"Release NFL Sunday Ticket to cable operator's then we'll talk".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lee78221

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Satellite TV: Broaden SportsNet

Two networks have leverage in their latest Comcast battle.

By Tony Gnoffo

Inquirer Staff Writer

Satellite television networks DishNetwork and DirecTV are trying once again to liberate Comcast's SportsNet channel.

Comcast Corp. has long refused to sell rights to its regional sports channel to satellite competitors, much to the consternation of Philadelphia sports fans who don't want to subscribe to Comcast.

There's little reason for Comcast to share: The Philadelphia cable company gets a competitive advantage from its exclusive use of the channel - which carries most home games of the Phillies, Sixers and Flyers. And federal rules that would otherwise require Comcast to share the channel don't apply to SportsNet because of a technical loophole.

But now the satellite firms have a bit of leverage. The Federal Communications Commission is considering whether to approve the proposed purchase of bankrupt cable operator Adelphia Communications Inc. by Comcast and Time Warner Inc.

The commission asked interested parties to comment on the deal; in their comments, the satellite firms suggested that, as a condition of approval, Comcast should be required to make SportsNet available to them.

Of course, that's not likely to happen, said David Cohen, the Comcast executive vice president who oversees the company's legal and regulatory affairs.

"An observation that is frequently made," he said, "is that, when the FCC asks for comments on a major media merger, it provides an opportunity for anyone to come out of the woodwork and air whatever grievances they think are active."

Cohen thinks this issue died long ago. The FCC has several times upheld the so-called terrestrial loophole, which allows Comcast to keep SportsNet to itself.

The loophole works like this: A television channel doesn't have to make its shows available to satellite companies if it does not use satellites to transmit its programs from one place to another - say from the Wachovia Center to the SportsNet control room.

SportsNet fits the bill, and takes full advantage of the exception.

The exception was created, Cohen said, to encourage investment in local programming. It meant that Comcast, after it bought the old Prism local sports and entertainment channel, could invest in and improve the channel knowing that it alone would enjoy the eventual benefit of that investment.

EchoStar Communications Corp., the company that owns DishNetwork, argues that this case is different. Citing the commission's previous refusals to alter the exception, EchoStar said the size of the proposed acquisition "raises substantially greater risks of anticompetitive conduct."

DirecTV, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., has exclusive programming of its own: a weekly package of pro football games called the NFL Sunday Ticket.

"When DirecTV is ready to talk about releasing NFL Sunday Ticket" to cable operators, Cohen said, "we'll be happy to talk to them about SportsNet."

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/business/personal_finance/12221552.htm

lee78221 said:
"When DirecTV is ready to talk about releasing NFL Sunday Ticket" to cable operators, Cohen said, "we'll be happy to talk to them about SportsNet."

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/business/personal_finance/12221552.htm
The only problem with this statement is the fact that Comcast "owns" SportsNet" Directv doesn't "own" the NFL Sunday Ticket! The NFL does and they agreed to give Directv exclusive rights! So Cohen has no justification in this matter! :no I'll bet he wouldn't act like a spoiled brat if NewsCorp decides he couldn't have access to FoxSport Net and Fox Sports! :smug

They are BOTH acting like greedy little bastards.....the NFL and Comcast. Philadelphians WITHOUT Comcast lose and so does ANYONE without NFL Ticket through D*.

These "exclusives" (aka monopolies) will only continue to grow and complicate our lives IMO; the merger of programmers and providers will also continue. Pretty soon we will have to subscribe to D* for NFL ST, E* for HD, Cable/Verizon for RSNs, etc. Ugh! Anyway, look on the bright side...we can watch the Home Shopping Network and reruns of *MASH* from multiple providers...and have the privilege of paying for them too. :rolleyes:

I think its just plain funny taht Comcast wants directv to pay to get out of a contract for something they dont own. That contract will eventually run out and then it will be decided whether it should be renewed or not... Comcast may be terrestrial only but once they buy adelphia wouldnt they have to link via the sat?

Can you imagine the day, way into the future, where everyone gets all the channels in the world, from 1 supplier, and there's no more of this "You can have this, this and this, but not this, that or the other thing" nonsense...

Don't they get that we don't want to have to choose between which sports we watch, and won't make a decision based on which sports we can watch, but it would be so incredibly nice if we could have any sports channel we wanted without a huge hassle...It's the year 2005, let's start acting like it...

Purogamer said:
Can you imagine the day, way into the future, where everyone gets all the channels in the world, from 1 supplier, and there's no more of this "You can have this, this and this, but not this, that or the other thing" nonsense...

Don't they get that we don't want to have to choose between which sports we watch, and won't make a decision based on which sports we can watch, but it would be so incredibly nice if we could have any sports channel we wanted without a huge hassle...It's the year 2005, let's start acting like it...

but then that one place that provides anything can charge you whatever they want....we don't want that. Choices are always a good thing, but with choices there will never be any one choice that is perfect.

This is silly. Sunday Ticket and the ability to broadcast RSN's into their own markets are two entirely different animals. I am assuming, Sportsnet is not available on Dish either? Last time I checked Dish Network did not have Sunday Ticket either. Comcast and Cablevision stink. There is a reason I went back to satellite.

I think it is time the FCC steps in and does their job. They need to put a stop to this and monitor any other monopolies that might occur by D*, E* and the cable systems.

Comcast already has horrible service and employees. This doesn't surprise me one bit that they are whining.

Purogamer said:

You could have all of this come true and people would still complain.

And......give up the Sunday Ticket for something that Comcast has? Nah, the NFL ST rules. Keep your RSN Comcast.

DobyMax said:
And......give up the Sunday Ticket for something that Comcast has? Nah, the NFL ST rules. Keep your RSN Comcast.

Maybe if cable companies and E* were able to sell ST, the price wouldn't be so high, and the price increases wouldn't be so high every year. I don't think any cable or satellite outfit should have sole rights on any programing. Competition brings prices down, monopolies don't.

I think the NFL is not very smart in limiting ST to only D*. There are millions of other potential customers out there with E* and the cable companies. I know of 6 people in my neighborhood that had ST last year and 4 have dropped it. My cost of living income was a lot less than their inflated price increase from last year. :down

NFL also started the "let's give one company exclusivity to our video game likeness" as well, which is also a terrible move on their part.

It does take two to tango, but you'll never see all the tv companies say "Hey NFL, instead of exclusivity, we refuse to pay you anything unless you let us all have it equally", so this will go on for years until D* loses it and someone else gets it exclusively...

already there

a quick note so everyone knows, D* is carrying sportsnet,chicago,mid-atlantic, and west, the deal was consumated recently and D* is advertising availability

Purogamer said:
NFL also started the "let's give one company exclusivity to our video game likeness" as well, which is also a terrible move on their part.

It does take two to tango, but you'll never see all the tv companies say "Hey NFL, instead of exclusivity, we refuse to pay you anything unless you let us all have it equally", so this will go on for years until D* loses it and someone else gets it exclusively...

Yup, last year Sega's football game was $20, and EA was forced to sell Madden for the same price. Now that the NFL signed exclusive agreement with EA, Madden is back up to $50.

Same with NFL ST, I remember reading somewhere about price increases due to providing D* customers with exclusive rights to ST. Well, we'd rather have it cheaper than exclusively on D*...

lou_do said:
Maybe if cable companies and E* were able to sell ST, the price wouldn't be so high, and the price increases wouldn't be so high every year. I don't think any cable or satellite outfit should have sole rights on any programing. Competition brings prices down, monopolies don't.
But you are forgetting who the monopoly is here.

The NFL sets ALL broadcast packages to be exclusive. It is how they make their money. The NFL will receive $700-800 million from DirecTV this year for Sunday Ticket. If it weren't exclusive, the NFL wouldn't receive nearly this amount. You forget that every other sports package is a revenue share between the provider and the sports league. For every $1 spent by a consumer on the Extra Innings, Centre Ice, or League Pass package, half goes to the league and half goes to the multichannel provider. Sunday Ticket won't work this way.
I think the NFL is not very smart in limiting ST to only D*. There are millions of other potential customers out there with E* and the cable companies.
Sure. And if you can figure out how the NFL will make $700-$800 million a year on this package if it was offered to every multichannel provider, then you may have a case.

Can you have a monopoly on your own product? So does MLB have a mononpoly on theirs as well? I don't think the term monopoly applies in that way does it? Just b/c MBL and others don't market the same way the NFL does, doesn't make it a monopoly. Remember the NFL has put itself in a position to do this, it hasn't happened overnight. If you ask me, the NFL has every right to do what it is doing. It has a premium product that it can ask such a high amount for. If it didn't, it wouldn't be so high. Take a look at the NHL or MLS for example. NHL has no tv contract nationally and I do believe MLS pays certain networks to have their games shown. I may be wrong on that.

Apples and Oranges. If you McDonalds raises the price of BigMac, are we crying monopoly? We can get our own version at home, but we choose to pay for something else.

If I say Big Mac, you say McDonalds. It is the brand name of a hamburger.

If I say NFL, you say NFL. It is the only pro football around. The NFL is a monopoly in the pro football market. The NFL was declared a monopoly in the USFL v. NFL suit.

Yeah, I think thats a fairly weak argument since the NFL only had to pay about 3 bucks in damages.

Bottom line is the NFL asked a price, D* paid it. How can you blame the NFL?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)