Regular network channels w/o cable subscription?

Cadenza

Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Hi,

I just moved into an apartment that has TW cable (no box). With the cable plugged directly to my 20-yr old Sony I had channels 2-99 (no HBO) in the past 6 weeks. I assumed TW hadn't gotten around to disconnecting the service for the previous tenant. Today, all channels are out. I thought you get the local network channels even without subscribing, which was the case with my previous apartment about 10 miles away.

So does TW allow access to the local network channels (cbs, abc, nbc...) without a subscription?

Thanks for your help.

My cousin works for Time warner and his job is to go around and catch people either stealing cable (I am NOT putting you in this category) or, he catches loose ends....he then cuts the line, or disconnects and sells them cable, so this may have happened to you....also I must tell you time warner put a trap on my line, because I have Road Runner and thats it, and I dont really get anything except what my QAM tuner picks up.

I'm only interested in the regular local network channels that one gets with rabbit ear antennas. Since I've always had access to these channels at other apartments w/o a subscription, I'm curious whether TW provides the same. It's an apartment complex, so I can't install a 7-ft antenna on the roof.

Thanks though

You are unable to receive ANY channels offered by the cable company unless they are in contract with your complex to provide basic service, otherwise, anyone who wishes to receive basic services MUST pay for the basic tier, typically $15/mo. Cable Companies call the apartmentsn that already have cable activated in all units "Bulk" apartments, meaning, everyone is active, and the complex actually charges YOU the basic fee in your rent, and the complex pays the cable company the FULL amount of money owed to them, for the number of units they have signal to.

I recently canceled my cable tv service with TW about 6 or 7 weeks ago but I kept my high speed internet with them. I had a cable box but they picked that up and I tried connecting the cable directly into my Sony HD tv and I was still able to pick up channels 2-99 along with a number of digital channels.

I told TWC about this and they knew I would still be able to pick up these channels but they said it was ok and that I would not be billed. As of the past 4 weeks or so I now can no longer receive any analog channels(2-99) but I am receiving some digital channels. Channels 2-99 and mainly just snowy with some sound though. I wonder what happened as to why I no longer receive these channels. Someone mentioned something about a "trap" on his internet. What is that? I no I canceled my cable tv but I was just wondering about no receiving those analog channels. It would cost me around $30.00 just to receive those channels. I might as well go back to my digital cable for that price.

Because you are not suppose to get those channels. The tech who picked up your box should of installed a "Internet only" trap. The reason you get some digital channels is because when the traps were made they were not designed for Digital channels. They were designed to take out the analog lineup and leave the higher band freq alone to allot for the internet to work. So some digital channels will slip through. When you called them they put in a work order to have the line trapped. So someone went out and applied the filter on the line.

Thanks stevenl for that information. I guess they can put this internet trap on without having to go into the apt. The guy who came out to pick up the cable box did not do anything except pick up the box. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)