Remote Access

sbturner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
Georgia
I am having a major issue with remote access. I have a 722K, and two 622s. I have a linksys B router and have the router plugged into a home network and use the homeplugs in the receivers to hook up to the internet. Receivers say they are online but when I log into the account on the internet it says they are not most of the time. Sometimes it will show them online but I can never set a timer, it always goes error timed out. Has anyone else had this problem, I would really liked to get this worked out before I get a 922 next year.

I am having a major issue with remote access. I have a 722K, and two 622s. I have a linksys B router and have the router plugged into a home network and use the homeplugs in the receivers to hook up to the internet. Receivers say they are online but when I log into the account on the internet it says they are not most of the time. Sometimes it will show them online but I can never set a timer, it always goes error timed out. Has anyone else had this problem, I would really liked to get this worked out before I get a 922 next year.

Try removing all the boxes from the the network. Then plug one box in and start from scratch and set it up for remote access. Once you know that box is working do the next, and so on. Not sure what you mean by "homeplug" in the receiver, unless you mean the ethernet port. The other thought is do you have any type of fire wall set up? Depending on the type and the settings this could cause some problems. For example I use a Linux Firewall Solution called smoothwall express. I had to add the IP for the box to what is called an "always allowed" setting so that the box could access the internet.

Good Luck

Ross

What I mean by homeplug is my network is set up by plugging an ethernet cable into a box that plugs into an outlet from the router. What this does is makes all electical outlets live for the internet if you have a receiver at the outlet. These Dish receivers have what is called homeplug, so when you plug them into the wall outlet they are plugged into the internet. I am not using the ethernet connection. How do I check the firewall and what setting should it be on?

Remote access seems like it has been very flakey lately. I can't get it to work at all currently. I've done everything: Reset my router and cable modem, restarted my 722K (via button and cord-pull), reset connection in the 722k network setup, went through the whole web activation process. It just won't work! Tried different computers at home and work, tried sling and safari on my iPhone... BTW, my connection to the internet seems fine, because I can download dishonline stuff, and I can see the 722K at work via my slingbox.

Is it working for anybody right now, or is it elfed up on dish's end??? It used to work fine!!

Guys, please post whether or not it is working for you!

Well at least I'm not the only one...

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what happened to my remote access, which has worked flawlessly for me since the days when it was in beta.

I have a 722k and a 622. First the 722k was inaccessible (started about 5 days ago), but now both receivers are inaccessible via remote access. Both receivers say they are "Connected online", I'm able to ping them on my network, diagnostics on the receivers say the broadband connection is "OK", I've reset both receivers and my router, but it still will not connect to them on the remote access site.

Very frustrating...

It would be nice to know what the heck is going on. Isn't it funny that they are touting the new remote access ability for non-VIP DVR receivers, when it seems like it doesn't work AT ALL now? It was actually pretty impressive when it worked—it almost seemed too slicked and polished to be from Dish.

Hopefully they get it woking again "soon".

I used remote access yesterday and went through both my 622 and 722 scheduled recordings and deleted a few things I didn't want. I just tried it right now and connected to both receivers again. So, it's working for me.

If you are still trying to use the old site, the word was it was going away "soon," so I stopped using it at least a few weeks ago. I now go through my account at www.dishnetwork.com.

Stopped working on my 722 also. Had been working fine.

I've tried logging in the new way via dishnetwork.com but it doesn't work that way either. Very annoying... I used remote access all the time.

Reset everything again. Still nothing here. Called Dish and they are absolutely clueless. He asked me if I have my receiver connected to the internet. Then he told me that it must be a problem with my ISP. He said that he didn't see anything that indicated that they were having any problems on their end.

Surprised?

What I mean by homeplug is my network is set up by plugging an ethernet cable into a box that plugs into an outlet from the router. What this does is makes all electical outlets live for the internet if you have a receiver at the outlet. These Dish receivers have what is called homeplug, so when you plug them into the wall outlet they are plugged into the internet. I am not using the ethernet connection. How do I check the firewall and what setting should it be on?

At first I was going to suggest that it might be the homeplug setup that is causing your prolem but reading posts after yours I'm not so sure. However the first thing I would do is plug your receiver into a regular ethernet connection, if possible and see if you can access the remote access. If so than I would say it is the home plug set up. As far s your firewall is concerned I can't say for sure what the settings should be as I don't know what you have. If yo have a firewall built into your router then yo uwould access it through your PC and make any necessary settings adjustments there. I only know about the firewall solution that I use.

Ross

I think it's safe to say that Dish is having issues with Remote Access that have nothing to do with end users' firewall settings, routers, ISP, or homeplug.

The question is, how many cases do we have to bring to their attention before they stop claiming they know nothing of any problem so it must be the end user's fault?

I think it's safe to say that Dish is having issues with Remote Access that have nothing to do with end users' firewall settings, routers, ISP, or homeplug.

The question is, how many cases do we have to bring to their attention before they stop claiming they know nothing of any problem so it must be the end user's fault?

Exactly! I sent them an email yesterday. If they bother to respond with any useful information, I'll post it.

Used to work with my homeplug all the time hasn't worked for at least 2 weeks now....vip622 and 612. It did work for one day though and I was able to acces all of my recordings on my external hard drive as well as my receiver. Then after that never was able to access it at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts