Remembering when you went to old stadiums/arenas that aren't around anymore

Arlington Stadium - I went there with my dad as a kid growing up watching my Texas Rangers. It was a neat stadium, as it sat in a natural bowl.

Reunion Arena - Saw the Dallas Stars during their inaugural season in Dallas, in late 1993.

Texas Stadium - Didn't see a single Cowboys game, but saw quite a bit high school football playoff games that were exciting. :)

Three Rivers Stadium- I saw a lot of Pirates games and a few Steelers game, I saw one playoff game against the Braves, the Pirates won:D, but everything else was just normal games.

I love PNC Park, but never been to Heinz Field yet, not lucky enough to get tickets.

In two years I'll be able to add the Civic Arena/Mellon Arena to the list when the new arena is done.

I saw a ton of events their, from Pens games, concerts, wrestling, monster truck events, the circus, ice capades and Disney on ice.

I will be happy when the new arena is built, while I grew up with the Civic Arena, you can tell it's gonna fall apart.

Being of a certain vintage and a Packer fan, I misss the following football venues...

The Met in Minneapolis
Tiger Stadium in Detroit
and the "Original" Soldier Field.

The NFL Central Division, where real men played the game. Subzero temps, Rain, Heat, Mud, Snow, wind. Where the fans were as tough as the men who played the game.

Now, Wimps in Detroit and Minneapolis, the Bears are the Bears, and now they play in a bedpan. Pretty apropo don't you think?

I've sat on those aluminum bleachers at Lambeau when it's below zero, 98 degrees, during a blizzard watching Steve Young getting face wash after face wash. Downpouring rain watching the Pack mop up the field with the 49ers on a cold January day.

While both the Met and Tiger stadiums needed to go, at least they could have built new open air stadiums.

The only stadium I remember going to that has disappeared is Wrigley Field in Los Angeles. Before the Dodgers moved to LA our baseball team was the Los Angeles Angels, a Cubs farm team in the Pacific Coast League. The stadium was modeled after Wrigley Field in Chicago, complete with ivy-covered walls in the outfield and huge support beams blocking the view of many fans (me included :(). My most memorable game there was only memorable because of the temperature that July day---118! If our seats hadn't been in the shade I would have died.

Another missing venue is Gilmore Field, the home of our other baseball team pre-Dodgers---the Hollywood Stars. I occasionally pass by the site of the old place, but never saw a game there. The structure is long gone.

I have spent many happy hours in the Los Angeles Colisseum, the Big A (Anaheim Stadium), and Dodger Stadium. All are still in use but aging. It is especially sad to see how Dodger Stadium has gone downhill since the O'Malley's sold out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)