Remembering the Philadelphia Spectrum

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Tonight, the 76ers decided to play a final ceremonial game at the Spectrum in Philly.

Unlike my thread on the Metrodome, this is about an arena that is remembered more fondly than negatively.

This arena has had some great sports moments and some legendary names.

I'm sure some of you guys have been to this old building once or twice. (I never saw a Sabres game in Philly, unfortunately)

I think you can say that about a lot of fans in the Northeast corridor, whether it's NYC, Philly, Boston or DC.

Philly fans once threw batteries at J.D. Drew.

Even when Clemens returned to Fenway as a Yankee, Beantown fans never threw batteries at him.

I spent 1986-1995 as a FLYERS season ticket holder in the Spectrum.You really didn't want to wear another team's jersey inside.You risked your personal safety in doing so.The fans molested the Easter Bunny,beat up Santas Claus and made the Dixie Land Jazz band that played during tv breaks quit ! It was also a loud place unlike our current home.You could actually fit the Spectrum inside the Wachovia Center.If you were a Flyers fan it was a fun place to goto !!!!

And by the way,the Spectrum's demolition has been postponed indefinitley due the economy.There is no word when it will come down or a hotel rising on it's current site.

I miss those sticky steps leading up to the 3rd deck of the Spectrum and hiking all the way down to the concourse and then down and up another set of stairs to rest rooms ! <lol>
And don't forget those obstructed view seats we had !

I have alot of great memories both in my early 20s....I have loved the 76ers since the World Be Free, Chocolate Thunder and Bobby Jones and of course, Julius EEERRRRRRVVVIIINNNGGGGG!
The when I was part of the Bulls coverage during their championship years, the great games between the '6ers and the Bulls.

As far as the fans are concerned, I thought the LEAST hostile of the Philly fans were the '6er fans.

Great memories indeed.....and a special thanks to the dad of my best man in my wedding, he use to be the part of the 76ers front office staff when it came to any legal matters...without him, I would have never seen my basketball idol, The Doctor, in person.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)