Register your cband dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think I'll register mine. The mobile phone companies want to be all over this spectrum, especially in urban areas where demand is high for wireless broadband.

I can imagine them being allowed access to the spectrum on the basis of not interfering with existing spectrum users. Registered stakes your claim to that status and will put a little dot on their network planning software that will indicate where a user is located.

I also use my C-band feed for work, so have an added stake in keeping reception clear. Thanks for the heads up.

This is exactly why I registered mine.

What amazes me is the government already knows who you are.. They have your social security number and information. You file taxes every year right! The paranoia is deep in this forum.
You only file taxes if you make enough money to owe taxes, but that's irrelevant here. What is relevant is that there is no question on any tax or social security form that asks whether you have a satellite dish. This form (the one at the top of this thread) is the first attempt by the federal government that I am aware of that specifically attempts to identify home satellite dish owners (at least since perhaps the 1980's).

Let's not forget the DACA kids. They were told that registering their status with the government would be helpful to them. Then came the change in administration, and suddenly the expectations for how their data would be used were totally upended. I'm not trying to make this into a political discussion, just pointing out that even if filling out a form seems benign enough now, a change in policy at either the federal level or a lower level of government could mean that the data could be used against you. I'm sorry, but the federal government has not given me any reason to place a high amount of trust in them. Yes, they already have some information on me and you and everyone else, but it may not be sensible to give them more data about yourself (or your hobby) than is actually required by law.

Also with taxes, if the form is too complicated you can take it to a tax preparer or use an online service (sometimes even for free if you are low income) to help you fill it out. This form is more complicated than many tax forms I have seen!

You only file taxes if you make enough money to owe taxes, but that's irrelevant here. What is relevant is that there is no question on any tax or social security form that asks whether you have a satellite dish. This form (the one at the top of this thread) is the first attempt by the federal government that I am aware of that specifically attempts to identify home satellite dish owners (at least since perhaps the 1980's).

Let's not forget the DACA kids. They were told that registering their status with the government would be helpful to them. Then came the change in administration, and suddenly the expectations for how their data would be used were totally upended. I'm not trying to make this into a political discussion, just pointing out that even if filling out a form seems benign enough now, a change in policy at either the federal level or a lower level of government could mean that the data could be used against you. I'm sorry, but the federal government has not given me any reason to place a high amount of trust in them. Yes, they already have some information on me and you and everyone else, but it may not be sensible to give them more data about yourself (or your hobby) than is actually required by law.

Also with taxes, if the form is too complicated you can take it to a tax preparer or use an online service (sometimes even for free if you are low income) to help you fill it out. This form is more complicated than many tax forms I have seen!

Your address crossed checked with google maps.. Keep your FUD politics out of here, and into the pit where it belongs.

Reactions: Martyn
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)