Remote code to turn off Onkyo TX-SR606

bebop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Idaho
Anyone know a Dish Network remote code that works to turn off an Onkyo AV receiver (model TX-SR606)?

My remote is a 5.3 IR for TV1 and I got it to work to turn ON the AV receiver and adjust the volume, but I can't get it to work turning OFF the AV receiver.

I'd even be interested in purchasing a different Dish Network remote (perhaps the 21.0 IR/UHF) if there are no options for that remote. I just don't know which one to look into if this one can't even work.

Any ideas?

The select button on the remote doesn't do anything to my Onkyo receiver in AUX mode. I don't know if it is supposed to.

I've tried all the ones listed in my user manual under Onkyo (using a '2' before the following codes): 642 (current code being used), 660, 662, 678.

Apparently the users manual that comes with the ViP722 doesn't have as up to date codes as the 21.0 remote users manual. On a hunch, I looked up the codes here:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/user_guides_and_manuals/2-Way%20Remote%20Control_21.0_Remote_User_Guide/RemoteControlModel21Manual.pdf

Page 26 of the manual itself (page 38 of the pdf) listed 788 among others to try for Onkyo receivers.

Code 788 works the best. I'm able to turn off the AV receiver, use the menu button, and cycle through all the inputs on it using the 'Select' button.

Hope this helps someone else out there who has an Onkyo receiver (or other brand for that matter) and can look on the above link for some more codes that aren't published with the standard remote manual. There are many more codes on that list than what comes with the ViP receiver itself.

At least I'll be able to turn off my AV receiver with the same remote that I use for everything else.

That's good to know, will it allow you to switch listening modes and adjust the audio (bass treble..etc..)? . I finally broke down and bought a Harmony 880 remote. I use it to control my 52" Sony - Vip722 - Onkyo TX-SR607 and Sony Bluray.
It is really nice when you can turn on and off multiple devices with the touch of one button.

With the 788 code, it appears cumbersome to switch listening modes if you wanted to (not worth trying). I don't do that anyway on the Satellite.

I also don't adjust the bass/treble with a remote - didn't think you could. Maybe with a different code that option would become available. There are more listed - I just wanted to be able to turn it off and it's nice to change inputs now, especially since I use the remote for the DVD player too.

How much was the Harmony 880 remote? It would be nice to have (especially as a gift), but I've got better things to save up for. For reference: I think I paid as much for my SR606 as is the list price for the Harmony 880.

I found an old thread that referenced the 788 code, but not much mention of other codes, so my guess is that is the best one for Onkyo.

Check Amazon...I think I paid around $90 using a discount code a few months ago. They are listed anywhere from $120 and up now. It really is nice when you have multiple devices.
For instance when I hit the watch tv button it turns on the tv - receiver (sat mode) - and 722. I control the volume on the Onkyo from the remote and most of the 722 features can be worked from the remote, even the dvr.
If I want to watch bluray then hit the watch dvd and it turns on the tv - receiver (dvd mode) - and bluray player.
If I want to play x-box360 then it turns on the tv - receiver (game mode) - I have to turn the xbox on myself...no IR ;)
When shutting down it also requires only one button to turn off all devices.

I actually have an extra 21.0 remote lying around....I may play with it this weekend and see how it works with my setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)