Remote Control Design issue/help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohawkspa

Original poster
Oct 16, 2004
I can not seem to find an answer to this problem here on on Google.. here goes.. I have a HD TV, HD settop, and suround sound system. I want/need a remote that lets me define what the vol up/down controls. ALL my settop box remotes in the settop mode, auto shifts to TV when I push the vol up/down button.. WHY can't someone design a remote for the settop box that lets the user define what the vol button controls? Now I have to push a mode button that goes from sat to tv to vcr to dvd and then AUX so I can manage the sound level.. and then another mode button push back to sat to change channels :mad: This is so annoying! Any suggestions? I have a Samsung TS360 settop box.

Well, my Phillips ProntoPro NG lets me assign any function of any device to any key in any mode. It is extremely customizable. Of course it also has a fairly high price tag.

Take a look at Remote Central. There are a lot of helpful people there and many resources that can help you find the right remote for you.

Here are some screen shots showing the new design I'm working on for my ProntoPro NG

Attachments

• 41712111.jpg
    41712111.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 184
  • 41712518b.jpg
    41712518b.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 41712518.jpg
    41712518.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 183
I was looking for a color display remote like the Pronto TSU-7000. (MSRP $~700.00)

So I just bought a HP iPAQ 3950 (PDA like a Palm Pilot) (Sub$200 range)

It comes with Nevo already installed. It can auto-learn any IR remote command and you can download command sets from mynevo.com.

There seems to be some discussion about control distance. I don't know about that yet. I will find out when I get mine and get it set up. I am only 8 feet from my components, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

As K.R. stated, RemoteCentral is the difinitive place to go for the 411 on remotes.

Umm, no need to spend $200 on a remote. ONEFORALL has your answer. I have a urc 7200 (discontinued) bought it for $15. Runs anything and has macros so i can turn all my equipment on or off all with pressing one button. It also has the move volume control. When i press vol it turns my JVC reciever up or down. You could also move the vol to cable box, vcr or whatever your volume is run off of.

Mark, I have an iPaq 36xx (the last 2 numbers just designate the options packaged with it). I've had it for 3 years and love it. I put Linux on it of course (http://www.handhelds.org) along with many game system emulators.

I should warn you though, what you've read about range is probably true. My 3600, at least, never got much more than 3 or 4 feet. I don't know if they used a more powerful IR LED in the 3900. But if all else fails you've got yourself a Linux capable MP3 player/GameBoy emulator/Arcade game (MAME) emulator/Atari 2600 emulator/etc. :)

I just got my iPaq today with a 512 SD card included and Pocket something 2003.

It took me 5 minutes to set up my Dish Network 921 DVR, Harmon/Kardon AVR 7200, Zenith DVB318, and Hitachi 57S500.

The only issue I had is that Harmon Kardon had a unique Power off code which the iPaq learned directly from the HK remote. *SWEET!*.

Then I took it into the bedroom and programmed in my Phillips-Magnavox TV, Optimus Audio amp, and Dish 522 DVR.

Pros: Color screen, full custom favorites/icons. Next I think I am going to get an 802.11b card for it, so I can sit at the TV and if I see something interesting I can check it out instantly on my new remote. Or post helpful info to SatelliteGuys.us FTA forum directly from my livingroom couch. :D :D :D

Cons: Range: I noticed that the 522 can be controlled up to about 12 feet. The other equipment is at about 6-8 feet. The Phillips TV is the worst at 4-5 feet.

I was wondering how hard it would be to disassemble the iPAQ and put in a different (higher output) IR diode? :confused:

I don't know where I would get what looks like a 1.3 or 1.5 or 2 mm TORX bit. Hmm...

Mark, glad you got everything set up.

Mine came with a CompactFlash jacket so I interchange my CF cards from my digital camera with it. I also bought the PCMCIA single-slot jacket (which includes a second battery :)) and in that jacket I've successfully used my Ethernet card and my 802.11b card. There are CF versions of both Ethernet and 802.11b. With 802.11b you also have one of the world's best 'wardriving' tools. I don't like that word, wardriving, I just call it exploring. No hacking, just getting a feel for who's got 802.11. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)