Remote control compatibility question

This varies widely from model to model. My 508 is pretty much toast and I disconnected it before deactivating it. It will tune a handful of "channels" but the recorded content cannot be accessed.
Interesting. I have used various models over the years, and I never ran into that problem. I currently have a 501, 512, ViP211, ViP211k, and ViP722k, and they all still work when they are deactivated. Note: I never had the ViP211's activated as DVR's.

In hindsight I should of showed them the email from Dish saying I could keep the receiver. I didn't even think that it still might access some programming or my recorded shows, it would of been worth it to keep it and try, Oh well....live and learn I guess.

Interesting. I have used various models over the years, and I never ran into that problem.
It did the same thing when it was disconnected and still active on the account. No pay channels and no access to DVR content (and the 508 was a no-fee DVR at the time).

It did the same thing when it was disconnected and still active on the account. No pay channels and no access to DVR content (and the 508 was a no-fee DVR at the time).
If you leave any receiver disconnected long enough, it will completely lose its authorization. The key is to keep the receiver continuously connected to a satellite signal and AC power, or at least limit the length of time you leave it disconnected.

If you leave any receiver disconnected long enough, it will completely lose its authorization. The key is to keep the receiver continuously connected to a satellite signal and AC power, or at least limit the length of time you leave it disconnected.
If it gets signal, will it not get a disable signal?

If it gets signal, will it not get a disable signal?
Not in my experience. Only leaving the receiver disconnected completely deactivates it for free previews. I am only using purchased receivers, so perhaps that makes a difference. I had a leased receiver that immediately lost access to free previews when I deactivated it, but the OTA and DVR recordings continued to function.

And if you connect it back up with about a week or so it will reauthorize for the free previews.