Relocating a Hopper

N-Tence

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2018
Dayton Ohio
I have 2 Hopper 3’s and 1 Joey 3.0.

I’d like to switch the location of 1 H3 and Joey (Trade locations). I understand it’s not a simple as a plug and play. I spoke with dish and they want 70.00 for someone to move them because “they would need to reprogram everything to work properly”. Is this true or something I can do on my own?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

N4 Answers.

I was thinking about relocating our H3 with one of our two 4K-Js. So, will I also have to do anything other than just P & P?

It all depends on how they wired your Hopper 3s and Joey units. There should be lines coming from the dish into a DPH dual hub and three lines from that going to your Hopper 3s and Joey units. The Hopper 3s should be running off the legs labeled To Host/Adv Client and the Joey should be on the middle leg labeled To Client/HVN. Once you figure which Hopper is hooked up to which leg you should be able to switch them around at the hub to support switching locations. For LQQK it's a bit more complicated to do the switch since you have a pair of 4K joeys hooked up your system should be a DPH single hub which will have 1 line run to Hopper 3 and then another line that comes off the Client/HVN leg into a splitter which then runs to the 4K Joeys. You'll have to pull one of the lines from the splitter and switch it to the Host/Adv Client leg once you figure out which line supports which 4K Joey.

Keep in mind the following:
  • I'm taking best guesses as to how your systems are configured, there are other configuration possibilities depending on how your house is wired
  • If there is any RG-59 cabling that is being used to run the Joeys this will not work for the Hopper 3 units. You may get them to work temporarily but it will cause issues over time

Reactions: LQQK
It all depends on how they wired your Hopper 3s and Joey units. There should be lines coming from the dish into a DPH dual hub and three lines from that going to your Hopper 3s and Joey units. The Hopper 3s should be running off the legs labeled To Host/Adv Client and the Joey should be on the middle leg labeled To Client/HVN. Once you figure which Hopper is hooked up to which leg you should be able to switch them around at the hub to support switching locations. For LQQK it's a bit more complicated to do the switch since you have a pair of 4K joeys hooked up your system should be a DPH single hub which will have 1 line run to Hopper 3 and then another line that comes off the Client/HVN leg into a splitter which then runs to the 4K Joeys. You'll have to pull one of the lines from the splitter and switch it to the Host/Adv Client leg once you figure out which line supports which 4K Joey.

Keep in mind the following:
  • I'm taking best guesses as to how your systems are configured, there are other configuration possibilities depending on how your house is wired
  • If there is any RG-59 cabling that is being used to run the Joeys this will not work for the Hopper 3 units. You may get them to work temporarily but it will cause issues over time

Dual Hubs don't work with 2 Hopper 3's. Two Hopper 3's require a DPH42 switch.

Dual Hubs don't work with 2 Hopper 3's. Two Hopper 3's require a DPH42 switch.

I should clarify that a little. Dual hubs can be used after the DPH42 even though they aren't officially sanctioned by DISH. They can not however be used instead of a DPH42. For 2 Hopper 3's on a single dish you must have a DPH42.

The Hoppers are considered Hosts and the Joeys are Clients. If you look at the Hub/Hubs, you'll see outputs for Host and Clients. The Hoppers are directly connected to the Host ports on the Hub/Hubs. There MAY be a Tap in the circuit, so you can't just assume those lines are unimpeded from Hosts Ports to Hoppers, unless you can physically see the entire cable run. You would have to disconnect at the Hub/Hubs each line, 1 at a time, looking to see which one loses signal and mark that line for whichever receiver it's connected to. Then make the correct connects needed to relocate your receivers.

Now, compounding things, there may be splitters inline for the Joeys, which they can run off ov, but the Hoppers cannot work with Splitters. Only a tap

Reactions: LQQK and JSheridan
Here’s what I found. RG 6

A267A711-04A0-486A-96A1-CDE699E83749.jpeg

Reactions: HipKat

You can un-hook the client lines one at a time and see when the Joey you want to move loses audio and video. Then swap that wire with the Host wire and move the Hopper and the Joey and you should be good to go as long as there's no splitters or anything else in the new Hopper line.

You'll also have to re-program your remotes for the different TV's if they're different brands.

You can un-hook the client lines one at a time and see when the Joey you want to move loses audio and video. Then swap that wire with the Host wire and move the Hopper and the Joey and you should be good to go as long as there's no splitters or anything else in the new Hopper line.

You'll also have to re-program your remotes for the different TV's if they're different brands.

I figured it was simple as that but I wanted to check with The pros at this site before doing it. Thanks for helping very much appreciated.

So I moved or traded locations of a Joey 3.0 and a Hopper 3. Both locations have the same television/model/size/settings. I feel like the H3 picture is better than the J3. I thought this before the move and now I feel the same. Shouldn’t they be the same?

So I moved or traded locations of a Joey 3.0 and a Hopper 3. Both locations have the same television/model/size/settings. I feel like the H3 picture is better than the J3. I thought this before the move and now I feel the same. Shouldn’t they be the same?

Yes they should be the same on HD. The Hopper 3 will do 4K and the Joey 3 doesn't but that's only if you're using MultiView or watching a 4K channel.

The best setting for Video Resolution is usually 1080 on the Menu/Settings/TV page of the Joey.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts