ham radio operators do. Hams seem to be a different breed, the ones I have known would probably rush to fill out the damn thing.

I've realized for some time now that satellite TV won't be a thing forever. But I also hope that as long as your dish isn't looking right into a cell tower, it should be directional enough to pick up the signals from the sky and ignore the signals from ground sources. If it can distinguish between satellites that are 2° apart, it sure ought to be able to tune out a ground-based signal from a few miles away. If I'm wrong, I guess I'll find out someday, but by then we may be getting all our video from the Internet anyway.

Anyone can find anyone's address today. You don't need the FCC's database to do it anymore. Our info has been farmed out so much a simple google search can yield the same information.

Anyone can find anyone's address today. You don't need the FCC's database to do it anymore. Our info has been farmed out so much a simple google search can yield the same information.

Just go to findpeoplesearch.com and you'll get your last several addresses, phone numbers, and a list of people you're related to and/or associated with. My father and I have the same first and (unique) last name, so it mixed us together, but it's freaky.

Now back to your regularly scheduled C-band thread.

That was my first thought also. And even if the federal government has no interest in shutting us down, it provides a database that just invites local tin-badge zoning officials to come snooping around. People who've had dishes for years could suddenly receive a letter from local officials demanding that their dish be taken down, or that they'll be fined if they don't.

Personally I'd rather take my chances with potential interference before I'd give up all that personal information on a government form (I know you ham radio guys probably think I'm stupid because you've been voluntarily giving up your personal information to the government for years, and they have reciprocated by putting your information online where anyone who knows your ham radio call can find your address. You may be willing to make that trade, but not everyone is. And as a ham you do have some protections against local zoning officials that others don't, and even then the locals will sometimes attempt to force a ham to remove his tower, at least until the ARRL and/or an attorney gets involved).

Plus that form is way overly-complicated for the average person with a dish, but that was probably their intent all along. I would be genuinely surprised if more than 1% of private dish owners register their dishes (commercial entities excepted). I'd even be surprised if more than 10% of the people who read this thread and who are not ham radio operators do. Hams seem to be a different breed, the ones I have known would probably rush to fill out the damn thing.

I've realized for some time now that satellite TV won't be a thing forever. But I also hope that as long as your dish isn't looking right into a cell tower, it should be directional enough to pick up the signals from the sky and ignore the signals from ground sources. If it can distinguish between satellites that are 2° apart, it sure ought to be able to tune out a ground-based signal from a few miles away. If I'm wrong, I guess I'll find out someday, but by then we may be getting all our video from the Internet anyway.

If it's going to interfere with ours, it will interfere with DISH and DirecTV as well. I can't imagine that going well once they start filing lawsuits. I'll take my chances. I'm not registering my dishes with the federal government. Anything they get ahold of turns out to be a diaster. Everything I get right now is a bonus, so if I lose it, I'm not out anything other than a few bucks for equipment.

Sounds double ungood.

Gets them a mailing list of someone they may wish to go after one day.

Been there, done that crap fight, they lost it to Al Gore who was a congressman back then in 1984 this is BS, the cable used their lobby to fight it really hard, so I have to ask who pulled this one up, and from who's arse?

So size matters, now
:D

Reactions: navychop
I dare say no search will yield many C band home users, identified as such.
Not accurate, you can find them all in one place! A certain motorsports website that had a-lot of cband feeds on it thats indexed by search engines! Lol! There are a few other sites out there.

Not accurate, you can find them all in one place! A certain motorsports website that had a-lot of cband feeds on it thats indexed by search engines! Lol! There are a few other sites out there.

They only need to look here LOL

I think it would easier to find every AR-15 no I do not have one or need one, and after having a C-band here since 1982, I took my 12 footer down
I'm way too burned out in the satellite to even want it, but it was a sad day for me, I felt like crap, but I was getting a new roof put on, and that needed to go.
I was not using it, I could not even service it, my right hip is now fake, and going on roofs is out, falling off a roof did destroy my hip, but it took more than one fall or a controlled fall/jump.
But happy to help someone out, even a phone call, but if you did some really dumb thing expect I will tell you, found a few guys here :biggrin

Reactions: goaliebob99
But that would only be true if your username or details contain a ham radio call, OR if you have ever given your address or some other personally identifiable information in an online post.

It's the ham radio guys that have really put their information out there in these forums, but on the other hand they do get some protections from the local yokels that the rest of us don't. I don't know if it's entirely accurate, but I had a friend (who is a ham) tell me that if the locals ever gave me grief about my dish, all I'd need to do is get the lowest class ham license and then say the dish is part of my ham radio setup, and they couldn't touch it (I suppose this is not universally true, there are probably exceptions in the law such as having to conform to setbacks and maybe having to put the dish in the back yard whenever possible, but it would make it harder for them). But I am not a lawyer, and I'm also not a ham, so I have no idea how true that might be.

Anyway, this is an argument no one will ever win. Those who are concerned about privacy and/or don't fully trust the government won't fill out that form, nor will those who find the form too long and complicated, no matter what anyone else says. Those who think that filling out that form will actually somehow do some good, will. And really, it's a crap shoot, you just don't know if filling out that form would really do any good, or if it would give you greater exposure for harassment by government officials in the future. So everyone has to decide for themselves whether to do it, and I for one respect your decision either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brct203
I think I'll register mine. The mobile phone companies want to be all over this spectrum, especially in urban areas where demand is high for wireless broadband.

I can imagine them being allowed access to the spectrum on the basis of not interfering with existing spectrum users. Registered stakes your claim to that status and will put a little dot on their network planning software that will indicate where a user is located.

I also use my C-band feed for work, so have an added stake in keeping reception clear. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: goaliebob99
But that would only be true if your username or details contain a ham radio call, OR if you have ever given your address or some other personally identifiable information in an online post.

It's the ham radio guys that have really put their information out there in these forums, but on the other hand they do get some protections from the local yokels that the rest of us don't. I don't know if it's entirely accurate, but I had a friend (who is a ham) tell me that if the locals ever gave me grief about my dish, all I'd need to do is get the lowest class ham license and then say the dish is part of may ham radio radio setup, and they couldn't touch it (I suppose this is not universally true, there are probably exceptions in the law such as having to conform to setbacks and maybe having to put the dish in the back yard whenever possible, but it would make it harder for them). But I am not a lawyer, and I'm also not a ham, so I have no idea how true that might be.

Anyway, this is an argument no one will ever win. Those who are concerned about privacy and/or don't fully trust the government won't fill out that form, nor will those who find the form too long and complicated, no matter what anyone else says. Those who think that filling out that form will actually somehow do some good, will. And really, it's a crap shoot, you just don't know if filling out that form would really do any good, or if it would give you greater exposure for harassment by government officials in the future. So everyone has to decide for themselves whether to do it, and I for one respect your decision either way.

What amazes me is the government already knows who you are.. They have your social security number and information. You file taxes every year right! The paranoia is deep in this forum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)