Remote Control problem with Manhattan

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bruin95

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Sin City
I just purchased the Manhattan receiver after my Openbox bit the dust in less than year. Software is the same, so I didn't really have to learn a new receiver, which is a plus. The problem I'm having is with the remote control. I can't get it to do anything without being about a foot from the receiver. Even then, I sometimes have to push buttons several times in order for it to work. This becomes frustrating really fast. I've put four different sets of fresh batteries in with the same results. I contacted the guy who sold me the receiver and he stated that there is a known problem with the receiver in regards to the IR sensor being jammed by certain TV's. He suggested moving the receiver away from the TV. It didn't help. I don't seem to recall anyone complaining about this issue and am wondering if I just have a bad remote. Has anyone with the Manhattan come across this problem? If so, what did you do to fix it? Would an IR blaster help? If I can't solve this issue, I'm probably going to have to return the receiver and look for something else.

Actually got the remote control working by pulling the receiver out and letting it sit on the edge of the TV stand. The front panel is facing down, touching the floor. Looks stupid, but hey it works!

I'm quickly finding out that the blind scan on this thing, how can I put this delicately, SUCKS! Misses a lot, and I mean A LOT of channels. The only way I can get them is to manually scan each individual TP. I may still return this for something else.

if you still had the openbox remote you could hack the manhattan firmware to use the openbox remote instead.I did that when I was playing with the manhattan firmware on my s10.

xtgold
Can you please explain me what did you do to install a Openbox firmware in the Manhattan?? I will love to have my Manhattan to get the Network Setup feature. I know it can be done but i havent found a way to do it Thanks

I did the reverse,manhattan on openbox.
Tuner didn't work and other woes.
There was a hacked firmware based on a euro receiver,but it's pal only no ntsc and the tuner didn't work on s10.
s9 owners claimed it worked,but it had the same symptoms as old solomend firmware on an s10,dead tuner.
It had some interesting features,like changing the mac address to whatever you want and wifi support.

Last edited:
if you still had the openbox remote you could hack the manhattan firmware to use the openbox remote instead.I did that when I was playing with the manhattan firmware on my s10.

From what I'm hearing, the problem is not really the remote, but the IR sensor in the receiver. Certain plasma TV's jam the signal. Having the receiver point down to the ground solved the problem. How? I have no idea.

From what I'm hearing, the problem is not really the remote, but the IR sensor in the receiver. Certain plasma TV's jam the signal. Having the receiver point down to the ground solved the problem. How? I have no idea.
changing the remote code in firmware would test to see if it's code related.manhattan vs openbox.

its the sensor and yes certain older HDTV's jam the signal. Mine is outside the entertainment center and at an angle about 12 inches from the entertainment center. I use to have e-mails from Jeff at Manhattan about it but cleaning up my inbox they got nuked

Try placing a piece of clean white paper in front of the sensor on the receiver. It acts as a filter and will reject the infrared coming from the plasma screen while still letting the remote control signals though.

Try placing a piece of clean white paper in front of the sensor on the receiver. It acts as a filter and will reject the infrared coming from the plasma screen while still letting the remote control signals though.

No go. I'll just have to stick with the way I have it now, with the front panel tilted toward the ground. I don't really need to see the front panel display, so it's not that big of a deal. At least it works now.

I had a situation recently where a remote "extender" of the old variety (uses phone lines and distributes SD video) seems to interfere with one of my satellite receiver remotes, almost like the wired repeater's originating box had an infrared emission blocking the remote from working for a certain satellite receiver.

I recently got rid of the device (receiver) that was being adversely affected, but had wondered more and more if a "remote extender" of the variety sold at skyvision might work in cases like you folks described here... (add this to your original remote making it RF, then the "eye" of the repeater/receiver goes VERY near the receiving LED on the satellite receiver so nothing can interfere.) Might be a pricey way to fix it, but....who knows!

Just a thought!

Skyvision Satellite Equipment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)