Remote controls

R0ss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Ayer, Ma
My mother has dementia and has a difficult time remembering witch buttons to use on the remote. My dad has taped up the remote to try and keep her from pushing the wrong buttons but invariably she manages to do it, frequently enough that it is a real problem.
I am thinking of buying a remote from ebay, they have a 301. Taking it apart and deactivating the buttons that are the problem. They are on the welcome pack and only watch the locals so all that is needed is on off and the number buttons. Short of that is anyone aware of a aftermarket remote that just has nothing more than an on off button and a number pad?

Ross
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My mother has dementia and has a difficult time remembering witch buttons to use on the remote. My dad has taped up the remote to try and keep her from pushing the wrong buttons but invariably she manages to do it, frequently enough that it is a real problem.
I am thinking of buying a remote from ebay, they have a 301. Taking it apart and deactivating the buttons that are the problem. They are on the welcome pack and only watch the locals so all that is needed is on off and the number buttons. Short of that is anyone aware of a aftermarket remote that just has nothing more than an on off button and a number pad?

Ross

What receiver,a 301? Dish sells a basic remote with limited buttons which are also bigger.

What about putting the remote in limited mode? Only power, volume and mute will work for the tv. It disables the other tv controls, might help.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Thanks for the info so far. What I am looking to do is fix the remote so my mom can turn on the TV, adjust volume and change the channels on the dish receiver ( not on the TV)
Unfortunately my dad bought off brand TVs, which has made it just about impossible to find a code for the tv to program into the dish remote. They currently are using a remote for the TV..on off and volume, and the dish remote to change channels. My dad has both remotes taped up to make it more difficult for my mom to use the wrong buttons, but I guess she manages to change the tv channel at least once or twice a week, and sometimes she even changes the input. Of course it happens at the worst times, my dad gets frustrated and my mom gets bitchy and the circle begins. They are both in their late 80's, my dad is not technologically savvy and has no desire to be either. The only reason they have dish is because they were convinced that they wouldn't be able to receive an OTA signal, after the digital change over. They had OTA prior to the change over. But that is another story.

I'll get in touch with DIRT about the remote with larger/limited buttons...

Thanks

Ross

Get a harmony remote. You can then make any buttons do anything - or nothing. That way only volume, changing channels, etc.. will work. Make it the same for what ever option she picks - like watch a movie or listen to music, whatever mode she picks it will always change channels just on the Dish box, and change volume from the TV. (Or whatever limited actions you want available)

Get a Dish 20.0(IR) or 21.0(UHF) remote that you can teach from the original TV remote then put it in limited mode so the TV channel or input can't be changed. That should do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)