Remote Controller with Purchased Joey

Dave_Sat

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
May 18, 2011
Bend, OR
Anyone have experience purchasing a Joey rather than the standard lease? If so do they generally come with a remote or would that have to be purchased separately?

Some background, I currently have a setup with a 722k that TV1 is a main living room setup, TV2 is connected to a guest bedroom, and a third tv is mirrored over component video. I also have a 211k w/EHD set up in bedroom for DVR functionality. I'm strongly considering moving to the Hopper w/Sling, mostly to gain the extra functionality of offline viewing on a tablet on airplanes, but also because the guest bedroom control has never worked well, and the 211k can be laggy at at times. So I'd get the Hopper w/Sling to replace the 722k, and a Joey/SuperJoey for the bedroom. But as the guest bedroom doesn't get used often it makes little sense to pay a programming fee for a second Joey unless I know someone's visiting. This leads me to believe purchasing a Joey is the way to go for that room. As an additional question does anyone have much experience in purchasing used Dish equipment on ebay as opposed to new from a place like DishDepot that I have seen recommended in other posts? Obviously experience may vary as with anything ebay related but keeping costs down is always nice, especially knowing I'll be experiencing an increase in equipment fees.

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Remotes come with Joey. You are not paying a programming fee for Joey, rather an equipment fee. Your logic is sound about activating as needed. Anything sold on eBay should be verified with Dish (R00#) as to weather the Joey is indeed retail or owned and not leased.

Reactions: Tampa8

JM42

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2010
GA
It should come with a remote. I suppose a less than scrupulous dealer could remove it.

Ebay should be fine, just call Dish with the receiver number first to make sure it's not coming from a leased account. Make sure it's a seller with many and overwhelmingly positive reviews.

I'd place the upgrade order with Dish to include the guest bedroom Joey so the installer will get everything set up correctly, then return extra Joey - or at least have the purchased Joey on hand before the installer comes.

Dave_Sat

May 18, 2011
Bend, OR
Thanks for the responses and good points. Is DIRT able to verify receivers? And while I imagine I'd have no issue with setup of a Joey on my own (cabling is only four years old and I'm a tech savvy person) probably a good idea to have it on hand for install regardless.

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Not positive, but I believe Dirt can verify. Considering the low price point to begin with for Joey's I would feel better going through the likes of Solid Signal. Also, you would be certain you are buying a new piece of equipment as opposed to a possible refurb.

ChadT41

THE BEST THERE HAS EVER BEEN
Apr 20, 2014
Mesa, Az
The only problem I would see with purchasing a Joey from eBay or Amazon, is if not new in the box it might not have a remote, but the packaging for a new Joey includes a remote. Do you have the capability to do a virtual Joey?

Reactions: Tampa8

Dave_Sat

May 18, 2011
Bend, OR
You know, I didn't even think about the virtual Joey as an option. But now I can't find any more information than it is supported on the PS4 and a different forum post about LG TV's post 2013. Any ideas on other brands, I have a somewhat recent Vizio in that room.

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
The virtual Joey application is so limited (PS4 and SOME LG models) I don't know why they even bother with it. Not to mention you would still pay the $7 fee. I'd rather have something that I could throw against the wall if the need arose.

Dave_Sat

May 18, 2011
Bend, OR
If it was supported a virtual Joey would be perfect for this application as it would negate the need to purchase a Joey that would seldom be used. I understand the $7 fee is now less about covering an offset in equipment and more of covering the programming costs and technical costs - I imagine the small amount of supported devices is due to the hardware and software platform in so many so called, 'smart' tv's being terrible. I can't imagine Dish wanting to field service calls for tv's that really just aren't up to the task. Dish is probably hoping to have more supported devices moving forward.

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
Anyone have experience purchasing a Joey rather than the standard lease? If so do they generally come with a remote or would that have to be purchased separately?

Some background, I currently have a setup with a 722k that TV1 is a main living room setup, TV2 is connected to a guest bedroom, and a third tv is mirrored over component video. I also have a 211k w/EHD set up in bedroom for DVR functionality. I'm strongly considering moving to the Hopper w/Sling, mostly to gain the extra functionality of offline viewing on a tablet on airplanes, but also because the guest bedroom control has never worked well, and the 211k can be laggy at at times. So I'd get the Hopper w/Sling to replace the 722k, and a Joey/SuperJoey for the bedroom. But as the guest bedroom doesn't get used often it makes little sense to pay a programming fee for a second Joey unless I know someone's visiting. This leads me to believe purchasing a Joey is the way to go for that room. As an additional question does anyone have much experience in purchasing used Dish equipment on ebay as opposed to new from a place like DishDepot that I have seen recommended in other posts? Obviously experience may vary as with anything ebay related but keeping costs down is always nice, especially knowing I'll be experiencing an increase in equipment fees.
Is your 211k purchased or leased? If it is purchased, you could move it to the guest bedroom and activate / deactivate it as needed. If I remember correctly, Dish allows up to two 211k receivers on a Hopper/Joey account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)