Remembering the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
The upcoming 2009 baseball season is, sadly, the last year the Twins will play at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, and a nation weeps. :D

OK, it's not exactly the farewell season for Yankee Stadium, but it is a big deal for:

1. Twins fans

2. People who complain about domes in baseball

I'm sure some of you guys have memories of this big, giant airbag of a place.

BillD, KCK, HD, Jimbo, Wozniak, Sandra- As fans of American League teams, I'll bet that you went to see your team play at least once or more than once against the Twins at the Metrodome (or, if you're really old-school, Metropolitan Stadium).

For all its faults, the Metrodome did have one advantage- incredble crowd noise. (See the 1987 and 1991 World Series).

Still, how will the Metrodome be remembered years from now?

As a visiting baseball team's worst nightmare...playoff time or not.

What irony- your Angels slayed the Metrodome playoff mystique in 2002.

After winning Game 1 of the ALCS, they never won another playoff game in the dome.

ugh. I'll be happy when the Twins move out of there. The place is a toilet (and this is coming FROM a Twins fan)

-the seats dont face the pitchers mound. They're setup for football. So when I get tickets down the right field line I have to turn my body to see the mound. Sitting straight you see the right fielder. Even when I bought tickets right up from the 1st baseman I see.....the 1st baseman. Need to turn there too. Usually I buy a ticket in the upper deck outfield. Then I can see the field :)
-The hefty bag.....nuff said
-seats that are ROCK HARD...not good on the old hind end
-not enough crappers. I know this sounds goofy but sure there were no issues when there is 10000 people there. But get a packed house and you'll miss a 1/2 inning for sure...probably an inning going to take a leak. Long lines....and the mens room has troughs.
-right field is nice but you cant see the right fielder because you're up so high

I've seen plenty of Twins & Vikes games there and yeah its pretty good for football games because the seats actually are aimed at the field but I will be happy when they move outdoors. I never got to see a game at the Met (too young) but my stepdad tells me it was a great experience because it was outdoors. Sure some nights were cold or rainy but it sucks on a nice summer day to be INSIDE to see a game.

Last year when we had cold & snow in April they were like "uh oh what happens in 2 years when the new stadium opens?"....I think we'll make it through ;)

the positives......I guess if you drive from Duluth or Fargo or Watertown you know the games wouldnt get rained out
They'll still do these but those all day small college baseball games. Since there is snow here until April a lot of smaller college baseball teams will play there. So some days in February & March there will be baseball games from 6AM to after midnight. And its usually 5-7 bucks to get in no matter when you come or go :)

1991 kirbys homerun game 6 and the jack attack that followed game 7

I hate this place worst in baseball football sucks there too

went to all gopher football games there last yera as season tix holder
have season tixs for twins and made it to 2 games there last year

i dont think ill goto any twins home games till there outdoors

too bad soo sad to seee hhh go theres a reason its reffered to as a toilet
although ive always used the proper fadcilities when i go there

Bring on the outdoor stadiums and La take the god forsaken vikes already

not many memories of the dome

dome will always be remembered but not fondly here

I remember going in the mid 90's when the Twins truly were "rebuilding" and there would be 5000 people there. Buy a ticket for 4 bucks (upper deck GA)_ and slowly move around the place until you got behind home plate by the 3rd or 4th. They didnt care then :)

Considering dook won two NC's in that building they can blow it up for all I care. :mad: I was glad to see the RCA Dome go too. Lots of bad memories from that place. And if we're creating a demolition list may as well bring down the Alamodome too. :D

I will say the Superdome should be made a national landmark.

Not just UNC's national titles, but don't forget Carolina's ownage of the Saints.

Going by that logic, how about St. Louis' Edward Jones Dome?

steve_smith.jpg

RoyWilliams2.jpg

The Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome: How appropriate, a stadium with a roof held up by hot air, named after a politician.

Introducing "Target Field"
2010 Home of the Minnesota Twins

Finally, Twins fans will be able to breath fresh air again while taking in America's wonderful pastime.......

minbpk01.jpg

minbpk02.jpg

minbpk03.jpg

minbpk04.jpg

If I were a Twin fan, I'd be super excited to move into the new stadium.

The only place uglier has to be the home of the Tampa Bay Rays.

Yeah...Tropicana Field is just awful! I have gone to a few games there and it just not a pretty place....like an uglier Astrodome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)