Remembering the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome

Well...I never saw a game at the Metrodome, but if it's anything like the Pontiac Silverdome (which is probably is) than watching a baseball game would certainly suck. Heck, with the exception of watching Barry Sanders carry the ball, I really didn't like watching football in a "domed" venue. Anyway, I just wanted to mentioned that my uncle Ray took me on a trip to old Metropolitan stadium back in '70 or '71. Since he was retired, and I was a kid on summer break, we caught a game at old Comiskey Park and some pizza in downtown Chicago. The following day we drove up into Minnesota and caught a game at the Met. Overall, I enjoyed both parks (Comiskey reminded me of Tiger Stadium and the Met later reminded me of Baltimore's Memorial Stadium when I saw a game there in '82). We concluded our trip by spending 2 or 3 days visiting family in Northern Michigan. The only thing I would have changed about the trip is I wish I was older...not many people going to serve beer to a 7-year old, but I did get to play with BB rifles and pistols and I didn't shoot my eye out.:D

I never saw a game there, but when ever the tigers played a televised game, pop up fly balls would get lost and easy out lead to runs being scored

What was up with all the "baggies" in the outfield?

you mean in right field? That was to do two things
-cover the 9000 portable seats for football
-prevent "cheap" home runs. The first year or so there was no baggie and balls flew out of there. Its only 327 to right and like 350 to RC.

Here is the scary part...1st season there was NO A/C in the building...just air to keep the roof up :eek:
It gave up even more home runs before air conditioning was installed in 1983. Before 1983, the Dome had been nicknamed "the Sweat Box

These games were always fun to go to...those 11AM starts

The last month of Major League Baseball's regular season often included one or two Saturdays in which the Twins and Gophers used the Metrodome on the same day. On those occasions, the Twins game would start at about 11 AM local time (TV announcer Dick Bremer sometimes joked that the broadcast was competing with SpongeBob SquarePants)

I can't wait for Target Field to open and MLB schedules the Twins home opener in May to avoid having a lot of makeup DH's due to snow. ;)

We dont get a lot of snow in April. Maybe one storm at the beginning but that's it. The Twins probably wil spend the 1st week to week and half on the road to help with that

Oh and Target getting the rights made for a good joke. Why do I have a feeling the Twins will take advantage of their slogan which is "get more pay less" ;)

So they move from the "big inflatable toilet" to "the discount centre II" (Target Center they call the big discount centre). :)

Went to 1 game there, mid 90's exhibition game between the Cubs and Twins. My wife's cousin produced the in-house video there & got us seats right in from if the baseball press box. Also got the tour behind the scenes. Later went back because he held his daughter bat mitzvah there. Got to play on the field for hours, 1 hopped a baseball to the left field fence!
He also did the road telecasts for the Twins & T-Wolves TV. He passed away in 2004. He was a die hard Minnesota fan & would have loved to see the new ballpark.

I was at that dump back when I was young, got sick to my stomach and told my father I have to leave, they were doing some construction, only visit and it was quite the memory.

We dont get a lot of snow in April. Maybe one storm at the beginning but that's it. The Twins probably wil spend the 1st week to week and half on the road to help with that

Oh and Target getting the rights made for a good joke. Why do I have a feeling the Twins will take advantage of their slogan which is "get more pay less" ;)

So they move from the "big inflatable toilet" to "the discount centre II" (Target Center they call the big discount centre). :)

Unfortunately, that's the way it is today. Everything corporate. It's like that everywhere. The days of the Mom and Pop store or operation is over. Mom and Pop moved to Florida, I guess and now big business is taking over. Don't feel bad though. At least your stadium isn't called "Citi Field" especially now.

No offense, But i will remember it is a bid dump. watched BB and FB there and enjoyed neither.
They should play outside in MN. I say good riddance.

I'll remember the struggles of the Brewers, Packers, and the Wisconsin football team there. For years it didn't seem like any of them could win in the stupid Twinkie-Dome. Never attended a game there. From the sound of it, not missing much. Baseball indoors doesn't have to be bad. Miller Park is a nice place to see a game. I think somebody mentioned it before about the Metrodome, the good thing is you can make plans to see a game and know it will be played. Important if it's a 3 hour drive. Fans from outside the Twin Cities area might miss that.

MIN_80952152_580.jpg

I for one will not miss the "Big inflatable toilet". That place is the worst place to see baseball. I was fortunate to see Metropolitan Stadium in 1980 during Brett's push to .400. I can't wait to go to the Target Field. I especially will be looking forward to taking my son to a game outdoors where it belongs. He is only 3 months old so he will never see that dump on then TV this year.

My memories consist of what many others have said 1991 game 6 and 7. Hard to pass on 1987 game 7.

Have any of you seen the new Target commercial with Christina Aguilera dressed as a Red Super Hero? It was aired during the Grammy's.

If that's Minnesota's new mascot, all I got to say is waa-waaa-weee-waaa! :eek::D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)