Remote Control Conflict Clarification

Tony Trent

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
I know this is an old subject, but I did several searches and couldn't find it. Does changing the Remote Address for the Satellite Receiver change just the IR, just the UHF, or Both?? I now have a 721 and a 6000 (both UHF) sitting next to each other and I am trying to get them to behave by trying combinations of removing UHF antenna/antennas, taping over IR port/Ports, changing addresses, etc. So far I have failed. Either remote control both receivers, no matter what I try. I Want to use both remotes (that way my wife only has to worry about the Silver 721 remote). I will use the black 6000 remote when I want to watch HDTV. She has sworn off HDTV because "it doesn't look any better and it's too complicated". Please help with any info you have. I know Scott probably has a dozen receivers he is testing and probably knows all the tricks.

Tony,

I was looking for my receiver manual but I could not find it. I am in the middle of painting right now. Here is an initial star that I found in another forum.

Change the remote code

(1) Turn off the receiver you are not programming the code into. I will disconnect it until I change the other receiver.
(2) Leave the other on and Press System Info Button, hold down satellite button until tv/vcr/auz buttons light up at the same time then release the SAT button.

(3) Press another number other than 1 (factory default).

(4) After you do that press the pound button (#).

(5) now turn on or connect the other receiver.

it should work fine.

motjes2 said:
Tony,

I was looking for my receiver manual but I could not find it. I am in the middle of painting right now. Here is an initial star that I found in another forum.

Change the remote code

(1) Turn off the receiver you are not programming the code into. I will disconnect it until I change the other receiver.
(2) Leave the other on and Press System Info Button, hold down satellite button until tv/vcr/auz buttons light up at the same time then release the SAT button.

(3) Press another number other than 1 (factory default).

(4) After you do that press the pound button (#).

(5) now turn on or connect the other receiver.

it should work fine.

A step was missed. after step 4 press the record button.

Yes it will change both IR and UHF.

Even if you turn the other receiver off it will still display the system information when you press the "system info" button. What will help prevent you from having the system info screen coming up on both receivers (in which would cause both codes to be changed at the same time when you only want one to be changed) would be to either unplug the one you do not want to change or make sure you turn one off and the one that is on access the system information by going into the menu to do it so that the other receiver will not get the command to go to the system information screen while changing the remote address (>MENU >6 >1 >3) and after your done just hit the VIEW button to get back to the show you was watching.

Kevin, you solved the problem with your advice. I wasn't hitting the "record" button while the "System Info" screen was still up. So it wasn't saving the new address. Now everything works great. No problems. Thanks to all of you who helped!