Remote Question

RobertsD

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Layton, UT
Hey, I have a 811 reciever that is hooked to my HDTV via component, and composite.

The reason I do that, is because standard definition channels look better through the composite connection.

Anyways, there is a minor annoyance that I have. Apparently the installers set my 811 remote to automatically go to the Component 1 input(which the 811 is connected to) when I press the SAT button.

This makes it so that when I use the 811 remote to go to Composite 1(811 connected to), but then select SAT(so that i can control the 811), it changes back to Component 1. I can get around this my using the actual TV remote to go to the inputs, but I would much rather just be able to use the 811 remote.

So, my question is this. Is there any way to reprogram the 811 remote so that it does not automatically change my TV to component 1 when I press the SAT button?

TIA

I've never seen this happen. I'd check to see if your recover button is stuck down or something. Normally when you press the Sat Button it only tells the remote to control the satellite. This isn't to mention the fact that not many of the standard remotes are you able to change Video Inputs on your TV even in TV mode.

the tate, No I've had the RCA HDTV for about 1 1/2 years, I just got dish last week.

No matter what channel or input I am on with the TV, when I push the SAT button on the remote, it changes the TV to Component input 1.

Oh, and Johntenn, I am able to use the 811 remote in TV mode to change channels, inputs, volume, go into the menu, etc. So it seems to work fully with my TV.

Anybody have any idea of what do do?

Oh, and just a note, the installers programmed the remote to work with the TV when they did the installation, I was not the one that did it...

I know on the models of tv that dish put out "they were RCA" when you push the sat button it automaticly goes to the componet input. It is more than likley going to do that if the remote is programmed to the tv.

You need to go into the TV menu and search for the option to change how the TV handles the signal. I know with my RCA HDTV I have it set up the exact same way, when the SAT button is pushed the TV automatically switches to the DVI input, when I press the VCR button it switches over to the component input so I can use my DVD player. I find its a great feature but it needs to be adjusted in the TV menus.

Edit: On my TV its in the menu under SETUP then AUTOTUNING, hope this helps!

Last edited:
yeah RCA actually manufactured the Dish 34 and 40 CRTs. there is an option in the Dish CRTs to pick which input the TV goes to when you press the mode buttons. It is under the Autotuning feature like kresston said. or you could just remember to cover up the ir blaster on the remote everytime you press the sat button ;-) if you can't disable it through your TV menus, one other thing you can try is to put the remote in limited mode by adding a "1" to the end of the TV code. I don't have one here to try it on, but i'm pretty sure it disables the feature of the remote that sends that IR command to your TV when the sat button is depressed.

kresston said:
You need to go into the TV menu and search for the option to change how the TV handles the signal. I know with my RCA HDTV I have it set up the exact same way, when the SAT button is pushed the TV automatically switches to the DVI input, when I press the VCR button it switches over to the component input so I can use my DVD player. I find its a great feature but it needs to be adjusted in the TV menus.

Edit: On my TV its in the menu under SETUP then AUTOTUNING, hope this helps!
That worked! Thank you so much :)

Under autotuning, I set cable/sat to N/A, now it behaves how I wanted.

The model is D40W20. It's a 40 inch HDTV ready.

I got it last October for $800 at walmart, because they were getting in the 51 inch model. Normally it was like $1148 I think.

I've got a D32F750T. It's a 32 inch HDTV ready set with a E* 942 connected to the DVI port.

It was bought in April at Walmart as well, but managed to get a great deal on it, worth like $1049 got it for $398, since it was the last one in stock and was the one on the shelf as a display model.

Pretty nice for the price, widescreen would have been much better though ;)
I'm thinking of hooking the 811 to the reciever via DVI instead of component, but I've read that it doesn't make much of a difference on CRT TV's. Do you think the difference is worth it?

By the way, here is the link to my TV, forgot to put the link in my other post.
D40W20

We have been very happy with it :)

Last edited:
LOL, I agree a widescreen would have been better but it was an impulse buy since
a. needed an HDTV for the 942
b. good price and
c. someone else wanted it too :devil:

With our tv it was the only way to 1080i from the 942 since DVI is the only input that will do 1080i, according to what I've read on the site. To be honest I don't see much difference between DVI and component but thats just me. But I will say I saw a difference watching a DVD between composite and component, with component being how I got the DVD hooked up now.

PS We've been very happy with ours, it was the first TV we've bought in about a decade. The TV replaced a very old 25 inch RCA that is now in another room hooked up with the second tv coax output of the 942.

Last edited:
kresston said:
With our tv it was the only way to 1080i from the 942 since DVI is the only input that will do 1080i, according to what I've read on the site. To be honest I don't see much difference between DVI and component but thats just me. But I will say I saw a difference watching a DVD between composite and component, with component being how I got the DVD hooked up now.
Hmm, the component inputs on my TV accept 1080i.

Your DVD's will obviously look better with component, since you are going from 480i to 480p, and that progressive scan makes a huge difference :)

LOL, to be honest I never tried hooking up the 942 with component, so it is possible for it to do 1080i, but the TV only has one set of component inputs too and I like to watch the DVD's on that input :D but with the DVI I have the 942 set to 1080i and 4x3 #2 and it looks great considering its the only HDTV we've ever owned. To be honest the only things hooked to it is the 942 via DVI and our Pioneer DV-250 DVD player via component.

Last edited:
Man, you should see all the wires behind my TV and equipment...

811 reciever
DVD player
VCR(rarely used)
Home theater reciever
Two Gamecubes(soon there will be a third)
Two Xbox's.

I've tried organizing the wires, but it is still a mess back there :devil:

LOL now on the 25 inch RCA I got a VCR, GameCube, and PS2 hooked up along with the coax of the 942. But *eventually* I want to get a home theater system, to us its not a priority though. Even though theres not that many things plugged in the wires are still a mess on the 942 :devil: its worse on the 25 inch RCA.

The only cords on the 942 I can think of are:
1 DVI Cord
2 sets of audio cords
1 component set of cables

and one phone line. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts