remote changing?

jaupro

Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
hey all. I have a slingbox. you may or may not have heard of it. if you havent its a device that takes ur signal from ur cable/sattelite and broadcasts it on the net, and you can watch your TV from anywhere you have internet. Now I had cable in the past, so the version of box I have is the tuner one. u just plug the coax in the back and it works. and you can change the frequency the slingbox is recieving so that it changes your channel. I have a dual tuner HD DVR with dish network now. I have the secondary TV view..so i do have the UHF coax line. I hook it into the back of the slingbox, and have the slingbox set to channel 73, which is the frequency TV 2 is setup to output on.. so yay it works! and im in germany on vacation for the month...problem is to change the channel i have to call_text my mom and ask her to change the channel on the box. what I wanna know is does anyone know anyway you can control your box remotely? like on the internet?? again remember cant add anything to the box right now..im in germany.. please help me. thanx for any advice you all give me.
-Jon

BTW incase anyone is curious why i didnt just put the primary box in my room..buy the AV slingbox..and hook it up that way? cause im sure someone will ask. a few reason. the AV version is 250 bucks. another is my step-dad needs the main box downstairs for the surround sound. and i also coulnt hook the slingbox downstairs, because itd be like impossible to tap it into the router that way. ok any advice anyone? thanx

Your Slingbox is probably tring to send IR to change the channels. The 2nd tv on the dual tuners is UHF. You would have to figure out a way to convert that IR to UHF.

Nope, that's backwards. That converts UHF to IR. He needs to convert IR to UHF.

If such a device existed it would make a lot of people happy. The only way I can think of for IR control of a UHF receiver involves IR triggered relays, opening a UHF remote up, and a soldering iron.