reinstalling dish and i need help

mattsdish

Original poster
May 13, 2010
new England
I am going back to dish. I went into the basement and found the lines coming in from the satellite. From this point I am stuck and idol is on tonight. What splitter do I need and can I get step by step on install. I am doing this for my grandmother since she thinks anyone that comes into her house steals lol. Biggest mistake I made was switching to cable.

Mercy, there is alot left out of your post.
Do you have an active account with DISH, do you have a useable receiver?

Yes my account is active and my recievers work fine they are 622 VIP I have two of them. When I checked the signal coming in with the meter I got it said pass 2 whatever that means

The way it was hooked up before was that sat lines went into a splutter and out to to the recievers. If you guys have pics that will help. Because I thought one line was for HD and the other was programming. Can i use just a regular splitter or do o need a special one

Last edited:
The way it was hooked up before was that sat lines went into a splutter and out to to the recievers. If you guys have pics that will help. Because I thought one line was for HD and the other was programming. Can i use just a regular splitter or do o need a special one

It is not a splitter in the usual sense. It is called a separator and is not the same as a regular signal splitter. What happened to the ones you had that came with the 622?

If you are talking about the one that goes into the reaciever those are in place. In my house the way it was hooked up was the lines from the dish came into the basement and then were split to send signal to the living room box and the box in the bedroom. Sorry if I am confusing you I am not great at this to simplify two lines from each box go to the basement I would assume into a splitter but when I do that I get no tv

It wouldn't be a splitter. Splitters are not used in (normal) satellite TV installs. What you probably had was a switch. You would have cables coming from the dish to the switch, then from the switch to the rooms. How big was this device? If it was almost the size of a splitter, then it was probably not a switch, but a diplexer. It would be great if you had some pictures available so we can walk you though it.

Is that why I have no signal coming out the other end of the splitter

Regular splitters, if that's what you have, do not work with satellite signals. Do you know what type of LNB you have? If it's a DPP (Dish Pro Plus) type, you do not need a switch at all, just a line from the sat to each receiver's separator. Once connected, you'll need to do a switch test: Menu 6 1 1 Check Switch. Have you done this test yet?

There are two things often confused with being a splitter. One that has already been mentioned is the "seperator" which is used right behind the reciever. It has what it is printed on it. The single side of the seperator connects to the cable leading to the dish. The other two sides connect to input 1 and input 2 ports in the back of the reciever.
The other item confused with a splitter is a diplexer. This allows the output from the TV2 port on the back of the receiver to travel back through the primary cable coming in. It runs through the cable to another diplexer somewhere, and there it exits to a cable going to TV2....clear as mud, right?
Look at the "splitter" in question and read the lettering on it. You may see the single side port called "in/out," and on the other side one port may say "VHF/UHF" and the other "SAT." If it reads similar to that, it is a diplexer.
Here is the basic hookup using diplexers (2.)
The cable coming from the dish will at some point connect to the SAT port of a diplexer. It may be outside, in an attic, or in a basement. From this diplexer, a cable from the UHF/VHF port will run to TV2, and a cable from the IN/OUT port will run to where the reciever is. Now, in the room where the receiver is, the able comes in and must connect to the IN/OUT port of another diplexer. From this diplexer, a short cable from the SAT port will screw into the single side of the seperator. Also on this diplexer, there is a short cable from the UHF/VHF port to the TV2 (home dist) port on the back of the receiver.

Good news and bad news I got one reciever to work. When I hook up my second recevier my first reciever says acquiring sat signal. As soon as I unhook the second reciever my first box comes back on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts